New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

It's a technology akin to that used by dCS. It's one of the reasons for why it sounds so great (ask dCS aficionados) and it's amazing that it is available at this price point. Only an old school company like Marantz has the engineering chops and resources to pull this off at scale and is a parting gift from Ken Ishiwata and the engineering team tasked with working with him.

dCS tech for a few thousand dollars. Seemingly few people realise this.

FramboGND, Tone?, ggjjr and 2 others like this.
  2. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Prior to acquiring the 30n I owned the DirectStream Junior and compared them.

In my opinion the Marantz MMM engineering is better and more sophisticated than PS Audio.

I noticed this most on redbook cd playback. PS Audio does DSD very well, but the Marantz smokes them on redbook cd.

I believe this is due to a better funded, and superior engineering team at Marantz.

Dave, Tone?, ggjjr and 4 others like this.
  3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Thanks for all the replies!

i still have the question if the Marantz has a softer attack.

i know I know I’m being a pain.
    I’m just asking because ever time I have used DSD it sounds softer than PCM.

that’s my concern.

Thanks to all in advance !

4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Are you talking about the newer PS audio Direct stream MKII that just came out?

thanks

5. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

As far as softer I can’t say but is it more musical, well as far as SACD the SA-KI is much more so then my previous SACD player an Esoteric SA-10 which was $3500.00 in 2007 when I got it. Listing to some RCA Living Stereo disc
    the louder passages have the sense of dynamics as in a live concert. And as far as red books this is best I have heard in my system. and on an other note the sound of upright bass it to die for the body and bloom of the instrument is spot on.

Audiofan1, jmadad, jusbe and 3 others like this.
  6. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

It’s supposed to be softer… doesn’t mean less detailed.. all about mastering of the album at the end of the day.

7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Are there any brands of amps and speakers that would not sound good with the Arabs SA-KA?Is a Marantz amp the best match?

8. nutsfortubes

What’s wrong with Arabs?

steveharris likes this.
  9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Auto correct strikes again!:DI Meant Marantz Ruby SA-KI…….Arabs LOL!

nutsfortubes likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think many amps would pair up quite well with the SA-KI Ruby including Marantz amps. If an amp didn’t sound well with the SA-KI Ruby it would be an amp I wouldn’t want to own.

Bananas&blow, RWAudio and steveharris like this.
  11. Hawkeye20

Hawkeye20 Well-Known Member

I wish you guys would shut up praising the SA KI Ruby ! I feel like I may have missed something somewhere.

I tried it on home demo and was very disappointed in it and it's PM KI Ruby brother (and I am a Marantz fan boy). I would rate them as quite good, but to me they sounded dull lifeless and shut in (like how I remembered the SA8005). Nice and rich though, which i like, and i could hear some detail. It lost on A-B tests against other CDP's i tried including my Marantz S14S1SE (my favourite at that point), Roksan M2, and even a vintage Marantz CD52ii (my favourite for many years and the reason I'm a Marantz fan boy). Speakers were Harbeth SLH5+ with a few different amps so the system was certainly good enough.

Probably had about 100 hours on it before I gave up on it and it's brother. I was a bit gutted because of it's engineering and heritage, but i had to trust my ears.

My latest adventure to improve on the Sa14S1SE is an Audiolab 6000cdt into a Denafrips Pontus 2, now there's a good combo !

scobb likes this.
  12. azideam

azideam Forum Resident

Which filter setting did you use on the SA KI?

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You had the SA-KI Ruby and didn't like it. So maybe it just wasn't for you. With that you probably aren't missing anything.

I have the SA-KI Ruby and find it sounds anything but dull, lifeless and shut in. It's one of the best sounding CD/SACD players I've owned. It's excellent as a DAC for listening to Qobuz.

14. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

That's not enough time. Some of the capacitors inside are huge. They take a long time to break in. Before they have, it will sound veiled. Need at least 200 hours.

azideam likes this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

List your system.

Tone? and nutsfortubes like this.
  16. DancingSea

We seem to have these odd notions of absolute truths in audio, especially in forums.

The reality is that with audio, we are essentially discussing ice cream. Discussions often go like someone saying "I don't understand how anyone could like this pistachio ice cream!" And then a debate unfolds, or the pistachio ice cream lovers jump in to defend their favorite ice cream. And someone will counter, "but what sort of cone did you use?" A response could be, "now chocolate coconut, that's real ice cream..." And it goes on like this for weeks, sometimes years.

It's like we're all a bunch of idiots!

rem 600, Leao and TheRealMcCoy like this.
  17. nutsfortubes

Vanilla is the true test of great ice cream. :goodie:

18. DancingSea

Will you please stop saying vanilla ice cream is great. I tried it, and vanilla completely blows. What you really need is kangaroo flavored ice cream from Australia that costs $795 per pint.

19. nutsfortubes

And that coffee that comes out the monkey’s but.

DancingSea likes this.
  20. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

“ Shut up praising the SA KI Ruby”?

well, now that’s odd and rude.

nutsfortubes likes this.
  21. nutsfortubes

Yes and he only has 35 posts go figure.

Tone? likes this.
  22. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Well yeah each thread on this forum be it equipment or music is like this… you’ll get a variety of opinions on xxxx… For me I’m just looking for some type of consensus positive or negative… to help me make a decision. Even if there is a consensus… There is always going to be someone who it doesn’t work for xxxx reason. Great thanks for your input and move on… In this Thread most people’s experience has been extremely positive with Ruby me included. There certainly others who it didn’t work for for xxxxx reasons… Again great move on not a big deal.

DancingSea likes this.
  23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Members are reminded to make sure your equipment profiles are factually filled out and visible to all members before commenting on sound quality. Failure to do so will result in the removal of your posts and removal from the thread.

24. Hawkeye20

Hawkeye20 Well-Known Member

Well I am clearly in a minority in not rating the Ruby, which is fair enough - I'm glad other people are enjoying it. Have many people A-B tested it against other good modern CD players like I have ? What were their conclusions ?

I still feel like i may have missed something here, and may try it or one of its close cousins again !

(Thanks To Graham for reinstating my post, after i listed my long lost of equipment).

25. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I have tested it against the latest two NAD players, admittedly much less expensive, and the Yamaha S1000. Much better than all with redbook cds, and very close, with a slight edge, in sound to the Yamaha when playing sacds

Bananas&blow, MikeJedi and Hawkeye20 like this.