New Looney Tunes shorts on HBO Max

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Cool, thanks for sharing that.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I have HBO Max and love it! Happened to watch the episode Slick Hare that features caricatures of a ton of Hollywood legends like Bogart and Jimmy Stewart. I was wondering folks knew of any others from this list that feature more Hollywood legends?

3. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

This one made me laugh out loud. It also made my oldest (who loves Looney Tunes - even that b&w Porky set I blight) burst out with “Can we get HBO Max???”

AKA likes this.
  4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

There is an Oscar episode where Bugs does impersonations and another called Hollywood Steps Out.

PTgraphics likes this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I am loving the new cartoons. Very much enjoying the Porky and Daffy shorts as the original cartoons featuring them didn’t get nearly as much airtime as later Bugs and RR cartoons when I was a kid.

Nice to see Porky not reduced to a doddering simp or Daffy as a straight man set up guy. I like my Daffy Looney! WhooohoooHoooWhhooooHhhOOoooooooWhooooooOooooooo!

6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

looks 100 per cent better than anything they have produced in the last 20 years !

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

8. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

It’s funny how this clip is up for a year with no complaints, then suddenly an inflammatory article in the NY Post sets off an avalanche of whiny SH.tv crybabies about how WB has somehow gone all PC because Elmer now has a scythe instead of a gun...

Why weren’t these people complaining last year when the cartoon was first put up?

Why does a ridiculous article in a rag like the NY Post set them off? (A year after the fact, to boot! :rolleyes:)

The same people who liked the new cartoon before are now against it because of a freaking opinion piece in a tabloid...

:crazy:

9. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

That's how the internet works.

10. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My 2 cents: The Fudd decision is silly.

And this, my friends and associates, is the extent of the time I'll spend thinking about this.

Spaghettiows and Exotiki like this.
  11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

One test of mine is if HBO Max has Hillbilly Hare - one of Merry Melodies greatest. A search indicates it's not there. If they had more of these great cartoons, uncut and restored, like you can get on disc, I'd be in, largely just for these cartoons. But the fact that they've caved and are cutting and editing like they are doing (in addition to omitting a lot of great ones) is a HUGE negative. I view it as a waste of time to watch one of these and discover it's been edited to appease someone's political beliefs.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  12. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

This seems to be a fairly wide misconception - every short on the service is completely uncut. In fact, Warner's hasn't edited the content of one of their classic shorts in years, maybe decades, just keeping an eye on the ones they widely distribute. Also, I'd say there are around 100 or so newly restored toons that have not made it to disc yet. Plus, new shorts are always popping up, so wouldn't surprise me if "Hillbilly" appeared one day. Don't think there's anything particularly questionable about that one.

From what I've gathered/heard, the only shorts that won't be on the service are those that feature suicide gags or racial stereotypes. All other cartoon violence seems fair game, with several gun-centric shorts ("Rabbit Seasoning," "Rabbit Fire," "Rabbit Every Monday") accounted for. (No, I don't work for HBOMax.)

BeatleJWOL and Paul Gase like this.
  13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’ve been really enjoying watching old and new LT on HBO Max. It’s pretty awesome. I don’t get the complaints.

14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The only complaint I have, which is usual for all of the WB cartoon comps, is that there are still missing shorts that are not controversial. I am hoping that they will be added in the very near future, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

15. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Good to know it's just the new ones that they are watering down - like the Elmer Fudd episode someone mentioned above. I read that when ABC aired Hillbilly ABC edited some scenes out. From Wikipedia:

"This cartoon saw major editing when aired on ABC due to violent content. The following scenes were edited:
    • The scene where Bugs mistakes Curt's gun for a camera and has his carrot shot full of holes was cut.
    • The scene where Curt unties his rifle barrel, gets blasted in the face, was cut.
    • The scene where Bugs meets up with Punkinhead, and Bugs reverses the gun barrel so that the second hillbilly is blown up was cut.
    • The aftermath of the explosion in the dynamite shack sequence where Curt comes out with Bugs' lit lighter and says, "I think y'all are usin' too strong a fluid!" was also cut.[4]
    • The line during the square-dance ending that goes: Grab a fence post/Hold it tight/Whomp yer partner/Wit' all yer might/Hit 'im in the shin/Hit 'im in the head/Hit 'im again/The critter ain't dead/Whomp 'im low and whomp 'im high/Stick yer finger in his eye/Pretty l'il rhythm/Pretty l'il sound/Bang yer head against the ground (and the ensuing comic violence that follows) was also cut."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.