New Parasound JC 5 Power Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I picked up my new Parasound JC5 amp yesterday. It was replacing a Parasound A51. When I finally installed the amp into my rack I turned on my McIntosh C52 preamp. As it was set to 'Tuner', I powered up my tuner for my first listen.

I could tell that there was a much quieter backround to the music. This also showed up on the Internet radio stations that I listen to. The whole amp speaks of a higher quality than the usual Halo line. I guess it should for the price of the JC5.

The main problem is that my leg and back muscles are aching something fierce. I told my wife that this will be my last large purchase for some time.

2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Just want you to know, if that backache continues, I have an A-21 that would be much easier on your back and we can do some horse trading!!! Oh yes! :yikes:

[​IMG]

3. Standingstones

I previously owned the A21 and the JC5 has it beaten by a country mile.

mreeter and Pythonman like this.
  4. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Does it beat it like a red headed stepchild?

5. Litejazz53

[​IMG]
    Wait a minute here, that gap might not be so large, because you are not using a Parasound family member to draw the sweet savory honey out of your JC 5 as I am with my meager Parasound A21! You see, my pre-amplifier is the Parasound HALO JC 2 BP, and that pre-amp speaks softly and sweetly to my little A-21, and it responds to a family member with a sweet, open and airy presentation. I'm all about matching components up as much as possible. For the JC-5, the Mac could be viewed as a stepchild, oh my! I think you would move into your sweet spot with a nice new Mac MC 462, oh my, so sweet, a true pride of ownership piece.:shh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Pythonman likes this.
  6. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Is that one of those new fangled rekkerd players on top? Seriously, that's a sweet setup. I'd love to partner that preamp with my A21!

56GoldTop likes this.
  7. Litejazz53

It is a couple made in heaven! But, there is no doubt, I would be in high cotton with the JC-5, maybe when Standingstones gets tired of lifting his, and moving it around, he will be ready for something lighter, and I can help him move it out of his home. :winkgrin:

Pythonman likes this.
  8. Budunka

Budunka Forum Resident

Found this thread while looking at reviews on the JC-5. I have an A21/JC-2 setup and it works great for me. But sometimes you just can't get the upgrade bug out of your head!! I am a Parasound devotee for sure. Quality sound and construction with great customer service too. Bought my units from Audio Advisor a few years back and have no regrets on spending the money on the JC-2.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  9. Well, my wife is gorgeous, incredibly smart, and the most considerate person you'll ever meet, with beautiful red hair and a very nice stepfather. My point being is that no one would ever think of beating her. That, and if you tried, she’d rip you to shreds!

Pythonman and BayouTiger like this.
  10. Sluggs

Sluggs Well-Known Member

Thinking about trading a fairly new mc 275 for one. It would go between my mc 2600 and a pair of dynaudio contour 60s. Like the idea of a tube ore-amp through solid state amp. Thoughts>

11. The only thing wrong with the setup is the Fox News logo! :laugh:

12. Standingstones

Do it!

13. Sluggs

Sluggs Well-Known Member

Tell me why, standingstones? My only concerns about my mc 275 are:
    1 Not enough power
    2. Changing tubes
    3. May create an every mellow/rich sound and lack upfront distortion for Ozzy and Jimi

14. Standingstones

1. More power from the JC5
    2. JC5 is solid state. No changing tubes.
    3. Only your ears can tell you what you like. You need to
    preview the Parasound if you can.

BayouTiger likes this.
  15. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Just described my wife, except she wouldn’t rip anyone to shreds, she’s way too good a shot to have to rip anyone! She’s into racing fast cars and shooting big guns, if She got into audio, there’s no way I could afford her!

mreeter likes this.
  16. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I guess I'm so used to seeing that logo here at home it seemed normal thank you!

17. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Only sad thing is that after sending an email to Parasound, a Mr. Jackson?, replied telling me there were no current plans to "upgrade" the JC 2 BP to something that would "match" the JC 5. So, I guess for now, it's keep the JC 2 BP or get the P 6 (for aesthetic reasons / gold pin-striping). I thought for sure they would be thinking about a JC "4" BP or something like that...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  18. Standingstones

By my count Parasound is upgrading 5 of the Halo line of products. It seems you just missed out on the product you wanted.

19. Litejazz53

Oh my, now they have upgraded the great amp I now own, the A21 to the A21+, what to do, what to do, so nice!! But hey, I do miss the beautiful red illumination at the top!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

56GoldTop likes this.
  20. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I agree. I like the red illuminated "P". I may be getting an arguably better preamp in the P 6 (over a P 5) but it will not match my A 23. :sigh: And, so I would have to get the JC 5 and then I'll be longing for an aesthetic match for it which is the equivalent or "upgraded" version of the JC 2. This is so difficult. They need to just make what I want, when I want them to make it. :D

Litejazz53 likes this.
  21. Litejazz53

I know this is CRAZY, but I really do think they should have left the light on their product, it looks nice, and obviously matches the JC 2 BP. :evil:

56GoldTop likes this.
  22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Wait a minute... I thought that was a photoshop. :laugh: There is a "+" series. Why don't they just give the JC 2 BP a facelift so those that want to be matchy, matchy... can (even though I still prefer the red)?

23. Litejazz53

You know, it's always tough on us audio nuts when we purchase an expensive piece and it gets changed in a year or two. So, I have decided to wait until Parasound introduces the new and improved A25 Megadon!:nauga:

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:laugh: :D Perfect...

LONG LIVE THE MEGADON!!

25. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

could you please expound on the differences? Beaten by a country mile, smokes, destroys, anhiliates are cute adjectives, but don't have a lot of value in describing the improvement. Are your speakers power hungry? Were they lacking in bass? What was the improvement? I am curious as I also own an A21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.