New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

They played it too slowly IMO.

2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Excellent interview

theMess and vertigone like this.
  3. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Guilty here as well. Over excited like a kid at Christmas. ;)

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Guess I should repost this here since this appears to be the place we've decided to be.

Roughly graded as it compares to the rest of the solo McCartney oeuvre.

Opening Station - N/A
    I Don't Know - Nice enough. No melody to speak of, at least not as far as one being sung. Words are above average and not all awkwardly run together as he is wont to do when he tires to write "good" lyrics. Not really my kind of music since I'm not depressed at the moment, but fine for what it tries to do. 6/10
    Come On To Me
    - First spark of energy. He sounds more menacing than hopeful about the prospect of this relationship, but all in all a fun if inconsequential, trite ride. Hate "YesIWillYesIWill" but the rest is fine. Well produced. 6/10.
    Happy With You - Talk singing. Not my thing at all. Is he saying he wasn't really happy before when he used to do those things? Should I doubt all that came before? 3/10
    Who Cares
    - I like this better now than I did on SiriusXM. Not as much as some seem to, but I like it enough. Again, a lot of talk singing. 7/10
    Fuh You
    - This is going to come as a surprise to some I think, but I am not horrified by this as an album track. I don't like it at all. But absent the act of blatant and sad desperation of reaching for something that just isn't there for him and won't be again (a hit single) and placed among the other tracks, it's not offensively bad, just regular bad. 1/10
    Confidante
    - Boring, awkward and tuneless. 3/10
    People Want Peace
    - Terrible. Kurstin tries every trick in the book to try to make this epic (thundering drums? We have those! Hand Claps and McCartney made to sound like a chorus of people, shouting over himself to the end like Hey Jude? Pile it on!), but they all fall flat. Like someone told someone without talent to write a parody McCartney song. One bonus point to Kurstin for realizing he needed to try to do something to save it 2/10
    Hand In Hand
    - Not horrible, but not good. I don't like the voice he affects here. It's annoying. He sounds out of breath and it makes me slightly uncomfortable. Back off the mic bro. 5/10
    Dominoes
    - This is the Paul McCartney I know. Sounds like Traveling Paulburys. I like the rhythmic invention at "And like the dominoes who are falling." Nice bass part. Too much acoustic guitar for me but it stops shy of Young Boy deafening thunder. I like the lead guitar part. It all clicks. Tasteful and elegant. All the little Paulisms are there and used to great effect. 7.5/10
    Back In Brazil
    - Should have been left off for something better. Nothing redeeming. 1/10
    Do It Now
    - Interesting chord changes. Kind of like someone ripping off their misconception of what the Beatles sound like. It's charming and he sings it well. They realized they needed a big build up section to make it go somewhere and they provided it. I wish the end cello thing there was longer because that sounds really good. 7/10
    Caesar Rock
    - I want to love it but I don't. Another lap dance - no pay off. Acoustic guitars here really harm it. Could have been made better without that riff being hammered out on wishy washy acoustics. 5/10
    Despite Repeated Warnings
    - Now I don't even like that musical section that I liked the other night. Sounds like when Broadway composers who have no business writing "pop/rock" decide they're going to write a rock musical. Like a cheesy 70s rock opera by people who look down on rock music and think they can do it better than people who actually do rock music. Forget Fuh You, the real embarrassment of Egypt Station is that they tried to promote this as anything like Live and Let Die or Band on the Run. That's a worse misrepresentation than saying OTG was his best since the White Album. 1/10
    Station II
    - Should have just been part of the following suite. What's the point?
    Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link - A complete triumph. Rock McCartney, Pop McCartney, guitar God McCartney. Everything you need to know about what the man can do in a 6.5 minute package. It's not a career best, but it's a late career highlight for sure. 9/10

Overall: 4.54/10

Fleet Fox likes this.
  5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Come On To Me:

CREDITS

Written and composed by Paul McCartney
    Produced by Greg Kurstin
    Co-produced by Paul McCartney
    Recorded at Henson Studios, LA, with additional sessions recorded at Hog Hill Mill, Sussex and Abbey Road Studios, London
    Engineered by Steve Orchard, Alex Pasco, Julian Burg and Greg Kurstin, assisted by Matt Tuggle, Collin Kadlec, Brad Giroux, Keith Smith, Jamie Kirkham and Paul Pritchard
    Mixed by Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, assisted by Michael Freeman and Derek Stockwell at Henson Studios, LA
    Published by MPL Communications Inc
    (P) 2018 MPL Communications Inc

Paul McCartney – Vocals, Tom Toms, Claps, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Harmonica,
    Mrs Mills Piano
    Greg Kurstin- Percussion, Electric Guitar
    Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens – Hammond, Synth Strings
    Abe Laboriel Jr – Drums
    Rusty Anderson – Electric Guitar
    Brian Ray – Bass, Electric Sitar
    Tim Loo – Cello
    Greg Phillinganes – Piano
    Muscle Shoals Horns: Soprano Sax – Doug Moffet
    Trumpet – Steve Herrman
    Tenor Sax – Tom ‘Bones’ Malone
    Trombone – Charles Rose
    Baritone Sax – Jim Hoke

Source: Come On To Me - Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Hang in there Darrin.

Darrin L. likes this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I did this today, and have done it for the last few CDs I was concerned about getting from Target on release. It's always uncomfortable going in and asking if they have it when it is not on the shelves - they rarely know what you're talking about. But I've never had a problem ordering online & picking up at store.

Lownote30 likes this.
  8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I just gave Egypt Station a quick listen on You Tube (I'll probably get round to picking it up eventually, bleedin' expensive on vinyl, though).
    My first impressions are that the comparisons with Ram are apt. Tug Of War as well, McCartney's voice sounds like a mature version of his Columbia era voice to me, it's better than I thought it was going to be. The female vocals on some of the tracks are a nice touch, we haven't heard those on a McCartney record in some time. And you can't have a McCartney album with at least one "WTF?!" moment, which is where "Back To Brazil" and "Fuh You" come in:laugh:

"Dominoes", "Caesar Rock" (which brought McCartney II to mind, as did "C Link" with it's "On The Way" connotations) and "Who Cares" were probably my favourites here. 3 1/2 outta five overall.

Yorick, theMess, scoostraw and 2 others like this.
  9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Same here. Locking it in by purchasing it online for pickup at the store has never failed for me.

mmars982 likes this.
  10. Excuse me for the self back pat......BUT ....back in June, I proposed the Grand Central Station locale for a promo and yesterday I predicted Macca would play If You Come On To Me.......amd Drive My Car (which was a quick acoustic version in a comedy sketch. )

But who could have predicted such a great album as Egypt Station just when this thread began?

Promo proposal:

Have Macca and band play at Grand Central Station in NYC.

Paperback Writer, Jun 26, 2018Report
    #14414+ QuoteReply

Predictions? Guesses? How many songs played live? Which ones? Old ones? new Ones?

My guess:

Two, If You Come On To Me....... and Drive My Car - Hope I’m WRONG!
    Your guess?

11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Happy With You:

CREDITS

Produced by Greg Kurstin
    Recorded at Henson Studios, LA, with additional sessions at Abbey Road Studios, London
    Engineered by Steve Orchard, Alex Pasco, Billy Bush and Julian Burg, assisted by Matt Tuggle, Kyle Stevens, Keith Smith and Paul Pritchard
    Mixed by Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, assisted by Michael Freeman and Derek Stockwell at Henson Studios, LA

Paul McCartney – Vocals, Foot Stomp, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Harpsichord, Piano
    Greg Kurstin – Upright Piano dampened single note, finger snaps,
    Abe Laboriel Jr – Fuzzy Toms, Tack Piano bass note
    Pedro Eustache – Flute (custom mouth piece) and harmony Flute
Rob Millett – Cimbalom
    Everton Nelson – 1st Violin (String quartet)
    John Metcalfe – 1st Viola (String quartet)
    Bruce White – 2nd Viola (String quartet)
    Ian Burdge – Cello (String quartet)

Source: Happy With You - Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

12. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Fallon is so over the top with macca.

13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Probably the same setlist from Liverpool and London...

14. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

Does the CD sound better? The hi-res is a big disappointment. Loud and harsh.

15. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

'Back in Brazil' official video: Thanks first of all 5th-beatle!
    Second: OH, THERE IS THAT GIRL! From the Brazil concert last year when everyone was saying she was first seen a day before at the rehearsal and the day after onstage with Paul! So they were shooting the 'Back in Brazil' video! cool

theMess, susyredstripe, jlf and 2 others like this.
  16. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Barnes and Noble only got two copies of the red vinyl edition. San Jose Cali.. I got one!

scotti and forthlin like this.
  17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Not a nun in sight. I didn't have to knock anyone over to get to my precious copy of Egypt Station.

Oddly, there were no screaming fans, no wristbands handed out, no extra security at Target this morning.

It was eerie. It was like it was a regular day at the store or something. :D

And thankfully not one frenzied fan tried to grab my CD when I left the store!

18. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Japanese CD shipped yesterday. No shipping notice on my colored vinyl from pm.com.

JDeanB likes this.
  19. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Only one copy (red band) at my local indie and a free litho.

20. Link to the youtube version of the album please!!!!!
    Haven't been able to find it... dying to hear it!!!!

21. DaBear

DaBear Forum Resident

Same here, both Japanese CD on it's way, and waiting for the coloured deluxe vinyl from pm.com, but this is the status line - Delivery 1 of 1 Processed 1 Egypt Station Deluxe Coloured Vinyl. So could be sent but without tracking number. Probably a week until it reaches me. Until then multi-room speakers and Spotify will do!! :D

Jerry Horne likes this.
  22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Who Cares:

CREDITS

Produced by Greg Kurstin
    Recorded at Henson Studios, LA
    Engineered by Steve Orchard, Alex Pasco, Billy Bush and Julian Burg, assisted by Matt Tuggle and Kyle Stevens

Paul McCartney – Vocals, Bass, Acoustic Guitar
    Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens – Farfisa, Hammond
    Abe Laboriel Jr – Drums, Backing Vocals
    Rusty Anderson – Electric Guitar, Backing Vocals
    Brian Ray – Electric Guitar, Backing Vocals

Source: Who Cares - Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
Thread Status: