New Music is Falling in Popularity in the US

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saturdayboy, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident

My theory as to why new music is slipping is that the aggregate virtuosity of being able to play instruments has tanked. What I hear in new music is a bunch of people playing basic ass predictable music and trying hard to window dress it with computer based effects.

It all sounds the same in a very real way to me.

Not even my favorite act, but "the Band" is a great example of the opposite. Those guys could play. Is there any band now where you are rocked by the prowess of their playing, the synergy, and creativity? That is what is missing.

2. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

If you like The Band you might like The Greyhounds, out of Austin, tearing it up since 2004 so not new new, but still in their prime, one of my favourites of the 21st century, see them every time I can!

Greyhounds
    "No Other Woman"

3. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Did anyone else notice that the picture of the "record store" in the OP's linked article appears to be a sneaker store that also has a rack of records?

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

"The End of Physics New Music" !

5. Brainstorm

Brainstorm Forum Resident

New music is not selling very well and older music is. Hmmm, tricky one this.
    Maybe, just maybe, the majority of new music really sucks and older music is better?

6. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Or that younger people are just staying on TikTok/Instagram while older generations are streaming more on Apple/Spotify/Tidal?

Earscape likes this.
  7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

They'll just have to manufacture better bands.

Frangelico likes this.
  8. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Depending on one’s perspective a hopeful post as I stream some baroque music

9. Dan Herrington

Dan Herrington Forum Resident

My college age daughter and I have this discussion regularly. She scolds me for not listening to more new music. I tell her I only have so much room in my brain for only so much music and it's full. For me to get into something new, I'll need to drop something and I don't hear much that would lead me to do so. For example she just got me to go with her to see the band Dry Cleaning play in Nashville and they were great and I've since listened to their album and really enjoyed it however, it won't make the cut. I'm full.

10. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

And yet, most of the videos with billions of views on YouTube are not The Beatles.

Maybe the Beatles just suck?

YouTube - Most Viewed Music Videos of All Time

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Or maybe newer music is accessed from all over the place and have a much more individualized and niche subsets of audience due to how diverse the internet is, while older music is already established canon and easily accesible by way of being namechecked by everyone already?

Or screw it, things are getting too nuanced here all modern music just sucks :D

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

That's what's missing from 18 months ago is it?

ARK likes this.
  13. Bottjer713

Bottjer713 Forum Resident

I think it is a number of things:

- With social media, gaming, etc., people aren't as focused on new music as much as previous generations. I was pretty obsessed as a teen, but there was pretty much music, music videos and sports as the main cultural attractions/hobbies for teenagers just before the Internet and high speed access. There were video games but they weren't like the video game culture today.

- The easy access to older music has people gravitating to really good classic older music on streaming services. Why would I spend time on a new Harry Styles album when I can listen to Pink Floyd, Prince, the Police, etc.?

- The music industry focus switch from artist development to cheap production and pop and hip-hop based on "beats" is something that paid off in the short term and even was deemed fresh for a while. However, the quality of artists as players, singers, performers and songwriters is really diminished, at least at the mainstream level.

Earscape likes this.
  14. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

If I could find new music that:

1. Offers something new that I haven't heard before, in an accessible, and well-crafted manner

and

2. Is equal or better than the decades of similar music available to me...

I would certainly listen.

I expect some of that is out there, but life's just too short to sift through layers of dreck to find an elusive nugget.

Especially when I've barely scratched the surface of great 20th century music.

Earscape and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  15. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Well, Black Midi blew my ****ing face off last night at the Paradise, so...yes, there must be at least one.

Sorry, they're really short on oblique mythological nostalgia for the antebellum South, though.

ARK, ndoheny, MikeManaic61 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

"Bumper stickers should be issued" Neil Young.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I think people should try reading the article first - "old music" is defined as music which is more than 18 months old - before they start indulging in old geezer fantasies that kids today are passing over Harry Styles for the Allman Brothers or whatever.

acemachine26, ARK, Synthfreek and 3 others like this.
  18. speedracer

If you can't beat em join em! Life is too short for anything but the same stale thing I wasted it on.
    I love you Big Brother (and the Holding Company)

19. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

People listen to the music they grew up with. This forum is the same. Music is one of many forms of entertainment for most. Some people are obsessed with music. We are always searching. New old anything we might like. That’s my crowd. Lots of great new music. Popular opinion is only one part of it for me. Patty Griffins , Tape, is really cool. Starcrawler, All Them Witches, Boris (W) album is cool. King Woman I love. Uniform and Deafheaven are great live. Lourdes new one is cool. Kama s i Washington is on a roll. I don’t know, creativity goes on. Music is one long conversation. I wanna hear as much as I can while I’m around.

zen, speedracer and MikeManaic61 like this.
  20. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I try not to make blanket judgements about new music because I've come to realize how utterly personal musical tastes are.

For example, I love music that is easily accessible, organic, has lots of hooks and, above all, swings.

That brand of music is very hard to find right now. And when I do find some, its typically so derivative of music I already know that I don't find a lot to enjoy (although I'll gladly see new artists making that music live, as the joy of seeing young musicians tear it up is one I always savor).

If, OTOH, I enjoyed beats, soundscapes, confessional folk music and childlike pop, I'd be gobbling up new stuff.

It's all about your personal perspective.

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

lol

“What the streaming platforms are pushing” are called algorithms. They analyze what you’ve been listening to and suggest musically similar artists. As for it being “the new payola,” well, let’s see what those vicious, deep-pocketed corporate overlords want me to listen to this week.

Here’s the artists on the Listen Now tab of my preferred streaming service, which is where they put these things:

Beach Bunny
    Papernut Cambridge
    The Wedding Present
    Telefis
    Porridge Radio
    Angel Olsen
    Wunderhorse
    Laura Veirs
    Close Lobsters
    ‘Heavenly
    The Pooh Sticks
    Supergrass
    Grifters
    Versus
    The Ladybug Transistor
    East River Pipe
    Fastbacks
    Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments
    The Popguns
    Papas Fritas
    Seam
    Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
    Fievel Is Glaque
    Honeyglaze
    Franco Micalizzi
    Gabriella Cohen
    Redd Kross
    Armando Trovajoli
    The Beths
    The Style Council
    The Primitives
    Blur
    Sultans of Ping FC
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
    Sammy
    Comet Gain
    The Clean
    Trembling Blue Stars
    Portastatic
    The Weather Station
    Maia Friedman
    Skullcrusher
    Widowspeak
    Kalbells
    Twain
    Horsegirl
    Courtney Barnett
    Bachelor
    Snail Mail
    Young Guv
    Tobin Sprout
    The Spinanes
    Momma
    Velocity Girl
    Ultra Vivid Scene
    Silkworm
    Dinosaur Jr
    Yo La Tengo
    Belle and Sebastian
    Sonic Youth
    The Sundays
    PJ Harvey
    Cat Power
    Stereolab
    My Bloody Valentine
    Elliott Smith
    Nina Nastasia
    Elf Power
    Blue Orchids
    Mush
    Wet Leg
    Yard Act and Elton John
    Secret Stars
    The Bodines
    Naima Bock
    Guided By Voices
    Ennio Morricone
    Jerry Fielding
    Carlo Pes
    Amedeo Tommasi
    Fred Bongusto
    Roberto Pregadio
    Angelo F. Lavagnino
    Nora Orlandi
    Piero Piccolini

Man, it seems like those vicious, deep-pocketed corporate overlords want me to listen to…current indie artists, 80s and 90s indie artists, and a lot of Italian soundtrack composers. Sooo…pretty much what I’m usually listening to on streaming, then. Cool!

ARK and ndoheny like this.
  22. speedracer

Ummm . . . lemme guess . . . because new music sucks?

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  23. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

No, because he only listens to artists beginning with P.

24. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

When Drake’s last album dropped, songs from it were added to almost every playlist on Spotify including country, alternative, etc…
    Do you think that was an algorithm malfunction?
    If you don’t think certain artists aren’t being given preferences in those algorithms, you are very naive.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  25. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

That deserves a response......from Roger Waters.