New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

8-track, mini-disc, and HitClip

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Over the course of years, the back catalog would potentially generate very profitable sums. Slow and steady wins that race.

Plus box sets are pricey items and maximize profits. If George could re-release Gone Troppo and Extra Texture on separate LPs and in an expensive box set, then there is lots of room for Capitol to generate $$$ from Paul's own back catalog.

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Rarities release? :pineapple:

;)

4. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Here's a theory, not a bulletproof theory, but not a bad theory: people like to sign Paul McCartney because it means that they get to meet him and have a "relationship" with him. Not that Paul doesn't sell -- I assume he's among the top 10 sellers among artists whose main body of work is pre-1985. But that sales are a thin justification for what is really a personal reason for signing him: the personal gratification and prestige of signing him, getting him to come to your Holiday party, and telling your friends how he led a round of Hey Jude/Baby Face in your living room. Comments?

5. Arnold Grove

It has to be part of the game plan. BUT not in 2017.

6. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

[QUOTE = "Arnold Grove, post: 17136163, участник: 14404"] Он должен быть частью плана игры. НО не в 2017 году. [/ QUOTE]

Very Sad:sigh:

7. Arnold Grove

My Russian is a little rusty. Can you translate please?

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I find it odd that "Bip Bop" does not translate over perfectly. ;)

jlf and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  9. MaccaFanForever

MaccaFanForever Active Member

That's exactly what I thought. Paul has 24 studio albums in all. This vinyl box will be the first of 3 sets. Just like th Bowie vinyl box's coming out. Maybe the first set will just be wings. And the second set will start off "solo" and start with mccartney 1. That's my guess. Multiple configurations? Guys remember "we'll be implementing a comprehensive plan for paul back catalogue? Well my guess is this is that plan. A series of box sets. And since there's multiple configurations maybe the vinyl will be colored and then they'll also be a cd set and a download digitaly from iTunes. So that's where I'm putting my money.

10. MaccaFanForever

MaccaFanForever Active Member

For me it's the pure quality. The full soundwave (when it's analogue) and most of the sound wave when it's High Resolution.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It would sure excite me. Only McCartney album I like that I don't have on vinyl.

jlf likes this.
  12. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

Ок) Sorry for my english!

Sadly that will not be rarities in 2017.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

You are correct. He indeed has 24 studio albums. Following a similar game plan as the Bowie box set plan is very possible.

14. Arnold Grove

Спасибо ... ;)

15. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I couldn't care less about 8 new pressings on vinyl of The Wings studio albums.

But, I am very interested in the upcoming studio album. Another oddball project I'm fascinated by. The apparently delayed or cancelled McCartney rarities box set, or multiple disc set.

Several years ago I actually spoke with Denny Seiwell about it,he was chuffed about it. Several members here, even spoke of a few of the tunes that had been unearthed. The 66 demo of Woman was one. A whole bunch of Wings stuff Denny was excited about..

That was around the time the so called Trevor Horn tape leaked, with McCartney singing lead on Must Do Something About it... Which later came out officially as a bonus track. But not the box..

So knowing stuff like that is available, but being offered drivel like say hypothetically, 8- Wings reissues, sans bonus tracks, just to get colored vinyl ? Who cares, it's actually offensive.. so uninteresting

Not to be rude or negative, I'm not hip to current marketing, but if I or the fans were given a choice, which would do better of the following... Hypothetically

1- 8 Wings albums reissued on colored vinyl..

Or two

2. A comprehensive box set series, staggered releases over 2-3 years... Of rarities, unreleased tracks, demos, the 70s, the 80s the 90s, the 00s.

Alternate versions of well known McCartney songs, many outtakes the 7 just released on Flowers in the dirt..

Or just more releases like that expanded FITD... There are probably 10 more albums that could receive the deluxe treatment. I'm in love with the new songs,,,So Like Candy, etc.

Is something inane & boring like 8 colored vinyl Wings albums really a good money maker ? Compared to what they could be doing ?

Who decides these things ? So many Beatles, Wings, Lennon, projects seem to release the least desirable thing possible, compared to what's available. Am I wrong ? If I I'm wrong fine, explain it to me.

As to the forthcoming album, with Kurstin producing, I just keep hearing the NEW album in my head, as a sort of place holder...and that Adele James Bond song, produced by Kurstin..

The next album probably sounds nothing like that, but since we have no clues, details, samples, it's hard not to envision something while anticipating the next album.

Sorry for the long post. The next album is surely among the last new studio rock-pop albums the man will ever do. He is 75. So just for that reason alone it's an important album historically, emotionally, musically.

It's my firm belief, they have enough in the can to craft at least 10 good studio albums, if he retired tomorrow. Witness the 20 unreleased songs done with Geoff Emerick during the I Want To Come Home period.

Just as an example... 20+ songs just from that one sliver of time doing sessions with Emerick... Now expand, corrolate, estimate, every similar episode since 1970..

And they offer colored vinyl ? Kind of a letdown imo.

16. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Here's another clue
    I wouldn't worry about it. The more I think about it, there's just no way MPL would drop a vinyl release, much less a colored vinyl package. No way at all. MPL may not be savy, but they're not stupid.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  17. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

McCartney has a new song called "Let Myself Down" that's been registered this week at Ascap. Could be a new single or yet another song title that won't turn up anywhere, anytime soon.

18. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Let's hope for the former

19. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

It can be like that

First Box

Ram (1971)
    Wild Life (1971)
    Red Rose Speedway (1973)
    Band on the Run (1973)
    Venus and Mars (1975)
    Wings at the Speed of Sound (1976)
    London Town (1978)
    Back to the Egg (1979)

Second box

McCartney (1970)
    McCartney II (1980)
    Tug of War (1982)
    Pipes of Peace (1983)
    Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984)
    Press to Play (1986)
    Снова в СССР (1988/1991)
    Flowers in the Dirt (1989)

Thrid Box

Off the Ground (1993)
    Flaming Pie (1997)
    Run Devil Run (1999)
    Driving Rain (2001)
    Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005)
    Memory Almost Full (2007)
    Kisses on the Bottom (2012)
    New (2013)

Mr. Explorer, MaccaFanForever and jlf like this.
  20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

McCartney has famously said.. speaking of the record company, & their marketing strategy. " Well it's at least a couple years, till we need another new album"

The man has about 25 rock-pop studio albums since the Beatles. But he could have 50. Thank God the marketing people didn't actually prevent the work. Just the release.

Yorick likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Correction: The actual title is "Let Steve Hoffman Forum Members Down" ... ;)

22. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

That's hilarious :biglaugh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

I don't disagree with you, there is so much unreleased stuff and I've said it elsewhere but the thing that let's the Archive collection down is the music. Take Wings Over America: every venue scrupulously documented, reproductions from the tour artist and yet only 8 new songs, etc, etc. Anyone reading this thread knows the deal.

But the Bowie boxes seem to have been successful. Yes, there are fans clamouring for Deluxe Editions of all the individual titles but the public at large seem to feel otherwise. A Macca albums collection is not unimaginable.

24. Arnold Grove

Wait till you hear it. ;)

25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Two words...Bip & Bip.

Mr. Explorer and Arnold Grove like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.