New Parasound JC 5 Power Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

It’s not the sound signature, but the ability to balance the sub that seems to be better. Of course, balancing a sub properly is very subjective.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

That's the first time I ever heard or read that... interesting. I always looked at it as an option, like SandAndGlass said -- different, not necessarily better....

My current subs don't even have speaker level inputs, many sub makers stopped putting them on there because a lot of people weren't using them. For instance the SVS SB-1000 has them, but the SB-2000 doesn't. The Klipsch r-112sw I have in another HT system doesn't have them either.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

Assume your using the P5 for HT bypass in addition to 2-channel, or not? If so, do you use you subs on 2-channel too?

4. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

HT system is ONKYO Avr plus Polk surround, and B&W center channel speakers with a BIC sub. Totally different area of house from main 2 channel only stereo system. And no subs connected to the P5.

5. TheVinylAddict

Ah, so the JC2 would be a drop in!!! None of the "complications" I have! :)

Have you placed the order yet??? :D:cool::angel:

6. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Lol. Yes it would drop in. Heck I’m not even using the digital inputs for my CD player on the P5. And the headphone input is quite useless as well. Won’t miss any of that. But I do occasionally like to goose the bass a tad at low volume. I have a feeling tho that with the JC2 I won’t need that small amount of extra bass enhancing.

As far as the JC3 + yes I did expect an improvement over the phono board of the P5. But not ever having heard an audiophile approved stage I wasn’t fully sure what improvements I might hear. And seeing as how I only have about 4 hours on the replacement JC3 I still am in for more sonic surprises as she settles in.
    The other day I got three Thad Jones-Mel Lewis orchestra records in mint shape and they are simply bubbling with life. The air around and the sheer force of the horn section blasts are breathtaking and frightening at times. I can’t tell if it’s the echos bouncing off the recording venue walls or if it’s added reverb but these albums display generous portions of it. Lewis’s drums are well centered with the cymbals reaching far left and right in the mix. The drums are also audibly situated to the rear of the ensemble. Incredible stuff even at this stage.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

We think alike on the bass at low volume, although like you I'd have to try it first sans bass --- with my newer speakers with 13" woofers, I wonder if I will need bass support!!! The JC2 might be enough... heck, should be, right?
    The more I look into the JC3+ and how it's built, and hear feedback from owners, the more tempted I get.
    What's that? How does one get that approval? Do you have to pay for it? Is there a list somewhere showing what's not approved??? :D:D:cool::cool:

Pythonman likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have two subs and use the RCA's without any problem. Ever system set-up is different every sub is different and every room is different.

TheVinylAddict and Pythonman like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

I have a HT system and a stereo system, They both make use of the same components, with the exception of the center channel amp and speaker.

I use a processor based system for a few reasons.

First, it allows me to use what ever amplifier's and speakers that I want to use. I'm not locked into a AVR (which is fine for some)

Second, my amps are not modern technology dependent. The only components that really are are the DAC and processor. My DAC is in my integrated, which acts as a central point of control for all of the individual systems in the room, which play independently off of the same source. It was the first piece of gear and I bought it back in 2011. I still have the option to add an external DAC on to the system, anytime I wish to.

My processor feeds into the integrated to run the front mains. When I decided to upgrade to 4k, the TV was upgraded, the Oppo was upgraded and the processor was upgraded, but all of the other gear remains the same.

Here is my commercial, passive horn loaded sub, which I use for both HT and stereo.

[​IMG]

The LFE channel leads to a Crown XTi-2000, which is running in bridged mono and can deliver 1,600-Watts, going in to this Yorkville UCS-1. The UCS-1 can deliver a SPL of 133 dB continuous program material.

Now the sub is run by the processor's bass management feature which takes LF information that is going to any speaker in the system and send all information that is at 40-Hz. and below to the LFE channel, along with any LFE that may be naturally present. This information is filtered electronically at 24/dB per-octave.

Now here is the key to incorporating this a sub in a stereo system. Very simple. I take the preamp output of the integrated amp. and bring it into an unused input on the processor. When I am running the stereo only, I simply select that processor channel, and everything that is at 40-Hz. or below, will be sent out to the sub, through the LFE channel.

That is all there is to it.

Another benefit is, the Crown is a commercial amplifier. I have its volume set to maximum and it sits in a 19" audio rack behind the TV. I am now able to control the volume level of the sub, via the processor's remote control and mute it anytime I wish or remotely cut the power to it altogether.

This is all done with RCA line level connections.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

Thanks for sharing the details of your system. Always good to hear how others have done it.... that is interesting.

My main system shares one set of mains and two subs for both Movies / TV and 2-channel music. It uses the P5 Parasound preamp with HT bypass --- it manages the subs via the P5, it has full sub filtering, tone controls, etc. Note the AVR main and sub preouts go directly into the P5, and then into the amp / subs directly from the P5. In this system, all subs are wired via line level RCA, one cable to each sub in LFE. (note the JC2 has HT bypass - but just for mains, not for sub integration / management like the P5 - hence the discussion with Python on that, not sure if you are aware). Note also both my subs in my main room don't even have speaker level inputs --- the set I replaced did a few years back.

In my wood shop I have a ten inch sub - same thing, line level RCA / LFE port - one cable. AVR sub out via RCA to LFE in.

In my sons' / wife's HT / music / gaming set up, I have an older 15" Def Tech Powerfield that has both speaker and line level inputs -- but again use RCA. I recall using the speaker inputs on my sub years ago out of necessity due to the vintage integrated not having enough pre-outs, but RCA due to availability, convenience --- and I've never heard that the speaker inputs were "better" on a sub.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

First off, I think that it far easier, if nothing else to run dedicated RCA cables or a Balanced cable to a sub (if it is actively powered). All of those subs that I see with those rear "plate" amplifier's have those despicable, cheep spring type connectors, which I "LOATH" I don't have them on any of my gear with a 20-Watt Lepai amplifier, which I use on occasion to power my light organ.

My old vintage stuff has screw terminals which I use with terminal lugs.

Neither do I own nor would I buy any gear that would force me to use those spring type connectors. While they are on some subs that I own or have owned, I am not forced to use them.

I move gear around all the time. That is why I use banana plugs in all my gear, amps and speakers, with exception of the vintage stuff, which I am not really using right now. I did plan of buying some spade to banana plug adapters for the vintage stuff too, but no hurry on that.

I can't possible see having to run speaker cables to the sub and then from the sub to the speakers? what if I decide to move either of them around? What a pain! It is just something I think is kludgy (as in "awkwardly or inelegantly made or done").

Running a wire from a power amp to the sub will impart the SS of the power amp to the sub. Unless you are running a sub that is manufactured by and is designed to be specifically used with a pair of speakers by that same manufacturer, A sub has no sonic correlation to the speakers and the sound signature of the power amplifier has no particular importance as to making the sub sound the same as the speakers. The speakers and the sub are two entirely different pieces of equipment and serving both of them from the same power amplifier signal has no particular significance in the scheme of things.

There is no harm in connecting a sub this way. If this is someone's preferred method, that is fine.

I think that the synergy between the power amplifier and the speakers is all important. But, that "synergy" does not match any synergy to the sub.

By taking a signal that is closest to the source, i.e. the preamp signal, it is the cleanest and most accurate representation of the full range signal. So that is what I am feeding into the sub. Now, I am free to convert the signal from analog to digital and work with it how ever I please in the digital realm, control the crossover point precisely and the crossover slope with electronic precision and not just be limited to the characteristics of a cheap A$$ plate amplifier's crossover. But then again, I have chosen to use a passive crossover, where I can choose the power amplifier of of choice and other sub-bass signal processing of my choosing.

This affords me a lot of precision control to seamlessly match the sub-woofer to the main speakers, because each system is completely independent of the other.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  12. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Getting back to the JC5 amp, has anyone purchased this amp? I am close to pulling the trigger on this one and I wanted to get some opinions.

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I'm getting ready to bring in a demo unit. I've not heard one in person yet, but my Parasound rep is raving about how good it is.

14. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Yes, and if you could indicate what speakers are you using it with? According to Parasounds' specs their current capacity is 90 amperes peak (down from 135 on the JC1).

15. Standingstones

I am using the Opera Loudspeaker Secondas which are rated at 4 ohms and 89db I believe.

16. Standingstones

A pair of JC1s are $9000 a pair and the JC5 is $6000 so I don’t feel the comparison is quite valid.

17. kenbefound

I wouldn't make the comparison if Parasound didn't market the JC5 that way. Part of their sales pitch is you get the performance of two JC1's for $3K less with the JC5.

18. Standingstones

Are you plan on purchasing the JC5? If not, why worry about it.

19. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Ken

Perhaps 2/3’s the amperes for 2/3’s the price. I haven’t read any sales pitch saying you get the equivalent of JC-‘s. What I’ve read is JC-1 like quality at less power and in a more compact form with a smaller power supply. For most of us, significantly more than we’ll ever need. I’m going to give it a listen at my local dealer.

Standingstones likes this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

21. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

It's all so good!

[​IMG]

22. kenbefound

Fair enough, look forward to learning what you heard.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  23. kenbefound

Sweet!!! Is that amp the JC5? your profile indicates A21. Also, does the JC2 have a built in phono-amp or is that a JC3 on your rack?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  24. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Ken, I have had my eye on the JC5, but because it is so darn expensive, I have not pulled the trigger yet. I do have the A21 and have been completely happy with it's performance, and am not sure the JC 5 needs to replace it right now. The preamp is the JC-2 BP and the phono stage is the JC-3+. I always encourage people to purchase Parasound HALO equipment as it just lasts forever, at least for me it does, and their service is second to none. :righton:

kenbefound and mreeter like this.
  25. Standingstones

I ordered the JC5 this morning. I am hoping that within a week or so I should have it in my possession.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.