New Looney Tunes shorts on HBO Max

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Last year, Warner Bros. promised 1,000 new minutes of Looney Tunes cartoons. Not The Looney Tunes Show, not Wabbit Tunes (or “Looney Tunes Cartoons” if you want to be technical): animator-created, storyboard-generated, delightful mayhem, like it was in the ‘30s, ‘40s and ‘50s.

Here’s the first 90 seconds of this new campaign, “Dynamite Dance,” which stars Bugs and Elmer in their ‘40s designs. It’s as though Bob Clampett, himself, traveled through time to make a short for the age of short attention spans.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Outstanding! I'm glad there will be new Looney Tunes shorts for kids to enjoy. They should put these in the theaters in front of kids' movies like the good old days.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

How much do I have to pay to insure all 1000 minutes are done like this????

guy incognito, crispi and daca like this.
  4. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Kids. Lol. I’m pretty sure the target audience is adults.

Agreed! I want 10,000 minutes.

[​IMG]

5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Yeah, the pace is almost seizure inducing. Love the look, but I hope all 1,000 aren't this neckbreak.

6. Strat-Mangler

Agreed. I guess it might be to save on the animation. Instead of animating the characters clearly running in and out of frame, just flash them back at zooming speed so you don't have to animate much to convey the idea they leave and come back.

The jokes would have much more impact at a slower pace and the ability to clearly see the characters' movements would definitely make this much more rewarding. I'd be perfectly OK with paying more for quality material. My guess is this stuff is likely sent to South Korea to be animated like The Simpsons and Family Guy anyway. It's also possible that whoever would be in charge over there wouldn't quite understand the tradition upon which WB cartoons was founded.

I get the music piece is fast-paced but one joke doesn't even have enough time to land before another one takes place. Not trying to be critical as I'm delighted real animation is making a slight comeback but anything worth doing is worth doing right and that sample doesn't do it for me.

NOTE : Although it doesn't fix the audio, setting the playback speed in YouTube to 0.75 or 0.5 (depending on the sequences) fixes the rhythm of some of the animated sequences to something more akin to vintage WB.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Gotta keep moving quick with all those explosives going off!!!!.........:laugh:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why, what would happen if your son or daughter saw that, and decided to stick dynamite in hunters' mouths...think of the children...! :cop:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I don't think it's any faster than something like The Rabbit of Seville.

I'm knocked out by this and I can't wait to see more.

10. Chris DeVoe

I think it is the responsibility of every individual parent to keep lit sticks of dynamite out of out of their children's hands.

Remember: When lit sticks of dynamite are outlawed, only outlaws will have lit sticks of dynamite.

11. Chris DeVoe

Excellent post except you misspelled "Wobert W. Cwampett."

12. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Don't know that we are really in age of short attention spans any longer. Everyone goes down their own rabbit hole. The challenge is getting anyone's attention in the first place.

This segment is too much Roger Rabbit. Too much frenzy. It's not funny to me. Just an incredible simulation of bygone art.

I did prefer The Looney Tunes Show, which was an attempt to adapt the characters to a new world. Throwing in a bunch of 1940s references at this point? That world is gone. Watch the old cartoons.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Suddenly I'm curious as to whether the legendary Mr. Acme has ever stood on a stage at a trade convention, holding a lit stick of dynamite aloft and proclaiming:
    "THEY CAN HAVE MY LIT STICK OF DYNAMITE WHEN THEY PRY IT FROM MY BLACKENED, DEAD FINGERS!" :cussing: "...which will probably be somewhere over there..."

14. Strat-Mangler

Huh? I'm guessing you're misremembering because there's a huge difference in pacing. Immense, even!

15. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

As a kid, Looney Tunes led me to believe that sticks of dynamite and giant wooden barrels of TNT were commonplace items that were easy to come by.

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Since this is just an excerpt you can't judge the whole cartoon. But it looks right for the first time in a long time. The real test is when the characters speak. It takes a team of twenty to cover one Mel Blanc.
    Dance Of The Hours is a good musical choice.

17. Strat-Mangler

He wasn't known as The Man Of A 1000 Voices for nothing.

18. AKA

The new guy they have doing Bugs and Daffy, Eric Bauza, is as close to Mel Blanc as they’ve gotten in the past 50 years. He’s even better than Mel was the last 20 years or so of his life.

LOONEY TUNES VOICE ACTORS SURPRISE WB STUDIO TOUR | The Looney Tunes Critic

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

:biglaugh:That made me laugh out loud!

20. AKA

Here’s leaked footage from another short, starring Daffy and Porky:

21. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

This is so cool. Taking things back to a 1940s style, rather than modernizing, is the right thing to do, I think. I'm wondering what the distribution stream for this will be. It'd be neat to have them put in theaters with films, but also to have a second option as well. Netflix, streaming perhaps, or digital downloads?

EdgardV and longdist01 like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

I just watched it again, and towards the end, when Bugs gives Elmer the box of candy and flowers is just as fast.

This is a trailer basically, rather than a full cartoon. Of course it's a bunch of action.

That said, it's beautiful work. The folks who worked on it have a good feel for the characters and I can hardly wait to see a full cartoon from them. I'm wondering if it is the state of the art of computer in-betweening, inking and painting.

23. Chris DeVoe

He's remarkable!

AKA and EdgardV like this.
  24. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

And Carl Stalling-ish music.

jerol

geo50000 likes this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I realize these posted video samples are just excerpts and I too have issues with the frenetic pacing and timing as Strat-Mangler pointed out. But what I see missing and is what really made Warner Bros. cartoons so much better than MGM's and others was the Brooklyn, New York street wise irreverence and smart aleck attitudes in the delivery of the dialog which has a lot to do with the writing, timing and delivery of the lines provided by the voice actors.

I mean why would someone write a line for a cartoon rabbit such as Bugs Bunny using an insult such as "What a maroon!". That's a level of sophisticated word play and character development rarely seen even in live action comedies today. I just hope the makers of this Warner Bros. cartoon reprise keep it adult oriented in its humor. If they don't then it just becomes cartoon cereal box characters like Lucky Charms and Tony The Tiger animation.

guy incognito and EdgardV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.