New Neil Young Archives release: Roxy 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Great news. The 24 April date must be an error? Seems a bit odd to do an RSD exclusive (bonus print, not withstanding) and then do a mass release a few days later.
    I'm surprised it's stretched to 2 LP too. Seems a bit excessive.

Side 1:

1. Tonight's The Night
    2. Mellow My Mind
    3. World On A String

Side 2:

1. Speakin' Out
    2. Albuquerque
    3. New Mama
    4. Roll Another Number (For The Road)

Side 3:

1. Tired Eyes
    2. Tonight's The Night
    3. Walk On

Side 4:
    Etched artwork

Graham likes this.
  3. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Don't forget there's the between song banter and raps and stuff.

footlooseman and qtrules like this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Wow this would be great but won't believe it til I hear it.

5. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I thought there would be a few more songs but it'll be getting pre-ordered sharpish regardless.

George Blair likes this.
  6. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

This looks fantastic. Will definitely be preordering!

7. It looks like one definitely worth getting. Since it's Neil Young it will be an automatic purchase for me anyway.

Sean, Kahunasunset, qtrules and 2 others like this.
  8. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

My local emporium still has hand written stickers on the RSD Decade albums explaining their extra cost considering they are racked with the ones that came out - again sans prints - very shortly after.

9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Yeah, keep stuff like this coming. Clear out the vault!

Sean, Alan57, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  10. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

So this is the first Santa Monica Flyers show at the Roxy then 9/20/73. Cool.
    Cant wait. great cover.
    Maybe we'll get Roxy versions of Cowgirl, The Losing End and Down By The River at some stage on archives.

Also the first time he played Walk On live.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  11. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Since he called it Tonight's the Night Live, I guess it's not surprising those are the only songs on it. But it would be nice to hear the other songs from the run.

Sean, JoeF., footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  12. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Agree, an online archives-only ep of Cowgirl, River, and Losing End would be enticing

13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I'm sorry but I'll always be surprised when they sooner leave one side "etched" than throw something relevant on there.

walrus and EwaWoowa like this.
  14. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

Nash was the warm-up, for at least part of the run. But does anyone have any idea what he played? Or with what (if any) accompaniment?

This is intriguing to me because Nash in this period was recording with Young's Stray Gators crew (Barbata, Keith, Drummond, and "Joe Yankee" himself) and because his resulting record Wild Tales is so akin to Young's "ditch" work in its searching bleakness. All of this must've stemmed from Nash's involvement in the early-'73 Neil/Gators Time Fades tour. It's interesting (to me, at least) that Nash was paralleling Neil so closely through the year and it's not something that I've ever heard discussed. (And oh boy, does Ben Keith shine on the underrated Wild Tales...)

Kind of an unexplored link between those unlikeliest of CSNY bandmates...anyone have any info/thoughts...?

15. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Might well be a compilation of the Roxy dates? Not sure. Most of Neil's live albums are compilations.

It's the first known version Walk On, but it potentially may have been played at earlier "unknown setlist" dates. Just like Dangerbird from the Catalyst 1990 is the first documented live version, but it's very plausible that it may have in fact debuted at some point on the 1975/1976 bar tour with a lot of the other Zuma tracks.

Will be great to hear either way.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no, 3 songs from 'tonight's the night' are missing, and 'walk on' is from 'on the beach'.

there is no way this is a full concert, unless each song is 10 minutes long.

i just don't understand neil young, i know i know, after all these years i should....but this one really doesn't make sense...i know he is looking for money, but is the way he is going to do it. releasing half concerts?

what's next? 'tonight's the night part II"?

and where is the individual release of 'time fades away'?

DmitriKaramazov, bonus and JoeF. like this.
  17. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

This Neil Young thread is now finally complete now that Time Fades Away on CD has been brought up!

At all stores both brick and mortar and online, and online digital stores in amazing sounding high resolution audio, easily burnable to as many discs as needed.

18. RoyalPineapple

In fact, the tracklist matches the complete setlist of the first Roxy show, minus only one song: The Losing End. These were short club gigs. Though in all probability the album is a compilation, like his other live albums.

The 3 missing songs you mention were not actually on the original planned 1973 version of Tonight's The Night; leftovers added to the running order in 1975 when it was finally released.

izgoblin, Graham, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

This appears to be the early show from Sept 20. It has all the songs performed at that show, so YES WAY it is a complete show.

Edit: I guess the losing end is missing.

20. RoyalPineapple

The Losing End is missing, but yes, very little has been cut out from a "full" setlist.

That said, I still expect this to be a compilation of recordings from multiple nights, mostly arranged (as the gigs were) into the same order as one of the original planned tracklists for Tonight's The Night, before the additional material was added.

21. RoyalPineapple

I suspect Neil didn't add the non-Tonight's The Night songs to the tracklist to avoid the same mistake David Briggs accused him of with the studio version: adding additional songs that (in his mind) watered down the "unrelenting" experience of the "core" songs.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Mr. D likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thank you, i had no idea.....and all those downloads come with complete artwork liner notes and lyric sheets just like the original LP too, right?

EricSwan, bonus and bobcat like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so, without 'the losing end" it NO WAY a complete show.

thanks

bonus likes this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and yes, until young releases 'time fades away" as a single CD in a digipak or jewel case, i will continue to bring it up.

it is foolishness not being out there.

25. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Perhaps, but it has little to no relevance to this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.