New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

When I first signed up for this forum, I thought I was pretty satisfied with my equipment and the media I was feeding into it. Of course, there was always going to be the occasional upgrade to satisfy my inner audiophile. However, thanks to SHF, thousands of dollars later and CD, SACD, BD and vinyl purchases that I can measure by the foot, I realize how naive and wealthier I was when I got here. In other words, the herd mentality here is STRONG around here and I’m weak. :p

Where am I leading? I’ve always been a bit disappointed with the CD playback of my 8005 and felt that itch coming on. I find this thread and by the time I get halfway through it I’m a raving lunatic who’s credit card is literally exploding like the Genesis project in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan!!!! Then I find out this thing is on sale and I think spending $3K is a great deal!

In other words, I pulled the plug and ordered one. So thanks guys—no, really—thanks! :laugh:

GruvyWade, scobb, jusbe and 10 others like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes... it's a Vermont Castings Encore-KI Ruby SE :winkgrin:.

Ntotrar and Lebowski like this.
  3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Excellent choice! In case you havent tried already, you should try the Audioquest fresh logs in it

Lebowski and Bill Mac like this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's awesome TT! I think you'll really enjoy the SA-KI Ruby.

I agree with you 100% that since joining SH my allotted music and audio gear budget has been totally blown up!

Ntotrar, TheRealMcCoy and ti-triodes like this.
  5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Ha! Thanks Bill. It’s gotten to the point I even told the wife it was coming. :laugh:

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Too much IT. :cool:

7. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

$Pricey$ You know they cost $100 per board foot

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

All my firewood is cryogenically cured and all the ends are painted green ;).

Lebowski, Kyhl and SteveFord like this.
  9. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I sure am! Love my ATCs… I am very curious as well.. will be reporting back soon

ether-bored likes this.
  10. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Lol, no wood stoves for me:) Letting it get to room temp… then firing it up..

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Welcome to the SA-KI Ruby club! :wave:

ti-triodes and Ntotrar like this.
  12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i want to squeeze out of every silky smooth extra ember i can

13. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

I’m sure it was a low noise wood stove.

Speaking of which, is there such a thing as an audiophile kitchen sink? I often listen to music while cooking which goes fairly well until water is used in the sink, which wrecks the sound. Has anyone dampened their sink?

I know you’re out there…. Someone has done it….. right?

Swordsandchains likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

mitchius, Kyhl and DancingSea like this.
  15. kidzdoc

kidzdoc Forum Resident

I received my SA-KI Ruby yesterday and have been listening to some of my CDs and a SACD and wanted to chime in with my initial thoughts. By way of comparison, my current CDP is the AMR CD 77, which as you guys may recall, uses the legendary "King of the Multibit" Philips TDA 1541A DAC. This is an old-school DAC, so it was interesting comparing old versus new technology. I found the SA-KI to have better clarity and soundstage compared to CD77. It's like a veil was lifted off of the music coming from the speakers, allowing sound to extend past my speakers. The Marantz was just as musical and engaging without any listening fatigue or harsh digital noise. I was using Filter 2 on the SA-KI which I like better than Filter 1, although the difference is pretty subtle. It's been great going through my CD collection re-listening to some I haven't played in years. I haven't played any music from the USB or USB-DAC inputs yet, but will hook up my laptop over the weekend to check it out.

With regards to SACDs, I'm very slowly building my collection and was able to pick up the MFSL Brothers in Arms disc. This sounds great, but I still have to give a nod to the vinyl version. I have other SACDs on order and am anxious to listen to more in the future.

Overall, I'm very happy with this player and it has re-invigorated my interest in digital music again. I think at it's current price, the SA-KI represents a tremendous value. Unfortunately, it may mean the end of the road for my AMR CD77 CDP. At least for now...

jusbe, layman, TheRealMcCoy and 6 others like this.
  16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I too went from an SA-8005 to the Ruby, which I bought five months ago. Unlike you I was never disappointed in the CD playback of the SA-8005, I enjoyed it for 6 years but just had the urge to upgrade and buy a new toy. If anything, I found SACD playback on the 8005 to be a bit underwhelming. I find the Ruby to be an improvement on the 8005 in every way, but even more so on SACD than regular CD. Compared to the 8005 I find SACDs on the Ruby to sound richer, more analogue, and more detailed.

17. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

RE:Using the SA-KI as a DAC

For anyone using the USB/Coaxial/FiberOptic inputs, how do rate it? How do you like it?

I see that as one of the possible benefits of using the unit for not only CD/SACD duty but also to become the DAC in a system.

Would appreciate your feedback.
    ::At the current discount price::

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm using the SA-KI Ruby as a DAC and it sounds excellent IMO. I just started playing around with it yesterday as a DAC but so far so good. It's definitely a great benefit of the SA-KI Ruby and all of the digital input options. I can't think of a better option for a CD/SACD player and DAC at the current $3k sale price.

Cherrycherry and layman like this.
  19. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I use the Ruby for files (via thumb drive) and Apple Music (via Coax or AirPlay > Apple TV > optical). It sounds very good to me, but I have no experience with other DACs to make a comparison.

Cherrycherry and Bill Mac like this.
  20. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

Now a week in to owning the Ruby, and I’ve discovered a big issue with it. I’ve bought at least 10 CDs/SACDs from here and Discogs this week. :help:

seriously, as it continues to break in, just keeps getting better!

scobb, jusbe, layman and 3 others like this.
  21. Sound of music

Sound of music Member

Congrats to all new owners. Got mine back in 2019 from abt for $3,250 but the new price is just amazing.

Just a warning though, do NOT turn it off with a disk inside. I have read issues when turning it on again and not playing and getting stuck. Just make sure to eject your cds before turning it off.

One last thing for those interested in the PM-KI RUBY. I got mine a couple of years ago during black friday for 50% off ($2000) from bhphotovideo. If you call them, they might give you a great deal.

Enjoy!

layman likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

In the 9 months I have had mine I have often left discs inside, turned off and later on, and have never had this issue.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks! I haven't had any issues or expect to have any when leaving a disc in the SA-KI Ruby. Sometimes I don't play discs to the end so can't see taking a disc out only to put it back in. Great deal on the PM-KI Ruby!

24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I only have the 30n and if its only as good its great, if its better than wow, just wow!

F1nut and layman like this.
  25. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

The two are virtually identical when it comes to sound. Same transport, same DAC. 30n has the streamer. The Ruby has esoteric parts.

Bill Mac likes this.