New Otis Redding "The Definitive Studio Album Collection" Vinyl Box Set! (MONO)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Me too & the only Sundazed I have multiple John Mayall & Albert King records.

2. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

I lucked out and actually saw this in my local store when I was out earlier today so bought it, rather than wait for Amazon. So far I have only listened to Pain in My Heart. It sounds really great, hard to believe it’s 53 or so years old. Given what Chemguy and Scotti have said I can’t wait to hear the rest of this box. I’d also concur on the pressings... they look fabulous.

scotti and chacha like this.
  3. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

No problems, so far, with my set either...Have played the first 4

This is how multi-album sets can be done for a fair price. Amazon UK price about £10 per disc which is just right for me

And I know some might disagree, but I'm kind of glad there's no book, or download code, or flipback sleeves, pushing up the price...Just lovely pressings in nice (but not overdone) sleeves, with a functional slipcase...Now bring on Aretha :)

4. Munros1969

Spot on, this set shows what’s possible. Compare this set to the similarly-priced recent Hotel California 40th Edition... big, big difference in value for money.

scotti and johnnybrum like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Here is my A to B comparison of the Sundazed Mono 180 G of The Soul Album and the new Rhino box version...

First, I feel Sundazed does a decent job with vinyl (nothing spectacular, but still good), a big step up from say Friday Music. Example, I have Spirit's - 12 Dreams from them and pretty happy with the sound and packaging.

Sundazed version - 180G, and nice and flat. No where near as quiet as the new Rhino version, but not real bad, just some surface noise and a slight crackle here and there. Vocals seem on the bright side, with the instrumentation a bit muddy at times.
    Not bad, but if I had to grade this...performance - 11, Sound - 6.5

New Rhino version - Vocals, much warmer, with the instrumentation much more defined/tighter, allowing the music to open up and breathe better! Pretty much night and day in regards to all aspects and a heck of a lot cleaner...performance - 11...Sound - 10

I am fortunate to have a pure analogue - mono switch on my pre-amp, allowing me to experience the mono sound almost as close as having a mono cartridge set up. So this helped me with a true comparison if you will.

And I can't disagree with "johnnybrum" at all in regards to keeping the cost down, not having a book, and who the heck would want download cards of a release like this, but that's just me. Heck, I bought the Beatles mono vinyl box on street and still have not opened the cool book that came with it...too busy listening to music!

Conclusion - Not even close, New Rhino box version smokes it big time! I also say, bring on Aretha, bookends would be so nice, and all I have are the original vinyl in Stereo, not glorious Mono.

Just a couple of call outs, I noticed on the back of some of the covers it reads - wwwotisredding.com (remember Rhino stated the covers were completely authentic) this does not bother me, just find it interesting, could have had that on the box and left off the covers...also, albums come bare, which is fine, as I put 3 mil outer sleeves on them and will just leave them out of the box, as it seems to make the box a little too snug for my likes (left the original shrink on box) having added the nice inner and outer sleeves. All good though!

6. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Is it safe to assume that since there is no indication that these are AAA pressings that they are, indeed, pressed from digital files?

seaisletim likes this.
  7. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

There’s no way these are AAA. The modest price point is exhibit A, so to speak.

I’m enjoying the heck out of my box here in scenic southern New Jersey. It’s the only thing getting spins outside of Christmas music.

This box and the Ray Charles box are proof that these things can be done well and sell <$100. Great sets; here’s another anticipatory call for Aretha to be done the same way!

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sure would appear that way, said earlier that if these were pure analog, I believe it would have been called out on the hype sticker and the solicitation sell sheet...I wonder if different sources were used on different albums though? Heck, I read that even Fremer has a hard time telling the diff on certain releases if the digital process is done properly, not compressed and such...

9. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

If it sounds good, it sounds good, right?

I just pulled the trigger on Amazon as they got a little more stock in at $86 which is a no brainer for 7 records. Plus, using some of my credit card earnings, it only cost me $36 which, duh!

seaisletim and scotti like this.
  10. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Has anyone figured out what’s not on the box but was released in his lifetime? Not the posthumous collections but single songs like I Can’t Turn You Loose?

12. dfunghi

dfunghi Active Member

Great info and reviews. I own a couple of the Sundazed and find them quite rich, maybe it is my ears or maybe I just have low expectations? As to the crackle, it is 98% gone after a good washing. Many new LPs (other than most from QRP) require a decent wash IMO to remove subtle noise.

The Rhino stuff I have bought in the past couple years was so "RINO" sounding and much like a CD on Vinyl. So much so I hesitate to buy any more from them which is why I was so interested in this box set's reviews.

Looks like there is a UK / EU pressing on Amazon UK (although the price has risen) that is worth me grabbing to see (hear) fro myself.

I will concur that keeping cost down by limiting ephemera is nice unless that ephemera really adds something to the package.

Merry Happy all,
    D

13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Finally got this. The records sound great, but the sleeves are cheaply done. Worse, the reproduction on the sleeve of Otis Blue is shamefully poor.

14. Munros1969

I thought that too, especially Otis Blue when I pulled out the reissue I’d got a year or so back.

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There is only one version of this box set, EU, that's the one we get in the US as well...for the price I paid, I do not think the covers are that bad, all about the sound and final cost...would I have paid another $50 or so for a nice book and better covers, yes, but took the savings and bought other vinyl...

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just make sure you research before you buy. Just bought T. Rex - Electric Warrior Rocktober 2017 version and the sound is excellent! Much better than my original copy. I try and stay away from the colored, splattered and stick with standard black and make sure analog when possible. There are so many reissues flying at us these days, you have to be careful, last thing I want is vinyl sounding like the CD version of a particular album, so I am with you there!

I am very picky when it comes to the sound of vinyl, and I can promise you that if you get a good copy of the Otis box, you should be more than happy with the sound. Just fired up "Pain In My Heart" again last night and was very pleased!

17. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

18. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

$115 with free shipping = Ordered...

19. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Newscot likes this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I wanted to come back and give a little more feedback on this set. I recently just got the John Coltrane Atlantic mono vinyl box set and the difference in the packaging is almost night and day. The JC box has a cloth type texture, with the album covers all nicely done to much better replicate the originals unlike the cheaper copy style on the Otis box. The JC box also comes with a nice booklet with info/pictures and the vinyl sounds fantastic. Both box sets released by Rhino/ Atlantic.

Now I realize the JC box costs a little more, paid $100 for mine, but I would have gladly paid the extra coin for a nicer done Otis box. I also realize this was released during the holidays and they went after more sales. Maybe their logic is that the Jazz consumer might be more demanding in quality, but what do I know.

With that said, I am still very satisfied with the Otis box, with the over all sound on all of the records at an 8.5 IMO...its just that when I purchase a box set from one of my favorite artists, I expect them to be done better than the way they did the Otis Redding...

stinsojd and Tuck1977 like this.
  21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have not bothered with the Otis box as I have most of these in original. I purchased Coltrane Giant Steps from box and was very impressed with the sleeve reproduction & Sound.

scotti likes this.
  22. Gregory Ward

Gregory Ward New Member

Not a deal breaker, but the Happy Song isn't on this boxed set?

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

24. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Loving this box! Great value, get it while you can :tiphat:

johnnybrum, scotti and Turbo2k like this.