New Parasound Zphono.XRM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Wow... so only one person has heard the ZPhono XRM? Bummer. :sigh:

MikeJedi likes this.
  2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've heard them...... I did not spend a ton of time with the older Zphono as I just signed on as Parasound dealer last year. But from what I can remember of the original, it's at least as good sound wise as it was (and likely a touch better overall). Add in the extra features, and I think the XRM is really a pretty nice stage at it's price point.

MikeJedi and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I run DL-110 into 50 dB on a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS - sounds great.

MikeJedi likes this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Cool. Thanks ! Is the sound signature pretty similar would you say with a little something extra from the Zphono to the XRM ? I really like the Zphono sound signature so if it is the same with the XRM with some nice extra something added that sounds real good !!!

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Can't speak for the XRM but the JC3 Jr mostly retains the Z-Phono sound, just with lower noise floor, larger soundstage and more detail. Parasound gear has always sounded very neutral to my ears. Their preamps have a claimed RIAA accuracy of 0.2 db and I believe it.

There are lusher/warmer stages out there but I really question the accuracy of their EQ curves. IMO, the job of any SS preamp, whether line-level or phono, is to impart as little character on the sound as possible, to be as flat as possible. That's mostly what one gets with Parasound products. The inherent properties of the vinyl medium are supposed to make it more harmonic/lusher/warmer than digital. If it's not, the problem lies somewhere in the turntable/cartridge synergy and setup, IME.

CLaytonpd, Sterling1 and dman23 like this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

Yes, this is pretty much how I would describe it.

GurraG and MikeJedi like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Wow, that actually looks like a lot for $595!! Even though it was smart for Parasound to hit this price point (which btw is probably the price point where MOST stages are sold) --- this is no doubt going to drag some of the sales away from the JC3 Jr.... a side by side in MM mode with the Jr would be interesting.

8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, it does seem like a lot of value at that price. Looks pretty complicated inside for a phono preamp, lot of parts, all through hole too, and I count 8 opamps, most of them dual packages, that's a lot of circuitry if you think about what is in each of those IC packages. Of course, if it sounds good and provides the flexibility one wants, that's all that matters ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Dan Steele likes this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

That is not a "Parasound only" philosophy, it is more a tenant of audio gear design! :)

And moreover why the JC2 linestage does not have tone controls, or anything for that matter, between the input and output - as close to the "straight wire" as you can get!

Agreed on the JC3, but in phono pre world lack of configurability can hurt sales more than help -- many are looking for flexibility in the phono pre area!

10. TheVinylAddict

Agreed.

I was on the phone with Richard (Parasound Pres) the other day on aonther topic, and the topic drifted to the topic of the JC3+ and subsequent Jr. Just as the motivation of the Jr was to cut the price of the "cost is no concern" JC3+ in half, and appeal to more in a better sales price point --- the XRM is that times two!!

But something that was not as evident in the 3+ ---> Jr genesis, where there are major / significant design, component and architecture difference between the two --- the XRM is more like the Jr in that it is a "trimmed down" Jr priced VERY competitively. I personally always found the Jr a tad over-priced for what it delivered....... but of course YMMV. But then again, so is the 3+, and why I bought ,my 3+ for $2K instead of $3K!!

Dan Steele and rbmitch2 like this.
  11. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Well, I bought one. AudioAdvisor is giving a $150US trade-in for old phono preamps if you buy one, so I couldn't resist.

So far I've run it with my Audio-Technica VM610MONO MM on a 10" Audio-Technica tonearm. Bass was a bit shy, but it's great with horns and timbre, playing a mono pressing of the first album by The Bee Gees. Dead silent, too. That mono button is a must-have feature for me.

I plan to put a bunch of hours on it this weekend to see how it breaks in.

CLaytonpd, Dan Steele and desmoface like this.
  12. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Alright, I had some serious listening time with the XRM this weekend. And I like it!

First, I compared it to my Ray Samuels Audio F-117 Nighthawk phono stage. This unit is no slouch; fast, effortless, and good with detail. But I found the XRM slightly better with detail retrieval, and better with soundstaging, especially front-to-back.

The XRM seriously sounds good in mono; I had a real good time listening to The Association and Doris Day LPs with the XRM and my mono cart. I love being to go from a stereo cart to a mono cart just by flipping two switches.

I found I was able to get more bass out of the XRM by putting it on Herbie's Tenderfeet and deadening the top with a Ziplock bag of sand (yeah, I know, but it's all I had lying around).

I'm keeping the XRM, and Audio Advisor is giving me $150 credit for a trade-in phono stage.

CLaytonpd and Dan Steele like this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

My old regular Zphono has plenty deep clean bass. I hope the XRM isn’t going for almost too clean sound and cuts some of the bass down (sometimes this happens in phono amps)

efhjr likes this.
  14. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Bumping to see if anyone else has picked up one of these...

15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Anymore reviews? I read the Freire review but it was too short and not a lot of detail imo. I wish he gone into more depth IMO. Gave it a good review tho at least !

Dan Steele and GoldprintAudio like this.
  16. GoldprintAudio

I've been using one off and on here for the past year or so and I still think it's a fantastic value. IMHO one of the better sub $750 stages on the market at this time.

Dan Steele, MikeJedi and dman23 like this.
  17. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I'm looking at the XRM as well, it's down to that or the MoFi Studio Phono to pair with my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO. Both have a mono switch which is a must for me. The Mofi is $200 cheaper so kind of leaning that way but still haven't ruled the XRM out.

mackat likes this.
  18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Might be considering this to go with my Yamaha AS2200/Klipsch RB5. Not sure if the Yammie internal phono is going to perform the way I want. I’ve had good luck with my old Zphono on my AV preamp/Parasound system with Denon DL110. Maybe I can pair this up with AT750SH and call it a day and be done !

19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Probably going to stick with my old Zphono I think especially if I keep going with my DL110 or get a Denon 301mkii which I might do. It seems that the XRM is not as warmer sounding like the original Zphono from what I am gathering. I would be afraid of getting too lean a sound with the XRM and those carts .. imo .. anyone else can chime in ? :)

20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

It just doesn’t seem like there are a lot of XRM reviews out there :(. Still considering buying one if I upgrade to 301 mkii Denon cart MC :)

21. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Sounds like everyone Nirvana: "lush, strong harmonic detail, smooth, musical"

22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I was thinking jc3 jr but still in the back of my mind I should save some funds and just go with this XRM and pair it with the Denon 301mkii I have been wanting to upgrade from my DL110 and Regular Zphono. To go with my AS2200/Klipsch setup. !! It seems I am reading mixed messaging on the XRM. Some peeps really like it and some not so much. I am wondering what the true sound sig really is. It seems like from what I gather it could retain the sound signature of the original Zphono only better. But the older review I read said it didn’t like it was lean sounding. … too bad there aren’t more reviews out there for the XRM. I might just have to try it .. I think AA gives a 30 day audition. Decisions! Lol

Dan Steele likes this.
  23. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I also have a Denon 301 MKII and it pairs beautifully with the XRM. Been running this set-up for around 2 years.

CLaytonpd, MikeJedi and Dan Steele like this.
  24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Good to hear !! I think you just saved me a ton of $$$$. I would imagine the XRM has to punch way above its price point and be compatible with a good Denon like the high end DL301MKII! My old Zphono punches way above its weight … looks like I am heading in The XRM direction .. thanks :)

Boltman92124 likes this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

It appears Parasound dropped the price of the XRM by about 100 bucks !!! Awesome !!!!!!!!