New Luxman Turntable coming in 2023-PD-191A

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Sep 27, 2022.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since I have been quite impressed with my Luxman 595ase integrated, This new one may be next on my list. I would still keep my 1200GR as a dedicated 78rpm table. The screenshot below is translated from a Japan website

[​IMG]

MikeJedi and T69 like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

3. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

That new SAEC tonearm must really be expensive!

Hehe, that's about double the price of basically the same PD-171A with the Jelco tonearm, but maybe that price is just speculation.

ls35a likes this.
  4. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I wish Luxman would buy Panasonic's motor from the Technics SL-1200G and bring out a really nice DD table. I bet it would look and sound amazing albeit priced a good bit north of the SL-1200G...

5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

That would be fantastic!! A 191-D version. I prefer DD, however, I’m fine with a belt drive as long as the speed is consistent.

6. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Still worth it.

Angsty likes this.
  8. Angsty

Angsty Active Member

I got the Japanese version of the PD-151 Mk2, used, for a significant discount. It was a fabulous upgrade from a VPI Traveler.

The new PD-191 has the same drive motor as the PD-151 models, which is a DC drive instead of the AC drive in the PD-171. Luxman suggests it is a much quieter motor. I certainly cannot hear when it is running on the PD-151 Mk2.

The longer, more sophisticated arm on the PD-191 may indeed be measurably better than the shorter arm of the PD-151 Mk2. However, in a comparison to the 10” arm on the Traveler, the PD-151 Mk2 performs notably better. I’m not sure how much better the 10” PD-191 arm (and thicker plinth, heavier platter) would be for the extra coinage.

9. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I’ll buy a 191A for my downstairs system since I want a somewhat different sound (belt drive) as opposed to my Technics DD 1200g upstairs. !!

lol my wife would slaughter me. Maybe if I hit the jackpot someday. !
    It really looks like a solid solid piece. I wish they would make a DD table though as well :)

anyone hear one yet ? I know the 151 and 171 are similar though :)

Ingenieur likes this.
  10. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

How do you know ?

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The 151A mark ii looks almost as nice. For the money I bet. That would be more realistic for me if I decide to use it downstairs as opposed to my old workhorse 1200 mk5 for a bit different sound also different from my upstairs 1200G piece.
    Too bad the 191 is 12.5 k. $5500.00 is better lol. The 151 mark ii still weighs almost as much as the 1200G. Nice. :)

12. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Aw man, don't cheap out, you were hot on the 171A just a week ago and about to overpay for a used one.... :)

Give it a year or two, wait'll one pops overseas for $3K (a 191A) and think about it then is my take. Because that's what plays out... all the time.

It looks pretty sweet by the way... and a Lux lovers dream! :) With your system, how could you *not* end up with one of these. I'd own this TT happily too.... if I didn't already own too many that is, I have to be a net seller for a couple of years and thin the heard first.

Anyway, the only reason I even opened the thread was to see if you replied LOL.

MikeJedi likes this.
  13. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Still am, but not overpaying imho
    $4k, before negotiations ;)
    US model
    Dust cover
    Known providence
    New AT VM750SH
    no tax, 1/2 tank of gas

worth $700 to me :)

14. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Actually wasn't really sure what you were paying, just razzing.... and this topic hits close to home for your recent TT desires!

Ingenieur likes this.
  15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Look at my profile.

nutsfortubes and Ingenieur like this.