New NYC record store

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by sethICE, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident Thread Starter

A new record store, Mainline Records, just opened a few days ago on 8th Street between 6th Ave. and MacDougal St (or between 6th and 5th Aves.) in Greenwich Village, NYC, in the same spot where the last Discorama store recently closed!!!

They have mostly vinyl LPs, both new and used, as well as a CD section, mostly used but some new items too.

Some of the staff (but not the owner) were previously at the late Other Music.

The logo on the front of the store is the Autobahn logo from German road signs and the Kraftwerk album of the same name....
    [​IMG]

2. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

What a great location! Electric Ladyland is around there, as was the late, unlamented Crazy Eddie's.

Ah, the 1970's...

3. sethICE

Yes, it's a few doors down from Electric Lady.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Can't even fathom what it must cost to rent a space around there.

black sheriff likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

same street as the now defunct Revolver Records and It's Only Rock and Roll Records...IIRC, it's been years!

6. sethICE

Not to mention the original location of Venus Records, even longer ago.

Hep Alien and Muzyck like this.
  7. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Vinyl at "Discorama" always sucked, pretty much just common domestic pressings often not even in great shape but usually at double and triple prices. I never seen anything rare or import there, never bought anything. Back in the 90's they were great with used CD's, probably almost half of my CD's bought there, but today I don't care for digital.

Let's hope the new store will have some cool LP's, at least in the beginning when stores usually trying to attract new customers, before they start putting anything cool, rare and import on eBay and Discogs like everybody else.

Hep Alien and ted321 like this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Decent store, nice group running it.

Hope they do well and can keep it going.

9. Great location! The road gets more musical.

10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Thanks to this thread, I popped in when I was in NYC to see Springsteen On Broadway.
    I was pleasantly surprised and scored some CD gems - including the long-OOP NRBQ
    anthology on Rhino.....for $15. Friendly staff. I wish them well.

Hep Alien and sethICE like this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I will check it out soon!

12. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Been there a couple of times. They mostly sell new albums and modern digitally sourced reissues which I personally don't care for. There are some used records but mostly pretty common stuff priced on the high side ($10 and up). Nothing rare and almost no imports which I figure means that they selling good stuff on the internet.

It seems just like another store who just joined the vinyl fad. Probably an OK store for some people who like modern stuff. A total waste of time if you after anything collectable.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  13. sethICE

Well, it appears this store is already closing this week. I don't think their business was too bad - I think they just had a short term sublease that ended up shorter than planned.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wow. That was quick - somebody had great dreams and no business plan?

15. sethICE

I don't know, but I can tell you that when I walked past there tonight at about 7 PM, they were already closed and had more or less the whole store packed in a van. The owner said it turned out to be sort of a pop-up store.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As in, "we don't relly have the money to afford this space, pop".

black sheriff likes this.
  17. sethICE

The real estate situation is idiotic. There are multiple vacant stores on this block (and most other blocks), yet stores keep closing because the rent is too high.

If only we had a President with a background in the commercial real estate business who could exercise some leadership and get his real estate brethren to do something about this.........

Who am I kidding?

18. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

After "Other Music" closed up in June 2016, the place remained vacant for more than a year. Apparently it's better for landlord not to get any money than to lower rent a little. Seems weird, but probably should be a reason for that. Now it's some coffee place. NYC needs more of stupid coffee places.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. sethICE

I agree, although Other Music didn't close because of a rent increase, according to the owners. I think they saw business decreasing and made a decision to close before they really started losing money.

The new business at the Other Music location is Broken Coconut, which does serve coffee, but also many other trendy foods for millenials (or Soul Cyclers), like "bowls", yogurt, matcha, kombucha, poke, smoothies, chia, etc. Presumable they are paying some pretty high rent.

You won't be seeing me there.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. sethICE

21. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Wow, that turned out to be the shortest duration I ever saw for a store. Visited a few times -- I work over on Hudson St., so they were just close enough to visit during a long lunch. They were a decent store, and I enjoyed talking to the owner(s). Anyway, I thought the store was a hundred more times more decent than what's left of Village record shopping.

I told a buddy about it and he visited once -- he thought the place was OK, but was pretty aghast at how desolate that part of 8th St is nowadays. The high-end blight that ruined the west end of Bleeker is travelling all over -- it's the new normal in places where I would never have expected it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You're wrong. It needs more banks and CVS-es.

black sheriff and Hep Alien like this.
  23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Fixed.

24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Had dinner with a friend not too long ago musing over what the use of even living in NYC is anymore. The turn over rate of venues, restaurants, bars and music shops, etc is so quick now. The Continental is on its way out.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I've gotta think that's the result of much of all the other likeminded lifestyle places in the area closing down/moving. No infrastructure to support freak life any more.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.