New Music (bands that started this century)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sprague Dawley, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis would be new music when Rumours came out

2. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Kind of Blue?
    I don't think so... That's a Classic one.
    Eventually... a RENEWER could be...:
    [​IMG]

3. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I meant that OP's standard would be like calling Kind of Blue "new music" in 1977.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, I just think it's interesting.

4. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

5. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I can't get enough of Family Photo. Unfortunately, they're not around anymore. Here's video from a reunion they had a few years ago:

I do share a house with the drummer, who now plays in a band called Butter. They've only released one EP so far, and none of the guys really like the way it turned out. I can confirm that the live renditions of the tunes are much better. They're currently buttoning up a new EP, which is sounding great, and a single collaboration with Mal London.

The guy playing organ in that video, Derek Sup, released this stunner of an album about a year-and-a-half ago. My AOTY 2017. I went to the release party and then immediately popped it in my car CD player for the drive home. I very rarely listen to an album twice in such rapid succession, but it was just that profound an experience for me.

6. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Since you have nearly the whole alphabet covered except Z, you should totally check out Zombina and the Skeletones.

7. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Dead horse is right. This is the 4th post you have made in this thread labouring this particular point.

Do you actually have anything worth sharing about 21st century bands that you like? Or are you just interested in debating what's new and what's not?

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I bought their first 3-4 Albums, but still need to get their recent Albums to have their entire Discography on CD(assuming the Albums I am missing are not terrible). I just lost track keeping up with this Music Artist.

Scope J likes this.
  12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I'll say one thing for them, that's an intriguing cover. Is that taken from a well known art piece? It looks like something by Breughel the elder.

Scope J likes this.
  13. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks
    Preston School of Industry
    Boston Spaceships
    Ricked Wicky
    Circus Devils
    Water Liars
    Felice Brothers
    Blitzen Trapper
    The National

14. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Surprised no one's mentioned The Vaccines (2010-Present), esp. UK members. :confused:
    Thought they would've had large audience there.:shrug: I am Brit. music, in general, fan, but haven't so much gotten into them -
    thought they deserve mention on this list, though.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

I liked the 2 Albums by The Open, but they broke up for some reason. Their Music was really good though. I probably learned about them in NME and Q Magazines. Another Band, Hope of the States had a well reviewed Debut Album, but they also broke up early. Also, love Howling Bells(from Australia, but think have been living in England when their Albums were released).

Do not think anyone mentioned Airbag(Sweden) and the 2 Bjorn Riis(Airbag Guitarist) Solo Albums. Music Guitar Sound of David Gilmour from the Pink Floyd DSOTM through Animals Era. Riis sounds like he would be the Son of Gilmour. The Music on all Airbag Albums is Awesome-IMO.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  16. LilacTeardrop

Thanks for posting VG+ FYI message. Briefly checked out The Open; never heard of 'em 'til your post.
    Nice music - sounding a little like combining The Church w/Britpop era & early-2000's EMO.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

These were the 2 Albums from The Open in the mid 2000s and Wiki Information on the Band below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Open were an English five-piece indie rock band who were signed to Loog Records. Their sound was heavily influenced by Talk Talk (particularly their Spirit of Eden album), Cocteau Twins, and early U2, as well as latterly incorporating jazz, such as Miles Davis and Tommy-era The Who. Their debut album The Silent Hours was released in July 2004 to positive reviews.

In February 2006 they released their second album Statues. First single, ‘We Can Never Say Goodbye’ was a minor hit before splitting up in May of the same year.[1] A statement from the band regarding the split reads as follows:

"I believe you are waiting for the official word. So here it is. The news is that we have indeed decided to call the [sic] it a day with The Open. We leave the two records that we are very very proud of and memories that will remain in our hearts forever. Some of us will continue on our path through music. Some of us will not. We all wish each other the greatest of luck. No excuses, no regrets, no big philosophical kiss off, it's just the end of one journey and the start of another. Bless you all for your support over these last years and goodbye. Steve, Jon, Jim, Alan, and Roger."

18. LilacTeardrop

Thanks re: interesting information on The Open.

Someone else in this Century...for fans straight-up rock -

I remember hearing them (don't recall how I'd found) probably around '14 or '15, so a little later than it
    was actually released (2013) - they kick! :edthumbs:

The Virginmarys - Here's: Dead Man's Shoes, off King of Conflict.
    Hope someone finds a new band to enjoy!:)

19. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

A fun thread and one to which I'll return primarily for the video posts. I can't post any of the truly interesting videos by

Janelle Monae

because they've been deleted in the past. Ridiculous, but hey, love Gorts!

Anyway, didn't see her mentioned unless it was in one of those crazy long lists that I passed by because they seem to show how much some people spend on their collection in a way that seems to me indiscriminate - OR they just Spotify or otherwise stream and, well, I'm definitely old school and don't frolic to streaming music hardly ever unless it's from stylin' posts like this one. A matter of preference for sure.

I can't live without my Monae collection!

Also, don't miss one of the best new Jazz Voices of our era:

20. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Black Keys
    Courtney Barnett

21. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Triptides

22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Midnight Juggernauts

23. LilacTeardrop

Nice chillwave...Thanks for posting!:tiphat:

24. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident Thread Starter

so bored I tallied up lp's I've bought of music released in last 5 years.

it is bugger all.

RANKED.

Hot Snakes - Jericho Sirens
    Sumac - Love In Shadow
    CHRCH - Light Will Consume Us All

The Terminals - Antiseptic
    Part Chimp - IV
    Converge - The Dusk In Us. these top 3 were KILLER for me, nothing between em
    Unsane - Sterilize
    Conan - Man Is Myth. they're phoning it in now

The Blind Shake - Celebrate Your Worth. big surprise hit for me
    Roy Montgomery - M: Darkmotif Dancehall
    Roy Montgomery - R: Tropic of Anodyne
    Roy Montgomery - H: Bender
    Roy Montgomery - Q: Transient Global Amnesia
    Conan - Revengeance. they've gone all big business
    Neurosis - Fires Within Fires. terrible album. annoys the hell out me that one of my favourite alltime bands release an lp that everyone else likes but I just can't stand. totally forgettable outing here for me

Torche - Restarter. love this drongo doom pop sound
    CHRCH - Unanswered Hymns
    Life Stinks - You'll Never Make It
    Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
    Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated At Last
    The King Khan & BBQ Show - Bad News Boys

Monolord - Vænir

Shellac - Dude Incredible. not a super great year. none of these records really set my brain on fire
    Sumac - The Deal
    Monolord - Empress Rising
    The Austerity Program - Beyond Calculation
    Watery Love - Decorative Feeding
    Trans Am - Volume X
    Bongripper - Miserable
    Conan - Blood Eagle

25. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Music that I've discovered and have bought albums by (so far) from this century:
    2001 - Arcade Fire, The Decemberists
    2005 - Wussy
    2006 - Beirut
    2007 - The Naked And Famous
    2009 - Air Traffic Controller, Dawes, Grouplove
    2010 - The Vaccines

LilacTeardrop and Sprague Dawley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.