New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which filter do you think sounds better?

bgiliberti likes this.
  2. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Impressive to say the least if the Yamaha 1000 is better with SACDs !!

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

In Australia the Ruby was $8k and the Yamaha $2.5k. One would hope it was better!

4. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Can you please elaborate? I had an unknown post removed for reasons I’m not clear about. Is that we can only comment on sound quality if the gear in question appears in our profile?

I own the SACD 30n, which is the kissing cousin of the Ruby. Hence you’ll find intermingling comments between owners of both.

Tone? likes this.
  5. azideam

azideam Forum Resident

I roll with Filter 2, but mostly use my outboard DAC for redbook. Ruby internal is mainly for my dsd playback.

bruce2 likes this.
  6. JTG

JTG Member

This has been a fun thread, and had me close to buying a Ruby many times! I'm running an ND8006, and using the USB in from a MacMini server with great results. Has anyone upgraded from ND8006 to a Ruby? What differences did you hear?

Ttl likes this.
  7. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

I can’t believe how much fun it is relistening to my CD collection with the SA-KI.

For instance, tonight I am listening to Turbulent Indigo by Joni Mitchell. It’s just stunningly beautiful.

— Tom

Audiofan1, scobb, Bill Mac and 5 others like this.
  8. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have used "over" instead of "to". The Marantz is ever so slightly better in soundstage than the Yamaha with sacds. The Yamaha is very good, though. The Ruby took quite a while to break in and better the Yamaha with sacds.

JTG likes this.
  9. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Here it was $3k vs $1300. Still substantial, yes.

10. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

I upgraded from the ND8006 to the 30N and then to the Ruby, but I didn't use the USB DAC with any of them.

Bananas&blow and JTG like this.
  11. JTG

JTG Member

Thank you @RWAudio – I think the USB in will use the same MMM as the disc player. In your experience, how substantial was the upgrade between the three? I've read the 30N and Ruby are close. I'm still happy with the ND8006, but dig the heritage around the Ruby and what it can do differently.

12. SocProf

SocProf Forum Resident

I upgraded from the ND8006 to the 30n. I sounded like a major step up to my ears. I recently tried the ND8006 again when I thought my 30n was broken (it was a faulty power cord). It sounded like a major step down.

I have a dedicated laptop full of downloaded files (mostly hi res) running Audirvana Origin connected to the 30n by USB.

13. JTG

JTG Member

Thank you @SocProf ! I originally skipped considering the 30N because I had not planned on collecting SACD's, but sounds like I'm going to appreciate the step up to a 30N or a Ruby.

Bill Mac, Audiofan1 and SocProf like this.
  14. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

The 30N was a significant step up from the ND8006. Tonally it was very similar, but the 30N was tighter and had better clarity/separation and a more evenly balanced 'voicing'. The Ruby leans a little more neutral tonally compared to the 30N, but is tighter and truer sounding than the 30N with even better clarity/separation.

Ttl, Bananas&blow, azideam and 3 others like this.
  15. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

If anyone missed out on the Music Direct sale and is still interested in picking up one, there is really nice lightly used one that was just listed here for under $3K:

Marantz SA-KI Ruby CD/SACD Player

ranch 22b likes this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just received a spare laser assembly for my SA-KI Ruby. I'm going to put it in the box the SA-KI Ruby came in so I don't misplace it. Glad I finally ordered one as it was discussed in another thread. It's added insurance for down the road if the laser fails and if Marantz no longer has them available.

991312100050S Marantz E2a022a Travers Unit Sa11s3

17. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Yeah, I put mine in the Ruby box, as I too was worried about losing it and figured that was the most logical place to keep it (and years down the road, if I ever needed it, that would be the first place I'd think to look for it). Hopefully I won't need it, but it's nice to have the assurance it's there if I ever do.

I was thinking about possibly purchasing a spare remote control too. Might also be something in case the original fails. Here it is, though it's currently out of stock:

30701026400AM Marantz Rc005pmsa Pmkiruby

teag, Bill Mac and jusbe like this.
  18. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Not a bad idea at all, but is it a simple take out the old one and put in the new one, which I probably could do, or does it require some expert or semi-expert calibration, which I probably could not do properly?

19. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Unless you have experience installing them, you'll need to take it to a place that does repairs to have it installed.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not sure about the extent to remove and replace the laser assembly on the SA-KI Ruby. I honestly do not think there is a calibration needed but I could be wrong with that thought. Even if a repair facility and calibration were needed one would have the part that in the future might not be available. I'm going to remain positive and hope the laser assembly never needs to be replaced.

Repair facility located in CT that works on Marantz products. I'm sure there are others repair centers.

Approved Audio Service » Audio Repair and Warranty Service for All Top Brands

bruce2 likes this.
  21. Ttl

Ttl Member

I have been really impressed by the ND8006, so it is encouraging to hear the positive news about the 30n.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  22. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

I'm fortunate in that I have a place close by that is an authorized Marantz repair shop and does this kind of thing (should I ever had the need).

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Thanks. You just reminded me that I needed to order one as insurance, as well. Love this player and want it to last as long as possible.

24. KeeperUSA

KeeperUSA Forum Resident

Surely it can’t be any more difficult that replacing the laser assembly in a Sony PS2. That was quite simple.

just received mine in the mail. Thanks to the OPer.

RWAudio likes this.
  25. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Well, I've never done anything like that. The place near me I've used before. They been in business a long time, seem trustworthy and are priced reasonably, so I would bring it to them. The last time I had a new pick-up put on a player, they charged only about $100 of labor to do it.