New Neil Young Archives release: Roxy 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Because Neil and his team tend to be the worst judges of what we want to see and hear. Of course, that being said, I've been riveted to Neil and his music for over 40 years now, so maybe he does have a clue after all...
    NYF

James Bennett, keyse1 and Alan57 like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Dang this album sounds good. I will be spinning this a lot.

3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I disagree. The Archives have been pretty stellar all around IMO for the past decade. We are lucky to have so much. It's pretty obvious Neil and his team take the Archives VERY seriously. Unfortunately, we do have to wait and they change their mind or take too much time getting stuff out. Hitchhiker and Roxy all within one year? I'm pretty happy and looking forward to whatever is next. Neil is certainly on a 70's kick lately so I think Archives 2 has to be in it's thousandth stage of being an official release.

teag, footlooseman and aoxomoxoa like this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I agree. Neil just is tired of being screwed by the industry. He's trying to find ways to make money off his stash and who can blame him?
    Originally he took the route of overpriced vinyl, but he has changed his game and now offers his new releases at very reasonable prices.
    Then when Archives came out it was a cash grab, IMO. He could have just released the unreleased stuff but he added so much already released material to Archives, that it was priced to high for the casual fan (who just downloaded off the internet for free anyway). Then he comes up with NYA, which by design is a brilliant idea. I hope it works out, but for me I am a physical media buyer. The idea of booting up my computer to listen to music annoys me. So let's hope that he releases more physical media like Roxy & Hitchhiker.

Mr-Beagle, Maurice, cwitt1980 and 2 others like this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Neil and his team certainly take their work seriously, but the delays and change of mind are down to Neil, not his crew. Projects get finished, then get shelved for something else. The audio transfers for the Archives were completed ages ago. It's just a case of when Neil will finally let it all out.

6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Whatever. I'm just saying anyone whining about us not getting what we want is being totally selfish. Look at the past decade or so of Archive releases. We are very lucky.

Graham and NeilYoungFan like this.
  7. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

I largely agree. If I was one of the selfish people whining, I didn't really mean it. I was just saying that at times what Neil thinks the fans want isn't necessarily what "we" want. But I admitted that I've been riveted to him and his music for 40+ years, so clearly he knows what he's doing (and what "we" want)...

And now the lucky folks in Santa Barbara get to see Neil & the Promise of the Real play a couple of warm-up gigs this week.

And then the lucky folks in St. Louis, Detroit, Boston and Chicago get to see solo Neil...
    NYF

cwitt1980 and James Bennett like this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just got mine, finally, today.

Baby, mellow my mind this is so terrific. Don’t records sound great?...Original master tapes, I love you!

footlooseman likes this.
  9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

footlooseman likes this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And I couldn’t get enough!

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s ridiculous and funny.

James Bennett likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Finally dropped in my mailbox this week. Man what a fine CD. Very nice performance. I'm not usually a fan of the in between raps but for this CD it works really well. Real cool vibes and a fun way to reconnect with the songs from the studio album too. Already a favourite of mine in the NYA PS series.

13. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly, give me the album over this. This is a great release, but it's very very similar and the album cuts out skippable banter.

14. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

Makes one wish for the TTN Holy Grail, the Briggs acetate recorded live in the studio.

Six Bachelors and Spadeygrove like this.
  15. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I'm not as well versed in NY as some of you - a quick rundown of this?

16. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

setlistthief likes this.
  17. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I pulled this out again tonight....man, such a great set. The whole thing just hangs together - I like the raps, I mean it really makes the whole thing feel like an event.
    I haven’t bought all of the performance series stuff - I picked job Roxy, Massey, Fillmore....will get Judy I think. I should probably get Cellar Door and Sugar Mountain!! Such a great load of riches.

superstar19 and RoyalPineapple like this.
  18. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Bluenote. Cafe.

For something completely different. With an awesome band.

RomanZ likes this.
  19. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Yeah, that too. It’s all good - and so much still to come.

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  20. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

Yes, get all those. In the meantime, thank you for reminding me to play Roxy.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

I just played this for the first time last night, on the RSD vinyl. This is certainly the quietest vinyl pressing I have ever heard. Absolutely zero surface noise. I did a double take...it was unbelievable.
    The music itself was great...I really enjoyed it. Need to listen to it a few more times.
    I am loving the bounty of these archive releases.

22. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Just curious, I finally listened to mine a few times. Not really what I expected, just curious if anyone else thinks so?

One reason why I liked the studio album so much, is the laidbackness, but also kind of sadness and depression that permeates the whole thing. But there was also a sloppy looseness, and I mean that in a good way.

Listening to this, I did a double take, making sure it was recorded in 1973. First, the sound is fabulous. But it also strikes me as a "happier" record. ?? To me, it doesn't have the same dark "tone" that the studio album does.

I don't mean any of that in a good or bad way, just that it's not what I expected. IOW, the live record to me is waaay different than the studio album. Obviously, I don't want the studio album live, but I just expected something different. :hide:

??

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well, it's live. In front of a loving, small club crowd. And Neil was loaded. So that might explain some of the difference.

24. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

:D
    Really? IIRC he really loaded during the TNT sessions! :D

sparkmeister likes this.
  25. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Plus the vinyl reissues are almost all AAA and much care goes into every release really. I also disagree.

cwitt1980 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.