New Orleans record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tgreg, Dec 18, 2021.

1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Euclid has been the single best vinyl record store in NOLA. I don’t know what a second is. But I do know that Peaches is by far the worst in terms of pricing. One dollar Barbra Streisand records for $20. Give me a break.

2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ll be in New Orleans next month for a work trip. Do these recommendations still stand? Anything closer to the central business district/French quarter would be best.

3. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

The recommendations still stand. Louisiana Music Factory is a favorite of mine as is Euclid in the bywater an that’s right outside the French Quarter. I’ve heard good things about Domino Sound but I’ve never been there (and it would be a little out of your way).

CBackley likes this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks!

5. fendersrule

fendersrule Sixty-minute man

A slight dissenting voice, but probably mostly agreed with previous comments. Just visited New Orleans. I’m a big jazz guy, but am trying to fill some holes in my rock collection.

Euclid is the biggest store in NO. The pure quantity of used records is staggering. It took me 20-30 minutes to flip through all the jazz, and I’m a fast flipper. Highly recommended. Its biggest problem is the condition of records as I had to pass on 5-8 records that I really wanted. Also, I don’t agree they are superbly priced. I felt some things were priced a bit all over the place from “decent” to “not great”, especially given the condition. For example, jimmy smith blue notes that IMO wouldn’t even pass for G+ condition are $30. My local record store in Idaho would put those in the dollar bin. All in all, definitely visit as there’s something to find for everyone here.

If you’re going to Euclid, might as well go to Louisiana music factory. I couldn’t find anything because condition of records were a problem here. Prices are reasonable. While not super uncommon, I don’t like it when places require assistance to inspect records. With this place, anything over $10 requires you to get someone to open them. I had about 4 records in my hand, and most of them did not pass condition wise for me. A couple of them were not the presses I was looking for. Good store though.

Domino Sound is easily one of the best stores in Nola. Pricing is very competitive. The curated collection is good. A jimmy smith blue note in G+ was $8 here, and would have been $30 at Euclid. I got a really nice copy of Queen Live Killers for $15. Incredible world music collection here.

No Pulp was a hidden gem for me. Prices are reasonable and found some things. Third floor above a Library. Definitely make a visit.

Sisters in Christ is worthy of a visit as well. Tons of indie stuff, with a small jazz and rock portion. I had to put a couple things back due to condition not being up to snuff.

Nola Mix I felt didn’t have great prices and not a whole lot to dig through jazz-wise but worth stopping by if you have time. I felt like many things were +$5-7 over what they usually see stuff going for.

Mushroom (head shop) would be a place I’d stop by more if I was local. They had an incredible assortment of NM 80s hair metal. Not a big selection, but prices were good and probably where a bunch of college kids go to drop off their records. They’re the only record store there that opens late.

jeeze, what else? White Roach was the biggest let down—couldn’t find anything and they didn’t have much to go through.

I skipped peaches cuz everyone says to skip it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    chahooa and Daddy-O4 like this.
  6. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Fantastic and thorough write up - thank you! Quick follow up….. To the best of your recollection, which of these stores would you recommend for used CD’s?

7. fendersrule

Louisiana Music Factory definitely had lots of space devoted to CDs. I don’t recall seeing CDs much anywhere else. Maybe Euclid.

8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

$30 for trashed Jimmy Smith Blue Note albums. Yikes. Hate to think what a trashed Meet The Beatles is priced at.

9. fendersrule

Yeah. In-fact, Euclid had 3 copies of the same vintage Smith album, which tells me I’m not the only one that thinks the price is too hot.

New Orleans was the only place I’ve visited so far where I find the record conditions to be pretty sus.

10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Been there a few times but not in years.....beat record album capitol of the world, high humidity damage too.....always was high priced. Lots of old jazz, however; beat to a pulp.

fendersrule likes this.
  11. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I’m getting to New Orleans today - I’m excited to see a few of these shops.

12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You won't be.....but the food is nice and the locals are nice people.

13. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

This is the one I hit when there recently:

NOLA MIX Records

Small store, decent pricing, nice folks.