New Netflix David Fincher series - Mindhunter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mattright, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

He just exudes so little genuineness for me, I can't buy him. Ever. And I have trouble with the lead, as well. Is this supposed so quirky, or is it just plasticity? I dunno. I tried this show twice, and even as a Fincher fan, it's too simplistic all around.

Crimson jon likes this.
  2. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

I watched this a few months back and loved it.

Here's the trailer for season 2, out on August 16. That shot of BTK in the mask is creepy, to say the least.

3. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Most interesting thing on the web today. Thanks for the tip! I saw Season 1, about a hundred years ago. Now I need to remind myself on the details.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm pumped. Fincher really brought the goods on that last episode.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Damian Herriman as Manson at 0:46.

Edmund Kemper returns. Interesting. Do we get some Richard Speck in this one as well? Looks good.

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is it about Manson?

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

in the last episode of last season? no.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Wow they kept this quiet.

Daryl M likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Manson is in at least one of the episodes in this second season. Same actor who portrayed him in “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood”.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that split second of him in the trailer was pretty disturbing

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Damon Herriman a terrific actor. He’s played everything from a doofus member of the Crowe family in Justified and a transsexual secret service person.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, I screwed his name up in post # 155. That’s embarrassing.

My favorite work of his is in the cancelled Cinemax series Quarry. He was tremendous in that. I never saw him as Manson, but with his stature and acting ability, I can totally see it now.

Crimson jon and wayneklein like this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Damon’s also great in the main cast of Mr. Inbetween, a current FX series.

GodShifter and wayneklein like this.
  14. Yeah he was great there as well. He’s a terrific actor. Funnily enough he’s Australian but, like all great actors, can effortlessly slip into a role regardless of the country the character is from.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Looks like a shot of Berkowitz around the :43 mark.

16. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Where can one stream Quarry? Even Cinemax doesn't seem to carry it any more!! Was it that bad that they disassociate themselves from their own series? LOL I could buy the season on Amazon Prime, but I just want to watch it once.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I watched the original series through, uh, other means. Now, through my TV package with Frontier I can download an app that gives me access everything I subscribe to in terms of pay channels. I was able to re-watch Quarry on that as well as Banshee (another Cinemax original). Quarry was quite good, but only made it through one season unfortunately.

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

re-watching season 1 to refresh my memory, and man oh man i'd kind of forgotten how outstanding some of the acting and writing is in this show. the scenes between kemper & ford are some of the most unnerving i've ever seen. they definitely overshadow some of the less-than-stellar scenes (there aren't too many).

Chrome_Head and GodShifter like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It appears one of the focuses of this season will be Wayne Williams and the Atlanta child murders.

Chrome_Head and GentleSenator like this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Besides the John Douglas books another related interesting author is Robert D. Hare who wrote about psychopaths. His 2 bestsellers were Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us and Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work. Like Douglas, he was a researcher in criminal psychology in areas no one else was.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

There’s the book by Robert Ressler who worked with Douglas. The other guy in “Mindhunters” is based on Ressler, in fact.

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is such a great show. Cannot wait for season 2.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what about BTK? i mean, that was him for moments at the beginning of each episode in season 1, right?

GodShifter likes this.
  24. beatlesfan9091

Here's the full trailer:

25. beatlesfan9091

The trailer that I just posted opens with the Otero murders, so I suspect that BTK will have a bigger role in Season 2. Obviously they won't catch him (I imagine if they do show his capture in the show it'll be near the end, maybe even the series finale), but the earlier teaser trailer shows Holden looking at a cut phone line, which was part of BTK's M.O.

BTK is one of the most frightening serial killers to me because of the "dorky dad" persona he seems to have. I can mentally connect Bundy, Dahmer, Gacy, Ridgway, etc. with their crimes, but with BTK I can't.

GentleSenator likes this.