New Netflix David Fincher series - Mindhunter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mattright, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Which is exactly like the lead profiler character in Michael Mann’s Manhunter. The very first filmed version of the Hannibal Lector films.

He had to retire because Lector really got into his head big time.

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

He doesn’t say anything in the book about depression or breakdowns from too much contact with serial killers. His health scare was encephalitis that he attributed to working himself into the ground. If anything he seems to really enjoy it, like Holden does. Douglas has said in interviews he hates the character inspired by him in SOTL movies and Hannibal, and that the new TV show is the first to properly portray him.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Including the breakdown at the hospital in the final episode where he basically crawls into a ball and sobs hysterically?

Yes, I worked on that for Michael some years ago, as well as Miami Vice and Crime Story. Michael's an interesting guy. :sigh:

Chrome_Head, Gardo and GentleSenator like this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There’s no mention of that insident in the book. I don’t think meeting with Kemper in the hospital actually happened.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's very possible they just needed a cliffhanger with which to end the first sequence, and this seemed like a logical way to go. All the FBI agents in the story have different names from who they were based on, so it's not exactly a documentary.

6. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I think this show if is kind of like Narcos...based on true events with plenty of fiction mixed in to make it view like a TV drama and not like a documentary.

GodShifter, BEAThoven and Binni like this.
  7. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Late to the party, but this is one hell of an amazing series. The wife and I made this show our Thanksgiving holiday-weekend "watching" binge (trying to replace the traditional "eating" binge with a "watching" binge!;))

We thought the actor who potrayed Bill Tench delivered an astounding perfomance. He seemlessly created the most accessible character on the show, and works as the perfect "guide" for the audience. He's the everyman "realist" who navigates us around the extremes of this new world of criminology.

Chrome_Head and googlymoogly like this.
  8. ScaramangaFran

ScaramangaFran Forum Resident

Absolutely awesome series. Bring on season 2.

Chrome_Head and Stan94 like this.
  9. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Love this series! We just finished on Saturday. My favorite character is Unit Chief Shepard, who is perfectly annoyed by Holden's actions and attitude. Holt McCallany is outstanding as Bill Tench, too. The character does well to demonstrate the struggle that an old school tough guy like Tench is having in dealing with twisted individuals like Kemper and Speck. His instinct is to dismiss them as worthless psychopaths but he sees how Holden's research is useful in understanding them.

Anna Torv is fantastic, as expected.

Having already been a bit knowledgeable about Edmund Kemper, I was blown away by not only the actor's portrayal of him but also who well Fincher presented him. Kemper's matter-of-fact and intelligent delivery really makes the things he's saying - the descriptions of and inspirations for his murders and post-murder actions - chilling.

GodShifter and googlymoogly like this.
  10. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Chrome_Head and Brenald79 like this.
  11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Sex, nudity and sequence killers.....I was hooked from the git-go. By the way, was the first
    out-of-town detective they helped not the actor who interrogated Kramer in that `Seinfeld'
    episode where they thought he was a `sequence killer' in LA?

12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Just finished the season. The actor who portrayed the despicable Richard Speck was
    brilliant. The finale wasn't disappointing at all, but left me wanting more. Now.

painted8 likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The incident at the hospital with Kemper never happened. That is pure fiction.

Brenald79 likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Oh, do tell :D

I read a story about Mann that when he was shooting “Last of the Mohicans” he was very indulgent and off the rails. The story that made me laugh the most was there was a night shoot that went on forever. At one point Mann screamed after about eight straight hours of shooting, “WHAT’S THAT RED BALL THAT KEEPS GETTING INTO MY FRAME??!!!” One the assistants meekly replied, “it’s the sun, Michael”. :laugh:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

After reading Mindhunter and Obsession I didn't think so. I'm glad he's finally happy how he's being portrayed on screen. It's based on his life after all.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Allyngr

Allyngr Forum Resident

Excellent series and the Kemper portrayal was worthy of an award. For me the weakest link was a Jonathan Groff. He had too much of a childlike wonder to him and some of his lines were delivered a bit wooden. I found I noticed the acting with him and couldn’t quite achieve suspension of disbelief. The other actors, Torv and McCallany etc were stunningly good and I quite wait to see the next serial killers. I assume they will do all of the big names? Gacy, Dahmer, Bronson etc

GodShifter likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Doubtful with Bronson but a possibility with Dahmer and maybe Gacy. Who knows as the series progresses, but we’re looking at American serial killers from the 60’s to the 80’s primarily. You might figure on Bundy, Bittaker and Norris (who are mentioned in the series), and maybe someone like Richard Ramirez.

So far, the interviews they’ve covered are actual ones that Douglas and Ressler did, but show certainly could use creative license to interview others that they did not.

Allyngr likes this.
  18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Great series and like all great series, it went by way too quick. I'll probably watch it again before the new seeason comes out.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. painted8 likes this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have to agree I like Hannah's acting here as well. It was convincing to me as the character she brought to life reminds me of someone I know well.

I bought a "For Emmy Consideration" set of this season from ebay. It's very cool because it comes in a mock FBI classification folder, a nice touch. A good season, well directed and acted. I thought Anna Torv's character's interaction with the unseen cat was interesting. Still pondering what that might mean. . . of all the things to be "still pondering about" with this series. . . .

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No one mentions Holt McCallany, who for me, epitomes b-actor. One reason I couldn't stomach this hokey, phony feeling show.

24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Great show if I find nothing interesting to watch this weekend which is usually the case, I'll rewatch it.

25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

If you'll scroll up a bit, you'll see that several people here mention him in very complimentary terms.

GentleSenator and painted8 like this.