New Music is Falling in Popularity in the US

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saturdayboy, Jul 21, 2022.

1. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

You're imagining it.

MortSahlFan and unclefred like this.
  2. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

AI, got a question for you...

I have a ticket for a backstage "ask Bob Dylan a question" post-concert event. Bob gives everyone the chance to ask a question and he answers them in his own way.

I know you are a bigger fan of Bob than me, SO WHAT WOULD YOU WANT ME TO ASK ON YOUR BEHALF???

3. SatchelJose

SatchelJose Forum Resident

I don't know, but 2022 has been an awesome year for music (at least for me).

ARK and acemachine26 like this.
  4. ganma

ganma Senior Member

It's a lot more profitable to keep pushing old product for record companies and zero risk. If they can get away with pushing 10-40 year old music profitably they'll do it as long as they can get away with it. They only new music they're going to back is stuff they think will guarantee sales... like yet another Max Martin production.

However, here in Japan things are different. The music industry here operates the same as it has done for decades, continuously investing in new acts, so there's plenty of quality new product with a burgeoning young fanbase. Also, there is a preference in pop music for actual performance here rather than electronic music with auto-tuned singers and that inspires young people to learn music as well.

ARK likes this.
  5. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Yeah definitely. You guys should get back to discussing something rarely talked about here....such as the Beatles.

6. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Why is new music falling in popularity? Does it suck?

7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

When was the last time we had a inanely irritating monster novelty hit annoying our eardrums? I can't remember. Crazy Frog? This must mean something about the suckiness of new music. Not sure what though.

8. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Or "Gimme Dat Ding" I still have it memorized, and I can't stand it. How about "Shuddupa You Face"?

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  9. Evethingandnothing

They knew how to write 'em in them days.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Feeble attempt at humor via a mid-80s Dead Kennedys reference. As you were.

Dan

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  11. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

How was the knowledge lost? Someone maybe should have written it down.

How to write a song by Paul McCartney

If only. Now it's too late and we ended up with Beyonce.

12. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah. And I would suggest everyone actually read the article before drawing any conclusions. First of all, this was a UK-only study. Furthermore, it's comparing quarters of sales from one year ago, not over a long period of time. It just means that less blockbuster albums have been released so far this year than at this time last year, probably.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

I quite like Beyonce. Well, sort of. But she's old.

14. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

But she's only half as old as a Beatle. So that makes her ... new?

I like Beyonce. That's why I laughed at my own joke. Because people can still write songs. Who knew?

15. Evethingandnothing

Oooh, I dunno about that. McCartney released tons of novelty stuff. Beyonce, not so much.

ARK, Bryan Harris and juss100 like this.
  16. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

It's definitely true, the heights of Mary Had a Little Lamb have yet to be reached by any music-loving professional since the 80s. Someone definitely needs to get back to the drawing board. Maybe think about using some guitars.

ARK and Evethingandnothing like this.
  17. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Music has sucked since the 1370's anyway.

speedracer, Phabes, ARK and 2 others like this.
  18. Evethingandnothing

Aye. The U.S. record industry has been in sharp decline ever since. I blame hedgehogs.

ARK likes this.
  19. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

And don't even get me started on the invention of the piano...

ARK, RudolphS and Evethingandnothing like this.
  20. Evethingandnothing

I'm with you on that. All the vibrant folk dance music got replaced by sombre seriousness. The piano has a lot to answer for.

speedracer and juss100 like this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Bob, are you working on Chronicles II, perchance?

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That's the industry dividing line between releases they're marketing as new and releases that are back catalog.

FWIW, the astounding popularity of Bad Bunny's latest release, Un Verano Sin Ti, as well as, say, the success of Morgan Wallen’s Dangerous: The Double Album and Harry Styles' Harry's House, show that new music is still generating hundreds of millions of listens. Once difference now is that they'll likely still be doing so a year and a half from now when they're catalog and even four years from now or 12 years from now (I still hear Katy Perry's "Firework" on the local Hot AC station). New pop has a longer tail than pop used to have.

For that matter all pop culture has a longer tail than it used to have. 100 years ago the average life expectancy was 53 years, now it's pushing 80. Pop culture remains in "living memory" for nearly a century now.

Of course it's also important and true what others have noted -- that in the internet age, pop culture from all eras is sort of part of any eternal present and culturally there's not the sort of "generation gaps" of the past -- generations overlap now in such large quantities and for so long -- so that there's nothing that unusual about a 17 year old streaming a Bad Bunny track and a Queen track.

23. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

1.4% is a blip.

ARK likes this.
  24. Rick220

Rick220 Forum Accident

‘A recent study has shown an alarming drop in new threads and topics on SH-forums’

I’m not sure I’m even joking. I’ve only recently become active again on the forums and was (not really) surprised to see 80% of the topics are the same or similar as a while back. I opened two new threads (new disco and clown core) and they got zero traction and quickly relegated to page 4, 7, 12, :)
    Which is perfectly fine; if they’re not interesting they’re not interesting. But at least I raised them.
    I think it’s the same with new music. As long as it’s out there, someone will find it.

ARK, mr. steak and MikeManaic61 like this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That makes sense.