New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I’ve had my black for a couple of days now. It’s pretty much noise free so that’s nice, but what a shame about the sound. It’s just flat and lifeless. The fact it sounds as if there’s a good sound buried underneath a blanket only makes it all the more frustrating. Concerning the most important part, the music, it just flat out baffles me how so many have given this a luke warm reception. I’m actually overwelmed by the beauty of this album. I’m convinced this will be held in much higher regard in, say 5 - 10 years or more. Music of this magnitude and beauty will always prevail. But that’s just history repeating itself I guess.

RubenH, Paully, NorthNY Mark and 6 others like this.
  2. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

Having bought multiple copies of "Voyage" on different coloured vinyl, I can say that the pressings vary in dynamics and brightness. My yellow copy could be described as dull and lifeless while my other copies are more balanced and dynamic. But I would say that there may be some built-in distortion issues. I have played the vinyl with different phono-cartridges and the one that I have just used (Shure V15 III) normally tracks excellently with a very clean and detailed sound, but "Voyage" (blue copy) sounded pretty ropy.

Going back to Agnetha and Frida's vocals on "Voyage", I would say they are pretty evenly balanced in terms of song allocation, with three songs each and four songs on which they both sing. On the combined lead vocals, I think Frida's voice often shows through more because it is deeper. However, I believe Agnetha got the better songs on the whole - she got the 'story telling' songs where emotion is required, as she is good at that. Frida excels on more vibrant songs, such as "No Doubt About It", where she sounds as young as ever. On the other hand, I can hear the age in her voice in "I Still Have Faith In You", while Agnetha sounds young to me throughout the album - in fact, in "Keep An Eye On Dan" her role is the mother of a small boy, which she portrays very convincingly.

3. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

I think has been previously posted so apologies for not going digging to find it...
    Can anyone kindly confirm if these are the correct lead vocal attributions?
    ISHFIY- Frida
    WYDWM- Frida & Agnetha
    Little Things-Frida & Agnetha
    DSMD- Agnetha
    JAN- Frida & Agnetha
    ACBTW- Agnetha
    KAEOD-Agnetha
    Bumblebee-Frida
    NDAI-Frida
    OTF-Frida & Agnetha

4. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

I agree with the above, although I think all four of them sing "Ode To Freedom" in unison.

5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Which of your copies would you say is the very best sounding?

FrankieMax, Jarleboy and Jokersm123 like this.
  6. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

It's taken me 3 weeks (is that all?????!!!!) and dozens of plays and sooooooo many words spilt with abandon on this thread to finally feel like I have a fix on Voyage. That is, I can play it now and feel truly comfortable with it as a new ABBA album. It's been a baffling experience.
    I initially thought it was a masterpiece and then my enthusiasm waned as I began to feel unsure if I was just succumbing to the general happy hysteria surrounding the album.
    But I took a break from it and then began listening again a few days ago.
    It is a pop masterpiece. As Bjorn has stated, it's a sequel to The Visitors, but it's a sequel separated by 40 years of experience and maturity. As such, it's similar to ABBA of old but also far removed. It really is the "ultimate" ABBA album.

7. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

I'd say the blue copy - it is also the flattest (not warped). I made a mistake above - it was the green (not blue) in which I detected some distortion. However, I haven't played my white copy and don't have a black copy. I imagine that sound quality issues may not be consistent through all pressings of one colour. Could it have anything to do with where the pressing was made in the pressing-run from one master?

8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Interesting. Perhaps I should give it another go with a different colour at some point.

Jarleboy and Jokersm123 like this.
  9. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I was extremely happy when They announced the new album (The ABBA tars were nice but not as important for me. although I very much like the parts shown in the clip of ISHFIY). Like everybody here I also had to get used to the album and now I can say when it comes to music it is one of the best things that has been released in the last 40 years.

ABBA still is dominating the Pop world, (not too) old, but still shining brilliantly like before and giving us this everlasting masterpiece!

10. Jokersm123

Jokersm123 Forum Resident

Americans definitely obsessed with R&B and hip-hop, the only competitor for grammy is Brandi Carlile - Right On Time (nice folk song but ABBA's is better)
    1. ABBA - I Still Have Faith In You (Rock ballad)
    2. Jon Batiste - Freedom (Rap)
    3. Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - I Get A Kick Out Of You (Jazz)
    4. Justin Bieber Featuring Daniel Caesar & Giveon - Peaches (R&B)
    5. Brandi Carlile - Right On Time (Americana!!!)
    6. Doja Cat Featuring SZA - Kiss Me More (Bubblegum pop + R&B)
    7. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever (Trip-Hop)
    8. Lil Nas X - Montero (Call Me By Your Name) (Hip-Hop)
    9. Olivia Rodrigo - drivers license (pop)
    10. Silk Sonic - Leave The Door Open (R&B)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Jarleboy, crankybruh and FrankieMax like this.
  11. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

haha For a second I thought this was the track list for a Voyage Remixed album, with current artists Macca style!

Could you imagine the likes of Justin Biever and Billy Eyelash straining though Voyage songs!

Roxy6, Jarleboy and Jokersm123 like this.
  12. Jokersm123

I think that's disgrace that ABBA on the same list of grammy's nominants - R&B, hip-hop, rap and bubblegam pop performers. Brandi Carlile protested about this, because her song is pure Americana music.
    I've heard her song and was also surprised, it should be nominated to American roots category, ABBA really can compete on Rock category
    2022 GRAMMYs Awards: Complete Nominations List

croquetlawns, Roxy6 and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I hadn't thought of their albums this way, but it makes a lot of sense musically. Now I want to go back and listen to their whole catalog with this in mind!

After a few weeks with this album, I can confidently say that I love it, start to finish. To my ears it's full of wonderful melodies that stick in my mind, and interesting, well-written lyrics. And it feels like an album, one with two distinct sides, even listening on my music server. Side A is the upbeat, life-is-good side (with a touch of regret in When You Danced with Me). Side B is the heavier the-world-is-tough side, with songs about relationship issues and the impact of divorce, the magnificent Ode to Freedom, and even a song which touches on environmental issues. I'm happy they left it at this length and didn't try to pad it with filler, like so many albums in the CD era.

bob60, Roxy6, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  14. Jokersm123

Guess the song by clothes. :D:D

[​IMG]

15. FrankieMax

Aww Bumblebee:pineapple:

16. Jokersm123

Again there will be a battle for the Christmas song №1. ABBA + McKellen among the leaders. On December 26 all results will be published. I'm eager to see the new clip
    Official Christmas Number 1 2021: The contenders revealed

Jarleboy, croquetlawns and FrankieMax like this.
  17. FrankieMax

Yes, any news on the Music Video, that was said to have been made for Little Things?

Otherwise I'd welcome an MV created by motownboy

Jarleboy, motownboy and Jokersm123 like this.
  18. Jokersm123

Actually ABBA has two Christmas songs in the mag - 'Little Things' and 'Bumblebee', both will hit the target and they will delight a lot of children by new clip from two fabulous granddads :righton:

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. brinkeguthrie

brinkeguthrie Forum Resident

ah thank U

Jokersm123, Jarleboy and motownboy like this.
  20. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

21. brinkeguthrie

brinkeguthrie Forum Resident

I have tried to locate a nice sized wallpaper of the Voyage artwork for my MacBook Pro. Anyone have one?

Jokersm123 and Jarleboy like this.
  22. crankybruh

The trouble with these half-baked puff pieces are all the assumptions.
    Such as, ABBA randomly reconvened after 40 years and knocked out a new album. And thought they could be cashed up for all eternity with a tricked-up smoke and mirrors light show.
    The cynicism is breathtaking.

Jokersm123 and Jarleboy like this.
  23. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

First of all, I just LOVE that the very first nominee listed on the whole page on the Grammy website is ISHFIY for "Record of the Year." That category is considered the most prized of all for the Grammys. That is why it is the very first category listed on the website. It is almost always the last one they announce on the awards broadcast. I would have thought (and suggested way back in this thread in the days between the singles and the album release) that they could be nominated for the category "Best Pop Duo/Group Performance." However, ISHFIY is such a special and magical song. The melody, lyrics, arrangement, the voices, the sentiment and message all come together most beautifully. Yet, I really just see that this nomination as a way for the American music industry to acknowledge ABBA and give them some of the respect they have earned. I also see the Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett nomination the same way in respect for Mr. Bennett. I think it is a longshot for ABBA to win this, but man, how wonderful would that be??

If the Grammys have truly changed the philosophy of how winners are chosen to be less influenced by industry insiders (eg, bought and paid for..), then ISHFIY could have a chance. However, there is stiff competition with "Driver's License", by Olivia Rodrigo (ubiquitous on US radio and streaming) and "Freedom," by Jon Batiste, who has 11 (!) nominations and is quite talented. Of course, he could lose ROTY to ABBA and still win others. ;):cool:

24. crankybruh

Jon Batiste is a good musician but his concept of "freedom", as opposed to ABBA's, is puerile: "freedom" is physically embodied in the "freedom" to dance how you want. An acceptably apolitical approach we've heard a million times.
    Ode to Freedom and ISHFIY attempt to both ask and answer questions, but doubt remains.

25. Jokersm123