New no-man album release.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Troy4, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Likewise, regarding needing to hear more tracks. I like this song until the percussion kicks in, when it starts to sound really like paint by numbers disco.

It comes as a shock to realise that the previous No-man album, Schoolyard Ghosts, is over ten years old.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

There’s also been the live album Love and Endings but I agree it’s been a long time.

3. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I'm loving it to bits.

The new No-Man album boldly goes where No-Man hasn’t been before, and turns out to be one of the best things they’ve ever done.

I’ve put together a brief blog review which offers some thoughts on the music, possible influences, and why this album might be a major step change in Wilson’s approach to producing his music.

Hope you find it interesting.

No-Man – Love You To Bits (2019) (*****)

4. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Burning Shed sent out an email – evidently the cassette pressing doesn't include the bonus tracks, and replacements are being made. That's quite a screwup.

Groovy likes this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The more I hear of this album, the harder I am finding it to get enthused about it. I don't mind the disco influence, but for me that has to be accompanied by some good melodies. Certainly there are some melodies there, but they seem very simple, almost banal, certainly by Steven Wilson standards.There is one particular motif consisting of a major chord alternating with its parallel minor, which sounds quite nice but seems to be used repetitively, diluting its effect.

Certain sections sound a little like some of Midnight Juggernauts' material, which is not a bad thing at all but I think MJ had more interesting melodies. I miss that band. Haven't heard any news of the Juggers for a long time.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    LivingForever likes this.
  6. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Thank you for mentioning the bonus tracks. I'm waiting for my vinyl from B'S' and had no idea there was additional music I missing out on. For anyone else who doesn't know, they're available in hi-res on Tidal and Qobuz.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  7. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Loving it. A strong early no-man vibe about the whole thing. Check out the 1993 outtake Love Among The White Trash for a very close cousin.
    There’s also elements of early Porcupine Tree too, Burning Sky, that sort of thing.
    Now all we need is a deluxe of Loveblows era material bringing together all the early singles and I’ll be a very happy guy.

mcwlod, Musiko and seasonsinthesky like this.
  8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

10. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Love to have this on vinyl along with Flowermouth. Maybe someday hopefully.

seasonsinthesky and Neonbeam like this.
  11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

13. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Received a nice message from Tim yesterday thanking me for my review and picking up on the 10cc observation I made:

"You're the fourth or fifth person who's made the I'm Not In Love observation. It wasn't intended, but it remains a favourite piece for me (and the first single I bought). 10cc's Kevin Godley sang on my solo album from earlier this year in honour of that. Clearly, it's in the DNA."

Musiko, Neonbeam and mcwlod like this.
  14. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I really dig this new album, it reminds me a bit of those early Porcupine Tree psychedelic trips like Voyage 34 or some parts of Up the Downstairs.
    Psycho-disco, why not? :cool:

Sadcafe likes this.
  15. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Received my blue copy yesterday. Amazing album and the sound is marvellous. Great stuff!

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Received mine today. The print is nice. I also bought the CD and played it rather than crack open the vinyl. Very nice. I'll be playing it quite a bit in the next few weeks.

Musiko likes this.
  17. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I love it, but I do feel it's a bit on the short side as an album. Barely 35 minutes. I wouldn't have minded Shreds 1-3 to be mixed in somewhere to make it 5-10 minutes longer.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  18. OptimisticGoat

I quite like the concept of a shorter album. Maybe not this short but give me the best stuff and save the rest for a super deluxe in 25 years!

19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I hope this was tongue in cheek.

I'm not referring specifically to this No-man release, but I worry that the current fad for bonus discs, bonus tracks, deluxe editions etc. is feeding an expectation from the fans that there will always be more to come from a particular release - which in turn may be leading some musicians down the path of laziness in putting together an album. "That song isn't as good as this other one we left off, but that's OK, we can save the other song for next year's deluxe reissue or make it a Record Store Day exclusive or something. I say no. Make the album as good as you can make it, finish it and release the bugger. Then move on to the next one.

20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I agree with you in many ways. Having heard the taster video and thought, "wow, this sounds great", I was a tiny bit disappointed to discover that the whole album is essentially a long extended version of that one single melodic/harmonic idea. I do think the idea of an electro/disco-prog album is potentially fertile territory but I was hoping for a whole album of interesting melodies to go with it.

But if you treat it for what it is (basically an extended piece like Voyage 34 or something), it is very good. Great for the gym, too :)

P.S. I also miss the Juggernauts and hope they'll be back sometime!

21. OptimisticGoat

I take your point and to the extent that you say put the best stuff on an album - I agree. But an album is a listening experience of the best stuff, not all the stuff IMHO. I’m sick of getting 55 minutes with 20 minutes of ***** thrown in. Give me 40 minutes of quality. If I like that maybe I’ll buy the outtakes later. I am yet to hear a recent album chock full of quality. I heard that in the pre CD era.

To that point - this album is consistent and does not overstay it’s welcome.

Sadcafe likes this.
  22. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I have the No-man Heaven Taste EP. If I was honest with myself, the new album sounds like much the same sort of beast as Heaven Taste, which is an extended ambient piece that's basically constructed on just a couple of musical motifs. It works, and I like it for what it is.

The difference here is probably one of expectations. An EP is allowed to be a little indulgent in this way. When something is called an "album" I expect it to contain a number of different musical ideas, even if the album itself is quite short.

24. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Back in the day albums were typically 35-40 minutes. I like it better that way myself. Not to say that there are some good 60 minutes albums.

25. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Yes, Jeff Buckley was a great believer in there being an optimum album length of around 40 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.