New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The Pearl Lite has been out of production for years now. It was a hot rodded SA8004.

bradleyc, bruce2 and Bill Mac like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks! I didn't realize it was released years ago.

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It appears that Marantz UK still has hot rodded versions of the 14S1 series. Here's the SACD player, Marantz UK | SA-14S1 Special Edition

bradleyc and bruce2 like this.
  4. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Congratulations on your recent purchase, however that’s a fallacy :rolleyes:

formu_la and F1nut like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I don't know of any CD/SACD player that does.

scobb and bruce2 like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The most recent Oppo players have auto resume for CDs and SACDs. But that's a universal player and not a CD/SACD player like the SA-KI Ruby. Not sure if it makes a difference that Oppo players are universal players.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I think it does.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

There is a Resume Play option for USB memory devices with the SA-KI Ruby. I would assume there has to be some type of circuitry for that feature. It is a nice feature to have and I use it often with CDs and SACDs on my Oppo 205. Instead of using pause for an extended period of time I stop the disc then hit play and playback resumes. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker as far as buying the SA-KI Ruby.

Another feature that the SA-KI Ruby has that surprised me is the ability to choose the multichannel layer (page 12) of SACDs then the player down-mixes to two channel at playback. It also has random and repeat modes (page 13) as well as the ability to program up to 20 tracks in random order (page 14). Which again I would assume requires some type of circuitry. So adding a resume playback feature for CDs and SACDs doesn't seem like that much of a stretch considering all the other listed features.

https://www.us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/SA-KI-RUBYU_ENG_UG_v00.pdf

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  10. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

That feature is present on the SA-14S1 as well. I have never considered using it though.

Bill Mac likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. Why select the multi-channel layer on an SACD only to have it down-mixed on a two channel only player doesn't make sense. As far as I know all SACDs with a multi-channel mix have a stereo mix as well. Unless playing the down-mixed multi-channel mix gives a specific SACD a different listening experience over the stereo mix. That I'm not sure about.

warp2600 likes this.
  12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Well, that is interesting and yes I agree there must be circuitry for that feature. I'm thinking that circuitry is separated from the disk playback.

13. The early Denon players could downmix multichannel on SACDs to stereo. It was actually a godsend at times back in the day, because many early SACDs received limited, compressed stereo masterings while getting much more dynamic multichannel masterings. The downmixed Oasis SACD to stereo is probably the best way to hear What's The Story, Morning Glory? album.

It became a less useful option as the audiophile labels took over issuing most SACDs from the major labels.

progrocker and Bill Mac like this.
  14. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

How does a Marantz SA-8005 compare to the other Marantz SACD players discussed in this thread?

And what about compared to an Oppo BDP-105 or 205, which plays SACD, DVD-A and BluRay?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It's a nice player, but the Reference players are in a different league.

bradleyc and Slippers-on like this.
  16. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Well, I see one thing that elevates the SA-8005 to the top of the list, it's made in Japan, not China, or Vietnam, that's a very good thing! I just ordered a Marantz SACD player, and a streamer, just could not hold out any longer. :edthumbs:

formu_la and warp2600 like this.
  17. Warren Jarrett

I edited my post after you answered. What do you think of the Oppo 105 or 205 compared to the 8005 or reference players?

18. The 8005 has a smoother, warmer sound than the analytical Oppo 205. I imagine the Oppo's DAC measures cleaner, but the players really have different sounds. It would depend on your other gear which one you'd like better.

PATB, warp2600 and F1nut like this.
  19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

What PhantomStranger said.

20. Warren Jarrett

You are so right, wow, spot on with what I have heard so far.

I asked this question because I have been going crazy buying "universal players" to hear the hi-res formats (DVD-A, SACD, and BluRay Audio) in The Audio Home compared to plain old Redbook. I want to learn through my ears, why SACD and DVD-A supposedly died, but there are hangers-on (like Steven Wright and Steve Hoffman) that continue to release their remasters in these formats, and Sony still came out with this refinement (for us) of Blu-Ray with only hi-res audio (not really any video in these). First I bought a high-end Rotel, then a NAD M55, but my Audio Note redbook players sound better than these. Then I bought a Sony ES-1000 Blu-Ray player, and it is better. Then, a Marantz 8005 with the full Modwright make-over, which worked for about a week, and then now has no sound. Finally I read a lot about the Oppos, NOT interested in a 205, so bought a BDP-95 and BDP-105.

My results are not conclusive yet. But so far I have learned (1) that playing SACD or DVD-A has to be from a VERY good player to beat a good redbook player, such as Audio Note or Aesthetix. There was no reason to have the Rotel or NAD in my system. (2) But the Oppo 95 provides phenominal sound, smoother and less analytical than the 105, and from what I've read, both are more to my taste than a 205. The 95 is so good, and so inexpensive, that I bought 2, and am probably going to get rid of the 105. (3) The Modwright/Marantz causes me to wonder about unreliability. But still, I wonder if a Modwright/Oppo 105 would be an interesting solution to your comment about the stock Oppos' sound.

progrocker, PATB and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well I'm the proud owner of a Marantz SA-10 :)! I bought an open box unit from Safe and Sound in Chicopee, MA. They're an authorized dealer so it'll have the full Marantz factory warranty. When I called about the SA-10 the salesman said he could sell it for quite a discount over the listed price on their site. The price was shipped with no sales tax so I couldn't pass it up. There was no discount for the SA-KI Ruby so it was an easy decision. Looking forward to getting it next week!

Marantz SA-10 SACD/CD Player with USB DAC and Digital Inputs Open Box

George P, clhboa, bradleyc and 8 others like this.
  22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Congrats Bill :edthumbs:

nutsfortubes and Bill Mac like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you :)! I'll definitely post my impressions when it arrives and get a chance to play some of my favorite CDs and SACDs.

F1nut likes this.
  24. Pics too, please! And congrats! :)

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'll definitely post some pictures! It'll force me to figure out how to post pictures here. I am severely computer inept :help:! Thank you :)!

Slippers-on and Johnny Vinyl like this.