New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Kim Wilde is also famous for gardening books and gardening TV-programmes. But the real comparison between Abba and Kim, is the pure pop magic. Abba, of course have done many more classics, but the best songs written by Ricky Wilde/Marty Wilde and sometimes Kim Wilde, are really splendid. And comparing voices are not that interesting. Yes, I think that both Frida and Agnetha are technically way better than Kim. But I´m sure that there are a few people who thinks that Whitney Houston sings the socks of our Abba girls. But in my ears, Whitney didn´t sound better.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Abba have always been huge in the UK and in the 70s even bigger in Australia apparently (hence the tour and film). Less success in USA.

Jarleboy and Tim 2 like this.
  3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've heard that critique since Adele put out her first album. Please. oh please provide this laundry list of equal if not vastly superior artists to Adele. I'm always willing to broaden my playlist.

willy, RSteven and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

Adele - 30 I'm not impressed...:laughup:

Jokersm123 likes this.
  5. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

A bit of a missed opportunity that, they may have sold a few copies to non collectors. Even a download would have gained new individual purchases of the slightly alternate version, to help it chart.

My CD was marked as dispatched today, I'll probably not even open the cellophane if there is nothing new. I bet even that Christmas Jumper has more artwork in addition to the front cover.

6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I am.

RSteven, Al Gator and Roxy6 like this.
  7. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

8. Dee Jay

Dee Jay These go to eleven.

All proceeds from their Christmas single 'Little Things' are to go to Unicef. This follows 'Chiquitita' where the royalties have for a long time been donated to the worldwide fund helping underprivileged children.
    ABBA release first Christmas single 'Little Things'

9. FrankieMax

How wonderful, and a nice ode to the past:)

Jarleboy, motownboy and Jokersm123 like this.
  10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

very nice gesture. I'm wondering why they edited stuff out of the album but had in the video.

Jarleboy, Jokersm123 and FrankieMax like this.
  11. Jon_UK

Jon_UK Forum Resident

I agree, a totally missed opportunity. It would have been no effort at all to include this alternative version on the CD single. And the video is very disappointing, the countdown and ‘premiere’ flagging on YouTube building it up to be much more than what we ended up with. Such a shame.

12. FrankieMax

Any old thing is hyped with a premiere these days isn't it lol, It works for something major and as exciting as the Voyage showcase, as we anticipated something very special.

Yeah, they're probably saving this alternate version for the inevitable Deluxe as audio content seems rather sparse... Or so we're led to believe.

We have no additional audio outside of the 10 Voyage songs, including the alternate on the CD single would have been an essential purchase for most fans.

13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

And Canada. :shrug:

14. Jokersm123

Jokersm123 Forum Resident

After watching clip 10 times - the next ABBA's puzzle like their entire work, everyone in this clip can find own meaning and himself. in general - World needs more ABBA! :D

Jarleboy, motownboy and Tim 2 like this.
  15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I woke up & found this in my email. I will be telling everyone at work
    about this. They are such great people!!!
    [​IMG]

16. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

I absolutely share in others disappointment re missing out on a CD release of the video version of Little Things.
    The effect of the lead in to DSMD 'sound of children laughing' lyric would have been extended but other than I really prefer the video ending musically.

I'm not disappointed by the video though...I found it interesting and fun all the way through, it is considerably better than I had anticipated!

NorthNY Mark, Jarleboy, Roxy6 and 2 others like this.
  17. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

I believe the children are our future ;-)

Here here!

I am still finding the song is growing on me and I really hope it becomes a well known song for them!

18. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

Yes, Molly certainly did say and do bad things about ABBA. On Countdown he showed the cover of The Album, said "here's the new ABBA album" and then dismissively threw it over his shoulder. The audience cheered. Countdown gave progressively less coverage of ABBA after the tour of 77 and Molly was the Musical Director of the show.
    The use of ABBA's music in MW and Priscilla was coincidentally simply the choice of the writers and directors of the movie. It's not like there was a huge groundswell in support. People simply recognised after a while that they missed ABBA and the marketing took over from there. It was never a foregone conclusion that ABBA would be remembered.

anduandi and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Jokersm123

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Jokersm123

Waiting for the Voyage album featuring Tesla coming out soon :D this going to be fantastic

21. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

What the hell is that??!! :goodie:

22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

why did ABBA fall so quickly out of favor in Oz? The irony being was much of their best work was still to come when their hitmaking ability waned there. It wasn't a case like The Bee Gees were it seemed to be pretty much everywhere when their fall from grace happened (Spirits Having Flown was almost an across the globe #1, but Living Eyes only made the top 10 in one territory and outright bombed in the US and UK), and it was a new decade and style, but The Album, Voulez Vous and Super Trouper were still massive hits elsewhere yet in Australia they couldn't even sell as many copies as Ring Ring and Waterloo? Granted, they did hit a decline in the UK with The Visitors but 1982 seemed like a more logical point for their popularity to start to wane than 1977 was.

NorthNY Mark and Jarleboy like this.
  23. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

They were still popular in Sweden, but I really think the non-album singles sold better there than other singles. The Swedes were more album buyers. All their albums went to No. 1 there (Ring Ring No. 2).

dreambear, croquetlawns and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Yes, I agree completely. These CD singles are more a waste of resources than anything else. One track per single, no different edits or anything. Adding some bonus content, some old live recording or whatever edit would have given more purpose to these releases. But of course we as collectors are buying it, because these may be their last releases etc. People will argue that we are not forced to buy, which is true. However... the sleeve is nice to look at :winkgrin:

JulesRules and Jarleboy like this.
  25. Jokersm123

Happy to collaboration ABBA with UNICEF for children

Jarleboy, Curiosity and changeling69 like this.