New Neil Young Archives release: Roxy 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

The Losing End was not performed at the first show.

2. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I was going by the setlist at Sugar Mountain (sourced in this particular case from Pete Long, who gets his info from long-time archivist Joel Bernstein).

3. Glass Candy

My bad, sorry about that. Still, I don't think this will be drawn from just one performance. If it was, I think they would be hyping it as such.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. RoyalPineapple

I agree, it is probably a compilation, just like all his other live albums.

5. zuma11

zuma11 Forum Resident

From the August 1975 interview with Cameron Crowe,

Why did you wait until now to release Tonight's the Night? Isn't it almost two years old?

I never finished it. I only had nine songs, so I set the whole thing aside and did On the Beach instead. It took Elliot [manager Elliot Roberts] to finish Tonight's The Night. You see, a while back there were some people who were gonna make a Broadway show out of the story of Bruce Berry and everything. They even had a script written. We were putting together a tape for them and in the process of listening back on the old tracks, Elliot found three even older songs that related to the trip, "Lookout Joe," "Borrowed Tune" and "Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown," a live track from when I played the Filmore East with Crazy Horse. Danny even sings lead on that one. Elliot added those songs to the original nine and sequenced them all into a cohesive story. But I still had no plans whatsoever to release it. I already had another new album called Homegrown in the can. The cover was finished and everything. [laughs] Ah, but they'll never hear that one.

Sean, Sigma6 and budwhite like this.
  6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Ah man, how happy were you when you realized it was missing that ONE song?

James Bennett likes this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its ALL ONE song.

DrAftershave, Sean, mw1917 and 3 others like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how unhappy were you when you realized it was missing that one song?

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree completely. Of course I'm going to pick this up --if it comes out on CD---but why NOT a complete show? Or at least a 2CD or 4LP set of the best cuts culled from the complete Roxy run? I realize Tonight's the Night is the focus, but it would be great to hear other songs from his catalog played by the Flyers during this period.

rjp likes this.
  10. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

They're all one song...

Davmoco likes this.
  11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

There was a time when this would have been an immediate pre-order....but given Mr Young releases - both archival and new material - of recent years, might wait and have a listen first.

12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm sorry to say that only his Archive releases are automatic buys for me these days.

izgoblin and Coricama like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

perhaps, but maybe, just maybe, the neil young camp will stumble upon one of these neil young threads and read it...so i think it needs to be there in every one of them.

14. RoyalPineapple

Neil's live albums have never been "complete shows", so in that respect this should come as no surprise. And to be honest, there weren't a great deal of other songs played at the Roxy: Cowgirl, Losing End, a one-off version of Down By The River. That's it. It was a handful of short club shows, not a major tour.

Unfortunately the later (and longer) shows at the bigger venues (including the notorious UK gigs) were not professionally recorded. Fortunately many of them do exist, courtesy of audience tapes.

"A set of the best cuts compiled from the complete Roxy run": I suspect that is exactly what this album will be.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Sean, matt79rome89, qtrules and 3 others like this.
  15. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Maybe the Xstream version on his site will have an expanded set online but just not on vinyl.

16. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

It should be on every page!

17. Glass Candy

For a while, it was said that the London Rainbow show was going to be the live release from this tour, so that one, at least, had to have been recorded professionally.

Efus and bonus like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

They wont. Neil will only do what Neil wants.

It don't have to be that way, but it do.

19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

At the risk of sounding like a Luddite, I prefer physical copies.

Sean, mgb70, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Neil's always been Neil, for good or ill both to himself or his fans.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah he could have stopped releasing any archival stuff ages ago.

The problem is he says the stuff is out there and its in the can and waiting or whatever, people start frothing and he puts out something new instead. Ad infinum.

Im still hoping for TFA 2, whatever that is going to be but in the meantime this Roxy release is wonderful.

22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It's all one thread.

23. What do you mean? His archival releases have been uniformly great.

24. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I'm guessing an Archives vol. 2, would feature something like that, old jams played w new players on a different arrangement.
    But this being a commercial release, the decision was made to spotlight the live airing of new stuff.

Don't forget that a lot of those old jams (River, CitS, The Losing End) are probably going to be on whatever becomes of Budokan-Hammersmith by the revitalized Horse, and that baby will have some video to accompany it.

JoeF. likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

one thing is absolute:

any time neil young does anything....the chatter here goes way up :)

Sean and richard a like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.