New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Congratulations George. :)
    It's one more step in your audio universe.
    I'm still researching the Denon 1600NE, due to the influence of your threads and posts, I was really interested in that CD / SACD player.
    I know this is not the appropriate thread, but I would like to know your opinion ... Do you think it is still a good buy?
    I'm sorry, but you know how it is ... All advice and opinions are welcome.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks! :wave:

I think it is a good buy if you want a more analytical player. On my system, though, the Denon isn't musical enough on many recordings I own. If you have more specific questions and want to ask in the Denon thread, I'd be happy to answer them.

Carlox likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, I set my Ruby up this morning and have had it playing with the sound down all day. I haven't had time to listen, as I have been working, but I noticed a few things and wanted to ask you guys:

1. The tray is super slippery, huh? Seems very easy to place a disc incorrectly. Anyone find a sure fire way to load discs on this tray?

2. The RCA connections are not as tight as my prior players. Do you guys find these to be on the loose side? Is this anything to be concerned about?

Dan Steele and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

George I can’t answer the questions but I can’t wait to hear how you like the sound. It’s a little too rich for my blood but I would love to live with one for a while. Marantz has made some amazing sounding SACD/CD players.

garrincha, Carlox and George P like this.
  5. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Thanks George.
    Enjoy your new cd player ;)

George P likes this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a 30n arriving next week.

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i'm in the market to upgrade my marantz sa8005. has anyone compared the ruby directly to the 30n?
    how about the new technics sl g700? thanks

Dan Steele, guestuser and bruce2 like this.
  8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been thinking the same about upgrading my SA8005. I wonder if the 30n gets you close to the sound of the Ruby for quite a bit less money. They both use the MMM conversion and I think probably the same transport mechanism as well. If the 30n gets you close to the sound of the Ruby for $1500 less than I am all for it.

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Don't forget the Denon DCD-A110

avanti1960 likes this.
  10. bruce2

I have been considering it as well, but from all I have read the Marantz players seem to have a warmer sound signature which I enjoy, while the Denon has been described as more detailed and analytical.

soundboy and George P like this.
  11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

To me, they sound very close (RUBY/SACD30).

Dan Steele and bruce2 like this.
  12. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

Do you know what are the dac chips used on the various players in single or piggyback? I am assuming they are the same BurrBrown delta sigma and the difference is in the analog output stage of each player?

13. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Regarding the tray, I haven't had an issue but I do make sure of placed the cd properly in my SA-10 because the indent for the disc isn't that deep

Regarding the RCA, I use the XLR's on my player but the PM-10 has one pair of these machined RCA inputs and YES, some interconnects will slide on/off a bit too easy. I don't really use that input so it's not an issue but I think they must be machined ever so slightly smaller than the standard gold plated versions which are tight with RCA plugs.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. Do you think the (much) less connection will be an issue?

15. bruce2

Do they seem close in build quality as well? Namely, is the disc transport of the same high quality as the Ruby? I believe the literature says they both use an SACD-M3 mechanism. I am just concerned that they cheapened the disc spinning quality of the 30n in order to load it up with the streaming and other features. I would only be using it to play CDs and SACDs. Thanks for your feedback!

Luc.Benac likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

I tried to look up the manual for the 30n to compare to the features of it to the Ruby, but the manual doesn't seem to list them. I suggest downloading the manual for the Ruby, as on page 3 it lists all of the many features it has. Maybe somewhere online the features for the 30n are listed. I sincerely doubt that it matches the Ruby internally or aurally. I am only 12 hours in and the Ruby sounds like an absolute dream! well worth saving your money and a big step up from the SA8005, which I owned briefly a few years back.

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The RCA connections on my Marantz SA8005 are slightly looser than others. Never had an issue with a variety of cables. The thing sounds incredible.

George P, garrincha and Dan Steele like this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I've had my Ruby for over a year now. Still loving it!

George P likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Too early to call it love, but we're on our first date and it's going really well!

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for reporting this. I crimped my RCA cable a bit this morning and now the fit seems more snug.

21. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

okay now. don’t think you’re going to tease us with “sounds like a dream” and go all silent.... :agree: what’re you hearing? (asks the recent denon owner)

22. George P

George P Notable Member

:D

I have learned from experience not to say too much until 100 hours or so and I am only at 29 hours now. Most of that time was playing CDs, since my burn in discs are all CD only. However, the redbook already sounds better than I have ever heard. Zero listening fatigue, yet not dull at all. Detailed yet musical. Dynamic too and very analog-sounding. I also like the two filters it offers, the second one is flat EQ, the first has more of that Marantz, warm sound. The filters only work on PCM, though.

SACD is still a bit bright, but already more analog-sounding and more powerful than my old Denon DCD1600NE. I will be playing a disc on repeat all day and night for the weekend when not listening.

I also was not prepared for how well this thing is made. I thought the front would be plastic like their less expensive models, since the design is similar. Nope. All thick metal and copper. Even the buttons have an action that makes me confident that they will last. The remote is nice, too, though I will be using my Harmony remote to control the Ruby from my listening position.

Also was pleasantly surprised by the headphone jack and volume control. It already sounds better than the one on my Yamaha A-S801!

Oh and so far, not a single problem or defect. (fingers crossed)

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Is the volume knob on your Ruby awfully tight? On mine it is difficult to turn.

24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Always!

F1nut and George P like this.
  25. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

George, I hate to burst your bubble, but the left and right faceplate wings are plastic. Very nice plastic, but plastic. :)