New Model Army - my new favorite band! (literally based on the first 29 min of them I've ever heard)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Aug 13, 2019.

1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Once you have the live albums all that's left is the "missing" vinyl only tracks. All are pretty much remixes (someone correct me if I've missed some or some are available on CD and I just don't know it), the band don't seem to like them, but Brave New World and Get Me Out 12" versions I love but not on CD as are Heroin (7"), RIP (7") , Lights Go Out (dub), Stupid Questions (Extended), Adrenalin (electric version), Lurhstaap (acoustic) and Caslen (instrumental). There are also a number of live bootlegs but I'll miss those and just add the missing (from CD) songs from Raw Melody Men which are Family Life, Bury the Hatchet, Stupid Questions, No Rest and Stupid Questions (reggae version) (all on various versions of the Space live single)!

Anybody else suggest any "rarities"?

2. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars

A big :thumbsup: for No Rest for the Wicked from me. Love the energy that the drum 'n' bass combo of Rob Heaton (RIP) and Stuart Morrow bring to the table.

:love: Thunder and Consolation too.

Guillaume P likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I was a big fan early on, the first few singles and album. For me such a big part of the magic was Stuart Morrow's bass playing and backing vocals, and when he left they just weren't the same for me.

The best thing they ever did was the Peel session in 1983, which you can get on the Radio sessions disc:
    1. "Smalltown England"
    2. "Spirit of the Falklands"
    3. "Christian Militia"
    4. "Running in the Rain"

GodShifter and Guillaume P like this.
  4. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

I like High but have not listened enough yet that individual songs are sticking in my memory. Oh, except for Bloodsport! I really like the string/keyboard part that pops in every now and then. Overall a strong middle of the pack album for me.

Between Wine and Blood has more songs that stand out so far. The aforementioned Devil's Bargain and Happy To Be Here are both great songs, as are Angry Planet and Sunrise. Plus, I like hearing the Between Dog and Wolf songs live.

Guillaume P likes this.
  5. ericthegardener

I'm not necessarily as eager to pick up all the live records, but wouldn't mind picking up one or two of the best ones. Which would you recommend?

I have Lights Go Out (Dub) on vinyl, but none of the others you listed. Not sure if I want to hear Stupid Questions (Reggae Version)! I'm buying NMA vinyl as I find it in my local shops, but as you might guess, not a ton of it floating around in North Texas.

scobb likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

And you'd be right! It does complete Raw Melody Men though (assuming you get "All Of This Live Rarities" CD which also includes Vengeance (b side to Purity), 225, Ambition (b sides to Space CD single) and the Get Me Out CD single with Waiting on it)
    IMO Brave New World and Get Me Out 12"versions and maybe Lurhstaap (acoustic)

7. Guillaume P

Guillaume P Forum Resident

"Bloodsports" powerful last track! Yes the string/keyboard is a nice touch, it adds a "cinematic" scope to this song.
    Also the others tracks i love on this album are "Into the wind", "Rivers", "Dawn", the title track, "No mirror no shadow"...well, almost the whole album!

Which are your favourite songs on the previous NMA albums "Eight" and "Strange brotherhood" ?

8. ericthegardener

I like both albums, but listening to them today I'd have to say Strange Brotherhood is the better of the two. Standouts for me are: Wonderful Way To Go, Queen of my Heart, Gigabyte Wars and No Pain. Still getting to know both albums though, so my choices might be different tomorrow.

One thing struck me though, that while both Eight and Strange Brotherhood have good songs on them, NMA's more recent releases all hang together better as albums as opposed to collections of songs. Maybe from Between Dog & Wolf to From Here. But who knows? Might have just been the mood I was in when listening to them.

Guillaume P likes this.
  9. ericthegardener

Here's a thought. Every time I listen to Autumn on Today Is A Good Day, the chorus reminds of a PJ Harvey song, but I can't figure out which PJ song. Something off one of her more recent albums. Anyone else hear this? Maybe it's just the last chorus where there's the whole gang chorus thing.

10. Guillaume P

NMA's more recent releases all hang together better as albums as opposed to collections of songs

That's possible...on 'Between dog and wolf" and "From here" there's a particular, coherent tone, mood through all the tracks...the albums before were maybe more "singles" albums with immediate "hits", playing less on atmosphere.

Aside from "High" (and Justin Sullivan's solo album) which i think is (almost!) perfect from first track to last track, i think that most of NMA's albums since "Strange Brotherhood" are (slightly!) uneven...i like them all of course, but sometimes the albums are a bit too long ("Between dog and wolf" and "From here" at times) or you have here and there a few average tracks.

On "Strange brotherhood" my favourite tracks are "Wonderful way to go", "Headlights", "Aimless desire" "Long goodbye" and "Lullaby".
    On "Eight" "Orange tree roads" "You weren't there" and "Someone like Jesus" are some of NMA's best songs ever. I also like very much "Leeds road 3am" and "Snelsmore wood".

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

They were never the same after the loss of original member and co-songwriter, Robert Heaton, in my opinion. Heaton remains one of my favorite drummers of all-time.

I was in a band that tried to cover "225" and the drummer just could not do it. Heaton was a master. The little accents he adds in the driving rhythm of the song are pretty amazing.

BDC and jay.dee like this.
  12. Guillaume P

"225" is one of NMA's best songs, the music and the lyrics are fantastic, and still relevant today...the whole "Thunder and consolation" album offers some of NMA's best songs like "225", "I love the world", "Ballad of Bodmin pill", "Family life", etc!
    And yes Heaton was great, but Michael Dean NMA's drummer for these last 20 years is doing a solid job too!

GodShifter likes this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Prior to the release of Between Dog and Wolf I would have agreed with you!
    I still agree with this!

GodShifter likes this.
  14. ericthegardener

Yeah, I was bummed when I learned that Heaton had passed (Hell, I was bummed when I found out that Stuart Morrow had left the band - not sure I'm over that one yet ;)) , but I have to say that drumming on the last few albums is great! Creative, interesting and powerful. And isn't the current drummer Rob's former drum tech and hand=picked successor?

Guillaume P and GodShifter like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

My compliments to Heaton were not meant to be a slight to Michael Dean. He’s been great, but Heaton is an all-time favorite of mine. Sorry.

BDC and Guillaume P like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yep!

ericthegardener likes this.
  17. ericthegardener

NMA started with an absolute world-beating rhythm section, and Justin has been really lucky to replace them as well as he has.

GodShifter, Guillaume P and Dave513 like this.
  18. Dave513

Dave513 Forum Resident

Love your enthusiasm, thanks for starting a fun thread. It's such a great feeling to immediately fall in love with a band like this. I only have a couple of records (I voted for Thunder and Consolation) and had the good fortune to see them around 88-89. Was a great show. Enjoy!

P.S. Now I have 51st State stuck in my head. Great song.

Guillaume P likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I feel like I’ve known this band forever. I was first turned onto them by the “51st State” video on MTV which (I think?) was on 120 Minutes. Something about the song resonated with me.

Since hearing that song, I collected all their albums prior to The Ghost of Cain and have not missed buying a release since. If you were to ask me what the best NMA album is I’d answer Thunder and Consolation. If you asked me what my favorite is I’d answer The Love of Hopeless Causes.

That said, if you asked me the best thing they’ve ever done? It would be Navigating by the Stars which is Justin Sullivan solo but still has Michael Dean and Dean White on the album. That album is flawless.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Dave513 and Guillaume P like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yes he has. Several different bass players with Jason “Moose” Harris and Nelson plus Dean on drums.

It’s odd one can single out a player like Heaton like I did and get flack for it. I liked his songwriting and drumming. He was my favorite but I realize things cannot exist in a vacuum so whatever I guess. Heaton has been one of my heroes for a long time.

21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I didn't read into any of the replies anyone giving you flack?

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I guess more defending/validating Michael Dean which is not necessary. As pointed out, Heaton himself picked him as his successor. Michael has been the backbone for the band for two decades. I just felt that was unnecessary to remind me of that. I’m aware of the band’s history and line up changes.

23. ericthegardener

I wasn't giving you flak and I don't think anyone else was either. No one knows what your history is with the band even if you've stated it in this thread previously. I only said what I said because I agree with you that Heaton is/was absolutely phenomenal and I was shocked that I liked the new drummer as much as I do. I honestly didn't mean to offend. I believe we're both saying similar things.

Guillaume P, scobb and GodShifter like this.
  24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I always think it's bands like this that should be highlighted in "most underrated" threads because they have such limited exposure to listeners, rather than Genesis, Pink Floyd etc who have wide exposure and always come up!

ericthegardener and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Agreed. All good my friend :)

Edit: after re-reading you aren’t the one I took issue with in the first place. I see you’re in Dallas. Me, too. Two NMA fans from Big D on the same forum. Cool.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    ericthegardener likes this.