New Order- Power Corruption & Lies box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Oct 11, 2019.

1. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I always get excited regarding these Mega Super Deluxe Limited Special Edition boxes but life gets in the way and it takes years for me to finally dive in and once I do, it ends up being the only time I ever dive in.

2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The singles reissue series has been cool. Confusion is somehow the one I am missing an OG of, but I'm in for all of them.

PC&L is hands down my favorite NO album, one of my top 5 of all time most days.

I typically don't have an appetite for box sets with CD extras, but may have to make an exception for this one.

3. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

My bad. I see that now. I like the pink box even better! :D

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

After looking at the bundles on the Rhino UK site, I really would like the full deal with the 12” singles and the t-shirt, but I own all those 12” already too LOL. Maybe I’ll start playing the lottery...

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Guess I'm interested. Hope the mastering is good.

negative1 likes this.
  6. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

The mastering on movement was excellent,
    this one will be also.

later

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Cool, thanks! Haven't heard the remaster of Movement yet (must check it out soon).

negative1 and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. hutlock

Well, the bundle with the shirt disappears when you convert to USD, so I guess they won’t ship that to the United States?

9. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

The inclusion of vinyl in a primarily CD set never fails to annoy me. I'll wait for a price drop/deal again, because like Movement, this set is way too expensive for the contents.

10. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

New Order is one of my absolute favorite bands, but I never feel the need to get all of their scraps like I do with other favorites. I haven’t found much illuminating about their writing sessions/BBC recordings/etc. I will definitely listen to this when I can stream it and maybe buy later if I can find a cheap box. I have originals of the album and all the singles so there’s not much to entice me though.

c-eling likes this.
  11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

That said, if this box has a version of Blue Monday similar to the arrangement in the writing scene of 24 Hour Party People, I will buy this immediately

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Apart from the mastering on Movement, I really enjoyed the box- I'll grab this one as well. Will skip the single's. :)
    So what were the previous remaster's from?

13. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

That's odd. I ordered the bundle, minus the shirt, and everything went through just fine...

Maybe the shirt has a zoning/classification restriction and is causing the whole thing to be restricted?!:laugh:

Hope it comes through for you, though! Were you ordering from the New Order link?

14. hutlock

Yeah it’s weird! The bundle with the shirt goes away, but the one with all the vinyl including the 12” stays there?! So it honestly must be the shirt!

15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So the mastering on Movement was excellent, or not enjoyable?

Confused :)

Dave 81828384 and c-eling like this.
  16. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

unless there’s something very “premium quality” about that shirt, it’s easily found for cheap on amazon or their merch distro websites. it looks like the printed tag might be specific to this release but otherwise...

hutlock likes this.
  17. c-eling

Neg is quite a bit more forgiving than I when it comes to modern compressed remaster's :winkgrin:
    I'm only talking about the album itself. These boxes are great for the extra's they contain, I'm sure most of us already have excellent sounding oldie's, especially for PC&L. :)

negative1 likes this.
  18. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

I'm still enjoying the Movement box set, so I was straight on and ordered this. PC&L is my favourite New Order record, and one of my best records from anyone, so delighted to finally get this released.

What with this, the Mansun box and the Goats Head Soup reissue, it's been an expensive few weeks. If Bowie Box No5 appears in the next wee while, I may need to take up robbing banks.

19. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

negative 1 is positive and Cory is negative :confused:

:laugh:

negative1, jamesc, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  20. c-eling

:laugh: Nice one Dave!
    Hey he did steer me right with that Thompson Twins 2 disc remix set!

negative1, JeffMo and Dave 81828384 like this.
  21. barnabyjames1

barnabyjames1 Forum Resident

My all time favorite NO records are Movement & Technique. I would say Substance, but thats a compilation.

NunoBento likes this.
  22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

As it is, they struggle to fill albums with enough decent songs, and were never the greatest live band. I also have the vinyl album and all the 12 inch singles that were released at the time (all original Factory pressings). Don't need anything else.

moj and ghoulsurgery like this.
  23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I can't see any filler on Power, Corruption & Lies, Lowlife or Technique?

Live, I think 'inconsistent' is the best word. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes awful.

negative1, jamesc, JeffMo and 3 others like this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Well 586 is close to a re-write of Blue Monday, and although it's a good album it only has 8 songs, some extended longer than they merit. Credit to them for not putting singles on albums at that time, but it left them a bit short I feel. It's not necessarily filler I am talking about but a paucity of ideas especially lyrically that resulted in a lack of consistent album length statements. They never made a truly great album, unlike their previous band that made 2. A lot of great singles though.

moj likes this.
  25. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Turn the heater on.... greatest cover version of all time.

Fruff76, Echo and c-eling like this.