New Netflix David Fincher series - Mindhunter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mattright, Oct 15, 2017.

1. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

jlocke08 likes this.
  2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yayyy dump a really popular show to make a movie no one cares about.

rebellovw and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The least they could is make a two hour finale to tie up the loose ends.
    What a shame.

jlocke08 and Vidiot like this.
  4. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Damn. After BCS this was probably my favorite show from the past couple of years.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

understatement!

GodShifter likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, I liked Season 1 a lot.

I thought Season 2 got bogged down with the storyline about the son, the storyline about the gay woman and her girlfriend, etc. The profiling stuff was good (though that was better in Season 1), but the personal life stuff wasn't so much. The trajectory, for me, wasn't in the right direction. So while I would have watched Season 3, I'm not totally bummed it's getting delayed/canceled.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The thing is, despite the gripes about the second season, the show was still pretty good and with the basis of the series there was a wealth of material to explore. Yeah, shows get bogged down or lose their way, but this one had enormous potential, great acting, and a story arc that is now completely left in limbo (BTK). The fact that the plug has been pulled from this show really sucks.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Excellent. I’ve been recommending this show on this forum since 2018. You’re the only other person besides me to mention the show. Here’s what I wrote in another thread:
    “You (Netflix). Very addictive, sexy thriller. Very Dexter-ish. Highly recommended. Season 2 just dropped yesterday.”

Scott222C likes this.
  9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Same thoughts here. And to much of those righteous mothers. It dropped in quality after season 1.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Season 1 was better, although both seasons are quite watchable in a pulpy sort of way.

The main character is interesting. But in both seasons, and in particular season 2, it pushes progressively harder on plausibility envelope as it goes along.

I don't think You has much relationship to Mindhunter, though.

11. A movie and a cartoon series? Fincher really needs to get his priorities straight.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Possibly unpopular question, but: couldn't Mindhunter have carried on without Fincher's involvement?

He's set the stylish template for the show, but could new show runners not run have with the baton?

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was wondering the same thing unless he has some exclusive deal with Netflix involved with the series.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Is there a thread for that show on this forum? You run a search for You + Netflix and pull up all sorts of random stuff.

15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That's probably what it is--Netflix likely has a contract that he has to be hands-on involved with the series.

Still, he was able to get House Of Cards off the ground for the streaming service and then moved on to other things.

MikeInFla and GodShifter like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Good point re: HoC. I dunno, but I’m frustrated.

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Hearing this brings me down almost as much as watching the show. ;)

18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Totally bummed out - hopefully they rectify the this. Just like Deadwood - with Milch leaving to do that stupid surfer series.

19. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Deadwood was cancelled though wasn't it? Too expensive to produce, same as what happened to Rome.

GentleSenator and GodShifter like this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Milch left to do something else - that is why it ended. That is what I believe anyhow - from the interwebs - says something different:

John From Cincinnati was a television show created by acclaimed television writer David Milch for HBO as a follow-up to the quite popular show Deadwood. Deadwood had been cancelled abruptly after its third season, with neither a satisfying conclusion nor a satisfying explanation for its cancellation. When John From Cincinnati debuted, people wrongly believed that Milch had abandoned Deadwood to make it, so their ire was already way up, primed to hate whatever it was because it wasn’t what they wanted. In addition, JFC made its debut immediately following the beguiling and controversial series finale of The Sopranos. Seen in this context, it’s no surprise that the show was vilified, and cancelled after only 10 episodes. It could have been about anything—there was no way audiences would embrace it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  21. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

'Indefinite hold' doesn't outright mean 'cancelled', and Fincher was likely doing right by his cast. Given the time frame of the show, maybe Fincher was always playing the long game - with an eye to return to the series in a few years, set 10 years later. That could work, given the rise of (romanticised) 'profiling' in the post-Silence of the Lambs world; indeed, that would allow us to catch up with Tench's son as a troubled teen...

Gumboo and MikeInFla like this.
  22. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

No. I was a series writer and producer on Deadwood. David did not choose to leave the show and allow it to be cancelled. HBO publicized John From Cincinnati as it’s replacement after news leaked, but that was basically a coverup to try and appease disgruntled Deadwood fans. The reasons for the cancellation of Deadwood were complex but did center to a great extent on contract expenses, particularly David’s. Deadwood was developed for Paramount TV, which limited the international cash flow into HBO’s coffers, as Paramount had to be repaid for David’s very expensive development deal ($17M) out of the profits. HBO asked Les Moonves, then running Paramount TV, for a renegotiation, but Moonves refused. In short, the plan was then to have two Deadwood movies to tie things up but, as we know, it took almost fifteen years for one to get done.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Thanks - you are my hero - loved the show - my entire family loved that show.

TeddyB likes this.
  24. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Yes I remember now, it was your post that made me check out that show - thank you ! :righton:

25. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

EVOLVIST likes this.