New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I've listened to it now several times and they really did a nice job with what they had to work with. I think it will fit in with the album's theme. It sounds more retro, I hear some Waterloo, I Do 5X, and maybe even a bit of Why Did It Have To Be Me. It is just fun. It would not have worked in 1978, but it's found a home over 40 years later. That's the magic of ABBA's songs!

I agree, the first two singles are more fitting of ABBA's 80's output, which was more mature, and a bit more serious....sometimes! :)

2. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

The new song features new backing tracks but it is the original 1978 recorded vocals. “Now Benny has recorded a new backing track to which we’ve added drums and guitars, but all vocals are from the original 1978 tracks. In a way, it demonstrates what we plan to do with ABBA Voyage in 2022. There, we will have a live band playing, but all vocals will be from the old recording,” he says.

I’m disappointed to hear this. The whole joy about this was how they’d amazingly surprised us all with a new album. Like Bowie did in his later days. To hear this track is an old recording with a bit of polish dampens the whole thing. Means it’s a patchwork. They should have left the track off. Or at least re-recorded it. It’s about authenticity. Bah.

Jarleboy and crankybruh like this.
  3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You left out the word boring...:D

anduandi and Jrr like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s hilarious!

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I do love the band! They have risen to my favorite in the last ten years, but definitely in my top 2-3 since 1975. Which is why I’m thrilled they are coning out with this, and why my disappointment in this new single is obviously over the top. But so is the awfulness to my ears of that track compared to the entire rest of their amazing catalog. So, I guess I nedd to give ‘em a break!

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yikes. Well, here’s the way to look at it. You have to turn the record over anyway, so I’ll just get my lazy butt up one song early. Glad it isn’t track two!

Jarleboy and crankybruh like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

True enough, it does. I get what you’re saying, but I like the contrast in the 80’s material as we got plenty of sometimes pretty daft and goofy stuff from them in the 70’s. All in good fun, I liked that stuff too, but I think if you have their entire library (and I bet most here do, not like it’s a huge catalog and all of it is uniformly good imo, even the debut) then I think it’s good their music grew up with them. And clearly they had more serious things to write about near the end.

Jarleboy, Roxy6 and bob60 like this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well said!

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

An interesting perspective. I can’t argue with how you hear it. This is all so subjective, so there is no right or wrongs here, and why it’s fun to see people either hating or loving it. But what’s interesting to me is you hearing I Do I Do and feeling Notion is in the same vein. I love I Do, and feel it’s one of their very best tracks (but I totally can understand why sone don’t care for it). But I don’t like Notion at all. Quite a contrast! Just shows you how differently our brains decipher music. Glad you enjoy the new song! Who knows, maybe it will grow on me as I put the album on repeat play! Can’t wait to get my copy. I’m purposely not listening to the other tracks as I don’t want to burn out or get too familiar with them before my vinyl arrives.

Jarleboy, Roxy6, coffeetime and 2 others like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That is quite true. And imo, and only imo because I know most of you really like that song, that is another very rare ABBA track I have also never liked, though I would rank it far better than Notion. Same criticism…no real magical ABBA chorus, and it meanders and goes absolutely nowhere. Given that, it’s wayyy too long. Another song that told me they were probably wise to quit when they did. But, again, all due respect to the majority here that have always expressed their love for the song. The only late track I really thought was up to their standards was Under Attack.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You’re guess is as good as any of ours! Sounds plausible. I just can’t believe, given songs like Just Like That, that there wasn’t one single track they had that’s better. But some of you do like it, so what do I know!

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Lay All Your Love On Me…geez, what an incredible track, eh? Talk about production perfection! I can’t begin to imagine how much time was spent putting that little gem together. If you really listen closely (I used to own a studio so I’m pretty obsessed with production and probably why I love this band so much) the stacked layered vocals in the chorus is mind blowing. I imagine every available track was used to stack and over dub that incredible chorus. What I wouldn’t give to have been there while Michael Tretow was putting all that together. I can just imagine how loud the studio monitors were cranked on final playback! I compare that to Notion…well, you can see why I’m so disappointed.

Jarleboy, FrankieMax and croquetlawns like this.
  13. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

There is simply no accounting for taste.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I can't be bothered reading the entire thread: has anyone else mentioned that "Just a Notion" sounds like something the Beach Boys might have done? I rather like it.

15. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Yes, that’s true! Happy Hawaii“ also reminds me a lot of the Beach Boys:)

Eska68, Jrr and Jarleboy like this.
  16. IWS

IWS Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the remaining tracks on Voyage were written in the 2018-2021 timeline, or if they’re going to be a mix of older material cobbled together?

Sgt. Abbey Road and Jarleboy like this.
  17. Jokersm123

Jokersm123 Forum Resident

To 'Just A Notion' I want to dance more than to 'Don't Shut Me Down', 2nd track was the warming up before real dances

Jarleboy, Roxy6 and John Adam like this.
  18. T3l5t4r

T3l5t4r Well-Known Member

Hi all. New member, but I've come here to read music fans' comments for a long time now. As a mega ABBA fan I had to chime in on my thoughts around Just A Notion.

I was a bit disappointed at the thought the remaining 8 tracks on Voyage were going to be songs resurrected from the vaults. But, I was premature to be concerned as I quite like the idea of them carrying on the whole "now and then combined" theme by using old vocals over a new backing track.

In all honesty, given their previous practice of persevering with good ideas until they became releasable songs, or scrapping the song before it really came to fruition I'd be surprised if any other songs were from the vaults (except maybe Bumble Bee).

There is talk that some songs are rehashed Benny compositions from older projects but, who's really going to feel short-changed with that? I'd be more put out if the rehashed parts were the remainder of the album's vocals being pasted from the 70s/80s more than anything, but, after watching the interview with Zoe Ball again today, I'm confident new vocals will be all over this record.

I reckon the styles on the album will mainly cater to the ABBA Gold type fan and have similar sounds to their career highlights, rather than there be too much of a follow-up-to-The-Visitors feel, which although is one of my top 2 albums of theirs, I think I'm glad about.

Which reminds me, where's The Visitors half-speed?

3 months ago we didn't even know there was a new album for sure and I nearly sh@t at the announcement of just 2 songs back in 2018 so I'm happy really. My 9 variants on pre-order should indicate that.

19. Dee Jay

Dee Jay These go to eleven.

Apparently they will all be new songs recorded in that time period. There was a query whether 'Bumble Bee' was anything to do with the 'Free As A Bumble Bee' demo from 1978 but it is a completely different composition.

croquetlawns and Jarleboy like this.
  20. IWS

IWS Well-Known Member

Good - I think the reason that ISHFIY and DSMD resonate so well is that they were written from the sensibility of mature artists in their 70s. To me it would be strange for ABBA in 2021 to record material that they wrote 40-50 years prior. I do recall Bjorn saying in his interview with Zane Lowe that Voyage is the follow-up to The Visitors. I want mature, complex, and weird compositions. Hoping that JAN is the “sonic” outlier on the album.

21. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I agree IWS, but I have to admit that JAN grows on me, I played it a few times today and it is absolutely the most happy song of the three already released ones.

ISHFIY is a wonderful anthem in which the ABBA members speak to one another......strong and melancholic.

DSMD ia as wonderful, Buth then ABBA speaking to their followers and fans... strong and mature

JAN is indeed old School ABBA, but in a strange way it fits with the first two.... it's like the fairy tail of the strange little duck, who comes in a strange environment, but feels save there....

Hope it will grow on everybody here, because it is definitely ABBA and it is joyful and happy.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I really, really hate writing this. But so many of you like Notion I have listened to it more. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I have to agree with your post. It’s a grower. It’s certainly a happy song! The scary thing is most songs I love are tracks I didn’t like the first couple of listens. For those that are in my camp, and hate the song…maybe play it 2-3 times from start to finish.

dreambear, Roxy6, coffeetime and 3 others like this.
  23. Sgt. Abbey Road

Welcome to the forum! I guess that your second top 2 album from ABBA is „The Album“ from 1977:)

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A huge welcome! I lurked for probably two years before I started posting. There are awesome people here and I’ve learned a ton, and enjoy listening to music so much more now. Hope you enjoy your stay! You will actually get to “know” a few posters and look forward to their posts.

Roxy6, Jarleboy and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  25. Sgt. Abbey Road

I also had that feeling when I listened to „The Name Of The Game“ for the first time! I thought that the song isn’t as great as its reputation. Today it’s my favourite ABBA song and one of the best pop songs ever in my opinion:)

Jrr, Dee Jay, John Adam and 1 other person like this.