New Parasound Zphono.XRM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, Dec 17, 2018.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else notice the new Parasound Zphono.xrm phono stage on Parasound's website? Looks like a pretty neat piece:

Model > Parasound Z > Zphono XRM « Parasound

-balanced outs
    -mono/stereo switch
    -rumble filter

Priced at $595.

2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I like the USB level adjustment knob too. This may make it easier and quicker to adjust levels on the Parasound than on the computer.

3. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

You are thinking of a different model. This one does not have USB.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Looks like a great value. I wish my JC3 Jr had this much flexibility/adjustment.

Wasabi, SandAndGlass and punkmusick like this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Like the stereo/mono switch. Everyone needs to start including these.

Don't like the generic 40db gain setting for MM. If they are going to do that, they need to say what the overload spec is and it had better be very generous.

Also don't like that the rumble filter cuts off at 40hz. Why not make it cut at 20hz?

MSRP also seems high.

6. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

It has more parts in it than some phone pres costing 2-3X more. Not that more parts = better sound but at least it looks to be a good value.

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

If I understand correctly the philosophy of Parasound, the less features the better the signal. This is why the original JC3 didn't have multiple gain/load settings and filter. Then they add features in the less expensive phonos keeping the more expensive ones cleaner. Am I making any sense?

DaveWin likes this.
  8. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yeah, kinda high but maybe is a 6 dB per octave and not so intrusive on the hearable lower frequencies?

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No idea. If the rumble filter is too heavy handed I could see it being a problem with folks that run subs. I don't run a sub, so it wouldn't be a problem for me necessarily, but I see other things I don't like about this unit.

10. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

This looks really nice but I'd agree an 18dB/oct high-pass at 40Hz is really unusual. It's filtering more than rumble at that point. Never having designed a phono stage myself, wondering what the rationale was.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I just saw it is 18 dB per octave. No reason to waste the useable bass down there in a rumble filter. When you engage that filter, you will definitely notice it!

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

I was referring most to its range of MC impedance. The Jr tops out at 500Ω, unless you count the 47kΩ setting. It's just odd that they don't offer 1kΩ with their upper tier models.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

John Curl didn't want any range and that's why it is fixed at 100 or 47k in the original JC3, to avoid any possible noise. Here's the story:
    Parasound's New JC3+ MM/MC Phono Preamplifier Offers Feature and Sound Refinement

Helom likes this.
  14. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Anyone get a hold of one of these yet? It does have a lot of features but how does it sound compared to the other $600ish phono preamps out there? The combo of it and a Zpre3 preamp might fit my needs in my den setup.

15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Looks nice .. I wonder if it is a true step up from the old Zphono which has a much better MM 46 dB gain. 40 is quite low imo especially with those of us that have lower output carts like the DL-110...

16. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I've been following this unit as well. I have two turntables with three tonearms, and I do not have a lot of money for good phono stages, and this one has my interest.

The unit I'd really like to own is the Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline XR-10B phono preamp with three inputs, but it sells for $4500. I already own a Emmeline F-117 Nighthawk phono stage (which I bought used for $450US), so I'm sure the XR-10B is a great sounding component. I just can't swing that price.

So yeah, I think the Zphono XRM has a very good feature set for its $600US price.

Pet peeve: I sure wish they'd put the adjustment pot and gain switch in the front of the unit. It sure looks like they have plenty of space in the front of the chassis to do that. Oh well, can't win them all.

russk and MikeJedi like this.
  17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Looks nice. Hopefully someone that bought a unit can chime in how good it is... I did notice it has a 50db setting for MM as well. Wondering how well it would work with my High output MC Dl-110. The 40 db setting would be a non starter ...

18. jwglista

jwglista Well-Known Member

Hello all, this is my first post here on the forum. I've been active in the past over at Audiogon and Head-Fi.

I just received a new ZPhono XRM 2 days ago on Friday and have been breaking it in non stop since then. It's been plugged in and turned on for a solid 48 hours now, with maybe 10-15 hours of actual play time.

Some of my associated gear so you get an idea of where I am coming from: Rogue Cronus Magnum II Integrated, Harbeth Compact 7es-3 speakers, JL Audio Dominion 108 subwoofer, VPI Prime Scout, Denon DL-301 MKii, Denon DL-110, PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

My preferences in sound lean towards rich, lush, strong harmonic detail, smooth, musical, etc. My previous phono pre is a Vincent PHO-8 which I've had for several years now. The Vincent has a warmer sound signature and sounded great with my DL-110, but left me wanting more after I got my DL-301 MKii. The set loading of 100 ohms on the Vincent had me wondering if I could extract more out of the DL-301, so I decided to try out the ZPhono XRM. I was mainly drawn in by its variable load setting, thinking I could set loading to exactly 10x the internal impedance of the 301, whicch is 33 ohms.

Take these comments with a grain of salt as the burn-in process isn't 100% complete, but I am sad to report that as of now I am not too fond of the XRM. As I stated previously, my preferences are for a lush, warm, rich sound. The XRM is on the complete opposite end of that spectrum (which many people may like). To me the sound is dynamic, clean, detailed, with a better noise floor than the Vincent. Bass is tight and deep. It portrays a great sense of rhythm. Different elements within the mix are delineated and able to be picked out. Imaging is decent. Soundstage could be a bit wider, but this could be a fault of the 301 (I noticed the 110 had a much wider soundstage). On the negative side, the sound to me is too analytical, cold, and sometimes mechanical sounding. It seems they have voiced this unit to emphasize transient attack and detail at the cost of richness. What I don't understand is that supposedly this unit has entirely separate circuitry for the MM and MC stages. I could see implementing this type of voicing for the MM stage, due to a lot of budget MM carts having a softer, rolled off sound, but to do that for the MC stage doesn't make sense to me. I have since backed down the loading to 100 so that it's equal to the Vincent so I am comparing apples to apples, but even loading the 301 at 100 ohms, the sound does not have that midrange magic that I was hearing before on both the 110 and 301 with the Vincent.

Don't get me wrong, there are moments where I am listening and think "wow this sounds really good", but since the main thing I always listen for is harmonic richness and texture, when this is missing from the music, I simply can't connect with it.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions about it and I will try to answer.

19. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Have you heard any improvement now that it's got more hours on it?

20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Any more reviews of this unit out there ?

21. jwglista

jwglista Well-Known Member

It did not get that much better with burn in. I sent it back several weeks ago.

Dan Steele and efhjr like this.
  22. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I run the DL-110 into 50 dB. Sounds great.

Dan Steele and MikeJedi like this.
  23. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I wonder how this unit sounds with a MM cart or a high output MC like my dl-110. It must be somewhat of an upgrade to the regular Zphono ?

24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Anyone else can chime in with the XRM? It seems the only true upgrade so far for my beloved Zphono is going to be the JC3 Jr as I have not seen too many favorable reviews for this unit. At least not yet,,,,,,,

Dan Steele likes this.
  25. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

ka-bumped...

MikeJedi likes this.