New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Ok. Thank you.

But what about putting and pulling the adapter and the 7F7 valve on the amp? Any warning?

2. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

No problem whatsoever here. I pull the adapter out of the amp with the tube still on as easily as pulling a tube without an adapter out of the amp, then I take my time getting the tube out of the adapter in order to try a different 7F7 tube.

3. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hello Etor.
    Is this one the 7F7 you recomend? I ask because I can get it here at a very good price, but before buying it, I would like to be sure.

[​IMG]

4. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Pedro Guillemain likes this.
  5. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

6. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

That's a great idea. It will get the ECC32 sound throughout the frontend, and then only lose 3dB of power gain vs 6SL7+6SN7.

7. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I just bought one like this one and, just to try, one RCA black plate chrome.

I must be honest, if it sounds just similar to my favourite one, the RCA brown base, I will be very pleased. I'm in love with the RCA. It's amazing.

adamaley likes this.
  8. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I got Philco, Sylvania and RCA 7f7 tubes 20 minutes ago.

I also expect to get Tungsol, GE , Westinghouse and Raytheon 7f7 in 10 days.

After replacing RCA 5691(80$) with Philco, it sound fresh with darker background but too early to judge.

Initial impression is quite positeve with round texture, it is a steal at 10$.

It seems to have 5db less gain than 6sl7 tubes.

Thanks a lot Adamaley for letting me know this interesting tubes and lending an adapter to me.

Other tubes being used in LM 508 are National Union 805, Acme 300b and 1578 Melz(6sn7).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    adamaley likes this.
  9. dakchi

dakchi Member

Hello,
    I am the lucky owner of this amp since September. Although the sound is great, I would like to start rolling the tubes. Based on your experience, which tubes would have the biggest impact on sound? some say that it is the 805 tube and others says that it is 6SL7. Which brand would you recommend?
    Many thanks

10. thomaskong

My experience is 805 and 6sn7 give almost same effect.
    Value wise 6sl7 will give most effect.
    Choice of tube will dependent on system and your taste.
    If you specify your speaker and front end(Dac, Cd player or turntable ), then I may give you starting tube.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  11. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I would advice to roll first the 6SL7 tube as it's only one and there are many choices at low prices.

The nicest one I've tried is a Sylvania 6SL7 wgt brown base.

Some other forum members recomend 7F7 tubes, wich need an adaptor, but may be you can start with plain simple 6SL7 tubes.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

IME, in the following order of most to least; 6SL7, 6SN7, 300B, 805.

13. dakchi

dakchi Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your reply. My speakers are Spendor D7. My DAC is Denafrips Ares ii

14. thomaskong

Your system is in neutral side to slightly warm.

Then you may try either Russina 6n9s (50$ per pair from Ebay) or Tungsol or RCA vt229 (around 50$ for tube.

RCA 5691 give very detailed and dynamic sound but more costly (80$ or up for one tube, Ebay)

Be sure to order tubes from dealer who offer return.

I had been impressed with Sylvania 7F7 tube that I got yesterday.

If you do not mind getting adapter, you may try 7f7 tube.

2pc 7N7 7F7 TO 6SN7 6SL7 tube converter adapter for you amp | eBay

If you are happy with improvement brough by 6sl7, then you can change 6sn7 as next step

15. dakchi

dakchi Member

Any idea where I can order one?

16. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

@Strat-Mangler referred me to the Mullard ECC35. Mine is a late 50s I believe and it does make a material difference. I tried about 4 others and the Mullard is by far the best.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. dakchi

dakchi Member

Is Tung Sol 6SL7 any good?

18. Strat-Mangler

There are a few different ones. I'd suggest going for the Mullard ECC35.

19. dakchi

dakchi Member

Mullard ECC35 is way too expensive

20. Strat-Mangler

True, but worth it.

21. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Not in the US, I bought mine in my country. Nevertheless, You can find it on ebay at about U$S 20/30 top.

On page 88, the 10 of december I posted a picture of some 6SL7 I've tried, where you can find a picture for reference. I prefered Sylvania 6SL7 WGT brown base over the rusdian Melz and the Sylvania VT-229.

If your system is not bright, as I believe, I think you will like this valve.

22. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

By the way, I also have an R2R DAC, the Audio-gd R8 and I believe my speakers are similar to yours, british Q Acoustics Concept 500.

The LM-508 can be a little harsh sounding until you balance it with tube rolling. I also suggest Herbie's tube dampers, after finding the best valves for your taste.

23. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I've been searching this thread and couldn't find an easy answer. I'm looking into a Line Magnetic integrated and try to find out the sound differences between the 805ia and the 845ia. I am not very familiar with the tubes in each, and not sure if the type of tube is the major thing driving the sonic character of each integrated (or something else). I have very efficient speakers, so power output will not be an issue. Or any other recommendations in the LM lineup? Starting the research process. Thanks in advance.

I know I don't want anything that could lean toward the bright side in the midrange/treble, and don't want a flat sound either. Warm, rich, relaxed, but not too forward sounding (in your face) is what I am after. Transparent enough to get enough detail out of recordings but not the most important thing to me. Also looking into low powered Leben, Audio Note... any other recommendations?

24. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

There's a good comparative review here: Line Magnetic LM-88IA, LM-150IA, LM-845IA, LM-805IA and LM-845 Premium – part 1

bajaed and Timeless Classics like this.
  25. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

Now that we are talking about tube rolling across the board, I am now looking at the 805's. I think the RCA 805's are a little too $$$ at $900+ a pair after tax/shipping (from my quick checks on eBay.

So I am tempted to try the new Linlai 805A-DG ... and furthermore tempted to buy them from a Chinese retailer. Just over $300 all in for a pair vs just over $500 at Grant Fidelity! Aside from warranty issues, I am wondering what people think of this nonsense on the linlai global page ... LINLAI™ Global Vacuum Tubes – [The Official Export Platform] . Specifically:

Tubes bearing [LINLAI™ Global] logo are engineered, produced and carefully screened to exclusively meet western music listeners’ preference:

1) Aim to a very high degree of faithful reproduction of western music instruments, such as piano, acoustic and electric guitar, acoustic and electric bass / double bass, kick drums etc, which are common in western recordings but not as common in Asian music;

2) Create live-like sound image width and depth, and offer realistic balance across high, mid and bass frequencies, without exaggerating the ultra high frequencies (much of Asian music does focus more ultra high’s and Asian audiophiles are accustomed to such a type of sound).

LINLAI™ Tubes sold to vendors in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau are tuned, produced and screened to meet Asian audiophile’s listening habits and preferences. They bear a different domestic logo – which is written in Chinese language. Such tubes will NOT have warranty from [Linlai™ Global] to buyers from outside of above-mentioned Asian regions.

While the logo is certainly in english instead of Chinese, I really find it hard to believe that mass produced tubes are "screened" based on their individual sonic qualities for domestic Chinese markets vs the rest of the world. Unless there is some super awesome voodoo magic in tube production that can tune the frequency response of a tube when being produced, they would literally have to listen to each tube and subjectively decide what it sounds like. I think this is just vaguely worded BS to get people to purchase from western retailers ... what do you think??