New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1 track, two versions

2. beatlesblogger

beatlesblogger Forum Resident

This is so obviously a fake. There's no MPL logo anywhere to be seen - something that McCartney and his people are very adamant about. I have seen and have many official "radio promos" (used to work in the business) and they all - except for a very few "rush" releases - have way better and more professional printing than what you can see in the eBay images. The sad thing is that some poor unsuspecting soul just paid over US$70 for it......

3. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

I unintentionally reinforced my sense that Driving Rain has a rough start to it.

Since I had it on the brain this morning, I listened to the title track - followed by I Do, Tiny Bubble, Magic etc. Give this a try - I think it is terrific!!

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  4. Do you know if it's a "real" CD or a CDR?

5. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

They are CD-R, created by the same person, maybe not the seller or maybe yes.
    He has many others IDENTICAL...
    [​IMG]

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

As they saying goes, your mileage may vary. For the record, I've always had mixed feelings about Driving Rain. I like parts of it, but it's definitely not top-tier Paul IMHO.

7. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

And there lies the 'McCartney fan's' dilemma. I always thought DR got off to a decent start with its opening 3 tracks before it descended into complete bobbins!

scoostraw likes this.
  8. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

ha!

9. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Yes and they are both very unofficial.

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

In my post Egypt station state I randomly wade through Paul's work from all over the place. Today I listened through the full Kisses on the bottom-a very dear album to me. I really enjoy the great american songbook and Paul does a brilliant job in his reading of these songs. Add to that the wondruous My Valentine-a definitive classic in my book. Great back up musicians and the vocals. All the discussions of Pauls vocal decline doesn t show here-admittedely some years ago. It s a masterclass
    of phrasing and singing. On the vocal front one of my favorite Paul albums. Don t think we will hear that voice on Egypt station though
    :)

11. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Now that here in Europe half the week is nearly over I‘m curious if and when we‘ll hear something from the forum member who announced a week ago that by now he would have heard „Egypt Station“ completly and tell us about it.
    I hope he didn‘t have dark suited late night visitors sent by MPL afterwards... :D

12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Those guys from the "Pretty Little Head" video.

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I was wondering what happened to our friend from France as well. Sometimes these things to go according to plan

theMess likes this.
  14. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

In fairness I seem to remember that poster saying he thinks he'd hear it by the end of this week maybe as soon as Monday, so I haven't given up hope quite yet.

15. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Has this possibility been discussed?

Side A: Station I
    Side B: 7 tracks
    Side C: 7 tracks
    Side D: Station II

A) Would this "work" as an album?
    B) Can anyone think of an album that has already been done this way?

16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"I Don't Know" didn't do much for me at first, but it's grown on me some. I think the piano intro is particularly lovely, and a perfect example of what's great about Paul's piano playing. He's not technically dazzling, but he can play with great feel and subtlety. This intro captures the bittersweet mood he's going for perfectly, both melodically and the way he plays some notes very softly and some with a fuller touch. It's exquisite.

17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

To me, Looking At Her is one of those tracks that, in my oh so humble opinion, compares favorably with anything Macca has ever done, ever, in the Beatles or after.

Great track, great album. Set high expectations for the next one.

Paul H, theMess, jammincrowe and 4 others like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That piano-intro to I don t know is nothing sort of sublime. According to Greg Kurstin they layed the finishing touches to the album in Abbey road studios. Among these were this intro to the song. As opposed to you I liked the song from start and it was that piano-intro that did it for me. Now I truly love this song that -for me-might turn out to be one of Pauls most intriguing ballads over the last decades.

19. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

I really like "New", but don't want one more album like this. It was a good experiment. That's it.

And yes, "Looking at Her" maybe the worst from this album for me.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I guess you want a NEW album but nothing like NEW:)

trickster likes this.
  21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Already discussed on the sneeze fetish forum below! :righton:

The Beatles

Prudence1964 likes this.
  22. flsteve565

flsteve565 Forum Resident

Could not agree more with IDK, brilliant song....

Plays right into the feelings of self doubt we all feel from time to time, very human and relatable song. Paul sells the emotion very well. Refreshing to know he can feel this way. Reminiscent of how I felt when I first heard “Alligator”, “Somebody Who Cares” and “Little Willow”. Touching on raw human emotions. Very reassuring.

Like it more than a very likeable COTM.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree-I don t know has some emotional power that at least I can connect with. Just as the other song you mentioned. Little Willow is a song that I have been thinking of when listening to I don t know. Not because they sound similar but they communicates emotions in a similar way. Little Willow is one of my all-time favorite McCartney songs so it s not a small praise to compare I don t know with that one.

24. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

You've got it:)

Bemagnus likes this.
  25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

But... if you want it to sound OLD, just listen to all your OLD McCartney albums... :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.