New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

Correct. I assume yours does that?

2. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

anythjng with an active digital optical is going to do this. Does the ruby not include a cap for the outputs?

3. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

30n sacd but yes.

George P likes this.
  4. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Hi, everybody.

I've had my SA-KI Ruby for a couple of years now, and am very happy with it. But I just encountered a problem tonight trying to use the USB flash drive feature. The navigation does not seem to be working from the remote control for this feature. I can move between tracks on the one album on the flash drive it recognizes using the main fast forward/rewind buttons. But the arrow buttons that would allow me to navigate to another album just don't work at all. It's been a long time--possibly an entire year--since I've tried to use this function. I remember it being a little tricky in the past, but nothing like this. I switched out the batteries in the remote control just in case that was the problem, but it wasn't. I also tried a second flash drive I had, and it was the same issue. Anyone have any thoughts?

5. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

OK, I figured out what was wrong. On the top of the remote control, there are two sets of buttons to switch between CD and amp functions. While I made sure to press the top CD button, it took me a while to notice the lower one and try it--and that did the job!

6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

My Ruby recently seems to take a little longer to read a disc before playing. I haven't timed it, and I know in the past the some discs take longer than others. Has anyone else noticed (imagined) this?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Can't say if it's taken longer over time, but I have had to learn some patience to enjoy the Ruby. It often seems to take too long to do stuff that other players don't take as long to do. Thing is, they don't sound as good. So what I do is I load a disk and then press play. As I'm walking back to my listening position the drawer closes, the disk is read and play then begins. Usually at this point I have sat down for a brief moment.

clhboa, dougotte, ti-triodes and 2 others like this.
  8. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

all good things to those who wait

9. stvnharr

stvnharr Forum Resident

The problem is not your player, but your impatience.
    Nonetheless, Marantz sacd players are often a bit slower to read the TOC than some other players. It does tend to vary with discs.
    In my 2 years with the Ruby this is not an issue, though occasionally it does take an extra second or two to read the TOC of a disc. I do not consider this to be an inconvenience.

bruce2 likes this.
  10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My Denon universal player-issued as part of the 100 year anniversary set of components-takes a good deal of time to read/process before playback commencee. Sort of reminds one of those old ketchup commercials. But it has great sound.

Sound of music and George P like this.
  11. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

Three reasons I returned the Ruby SA-KI at the 30-day return period:

1. My current CD player (Philips CD880-1988 build) is 4X faster at loading/unloading/start playing music!
    2. The Ruby's redbook layer (which sounds Great) is Equal (no improvement) to the Philips' sonics (that has the TDA 1541A-S1 4X oversampling chip set)!!
    3. The Ruby's SACD playback also sounds stunning, but in a reality comparison with the Philips redbook, plays just 3db louder...adjusting levels proved they were Sonic Equals!!!

Of course YMMV...this was my experience with my ears! For further details, read my profile/information page!! :righton:

Ted

12. Sound of music

Sound of music Member

Congrats! I think Denon is one of the best and highly underrated. Some years ago, it was compared to Rega, Naim and other big names and Denon came as the winner. If I had had the chance to compare to the SA-KI, I would had probably gone with Denon.

I like more my Musical Fidelity A5CD on redbook CD (only plays CDs) AND, it is faster and dead silent. I do not hear to discs spinning as opposed to the Ruby, which I can hear it spinning sometimes from my sitting position.

BTW, can someone check to see if you can hear it spinning? You just have to play a SACD/redbook and then put in on MUTE and see if you can hear a noise. Thanks,

Daedalus and Ted Torres Jr like this.
  13. Sound of music

Sound of music Member

BTW, the Musical Fidelity A5CD player is from around 2005-2007

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Redbok CD definitely makes noise when spining. The noise is louder as you get to the end of the CD. The noise isn't always there though, it seems to come and go. And luckily, I can only hear it when I am a few feet from the player.

Sound of music likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I really haven't noticed that the SA-KI Ruby takes long to read a disc. Haven't noticed that CDs or SACDs differ in time it takes to start playback. Still quite happy with the SQ and workings of my SA-KI Ruby.
    I haven't noticed any disc playback noise with CDs or SACDs. But I'm not sitting that close to the SA-KI Ruby. Maybe the issue you're hearing is more related to the specific disc being played and not the SA-KI Ruby.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Sound of music, F1nut and jmadad like this.
  16. Sound of music

Sound of music Member

George P. I have exactly the same results. Same disk sometimes may make noise and other times not (so much). Same CD on the Musical Fidelity A5CD player is completely noise free.

Bill Mac, next time you play a CD, set the MUTE on and see of you hear any noise.

Thank you all for your replies.

George P likes this.
  17. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Mine is dead silent. Don’t mind the spin up time.

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I put my ear right up near the Ruby I can hear the disc spinning. Some CDs are noisier when spinning than others, probably down to disc manufacturing variables. The Ruby is quieter than my old Marantz SA-8005.

19. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Stick with the SACD

TheRealMcCoy likes this.
  20. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Mine loads discs, especially SACDs, very fast and is very quiet spinning discs. My seating position is also very close to the player (about 7 feet) and I have wood floors too. The SA-KI (mine at least) is significantly quieter than the SA8005 and the Denon DCD-1600NE. The 30N I had was also very quiet, though Ruby is tad quieter.

bruce2, jusbe and Bill Mac like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've played several CDs and the SA-KI Ruby's disc drive is very quiet. I tried playing tracks at the end of the CDs as well and still totally quiet. With my ear inches from the player all I hear is a very faint sound of the disc spinning. As far as load times it's a non issue as I'm in no rush for discs to start playing. I've never even noticed the disc load times but if it was 20-30 seconds that might be a cause for concern.

jusbe and bruce2 like this.
  22. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

If my fridge in the kitchen is off and I concentrate, I can faintly hear the disc spinning in a very quiet or soft passage, or between tracks. This is from about 7 feet away with wood floors.

But noise from drives spinning the discs is always variable due to tolerances in manufacturing and acoustical environments, as well as the discs themselves.

The SA-KI (mine at least) is commendably smooth and quiet a spinning discs, IME.

bruce2 likes this.
  23. Royalshowing

Royalshowing Member

No XLR Contections, Pass

24. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

contection??

F1nut likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm assuming you mean XLR connection. Most of my main system uses XLR and do not find any issues using RCA connections with the SA-KI Ruby. A few years back I had the Marantz SA-10 in my system for about six months. I eventually sold the SA-10 as I was listening to more multi-channel music at the time.

The SA-10 has XLR and going off memory the SA-KI Ruby sounds similar if not close to the same as the SA-10. I much prefer XLR as well but the sale price of $2999.00 for the SA-KI Ruby was too good to pass up

Audiofan1 likes this.