New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It just seems very shortsighted to me, and I do not believe that any McCartney fan would not buy the FITD reissue boxset simply because one or two FITD tracks were included on 'Pure'. If anything, they would act as a nice taster of the remastered sound to come.

Paulwalrus, Tord and Perian like this.
  2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Right. I think Keith Richards refer to Mick Jagger as 'she' in his disocgraphy. :D

3. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Isn't "Chaos and Creation" kind of like a "McCartney III"? It's pretty stripped down and Paul played most of the instruments.

4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I agree, it does a disservice to the compilation to exclude a song or songs due to the timing of its release relative to another release. It's not going to self destruct after this year is over. It's forever.

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It is close, but not quite, because Godrich had a big involvement as producer, and because Paul did use some outside musicians. Still, it is probably as close as we will get alongside 'Electric Arguments'.

6. MikeVielhaber

Well he didn't play all instruments and he didn't even produce it.

theMess likes this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Very tasteful production on "Chaos on Creation in the Backyard". "Electric Arguments" is a huge favorite of mine because it's the most psychedelic album he's made since 1967. I would rather hope for a "Paul McCartney" double album than a McCartney III.

Psychedelic Good Trip and Perian like this.
  8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I love it when people say Choas is McCartney 3 when it's not by any means. It was more produced than the McCartneys and had a producer.

A truely stripped down album featuring just Paul McCartney, he hasn't made an album like that since McCartney II and its about time

9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I would like a real band album, with his current live band or something like Paul McCartney & Teenage Fanclub or Paul McCartney & Wilco. :goodie:

10. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

I wonder if if we could get a new Fireman album next year as well, since Paul said in last month's Q magazine that he thinks it's time to make another one.

11. paulmccartneyistheman

That would be interesting, I would be into it. I liked the Cut Me Some Slack with the Nirvana members.

But I would prefer a McCartney 3, after hearing the one-man-band Demons Dance from the NEW sessions made my mouth water for more in that vein

12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Now that is an idea; Paul releasing a power pop album with Teenage Fanclub would be truly fantastic. Had he done that in the early 90's I imagine that it would have gone down very well.

Yorick, Haristar and the sands like this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I love the whole feel of 'Demon's Dance' and would be more than happy to have an entire album made along similar lines.

I would love for Paul to release an entire album with the remaining members of Nirvana. I also think that he should take up Albarn's offer of working with Gorillaz.

kevintee likes this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

He definitely needs to release a follow up to 'Electric Arguments', especially something that is just as psychedelic and experimental. Maybe he could improvise it in the same way, but spend more time recording than he did with the last album.

I am very interested in hearing the two instrumental African titled dance tracks that he mentioned recording in an interview last year.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I wonder if Paul has chosen to work with Greg Kurstin because of the fact that he worked with Beck? Paul seems to have been quite close to Beck over the last few months, so maybe Beck suggested him as a producer?

Obviously Adele's success with 'Hello' must also be on Paul's mind as well, but either way, it would be great if Paul collaborated with Beck. I can see them working well together, in a somewhat similar way to Paul's work with Costello.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Best part of the interview (for me) :

Will it (Flowers in the Dirt) be released in its entirety? There are all those songs you wrote and recorded with Elvis Costello, many of them not officially released.

That’s one of the real exciting things. Those demos. We’re releasing them as part of this package. I’m not sure I’m supposed to be telling you this. . . . It’s great that you’re a fan of “Flowers in the Dirt.” Cause you’ve got a real nice release coming out. We showed it all to Elvis, and he was just tickled pink.

jricc, supermd, Tord and 4 others like this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, that is fabulous news, especially when taken alongside Costello's recent mention of a McCartney/Costello song that Elvis didn't even remember existed which was re-discovered. Hopefully it will be included in the box-set.

18. paulmccartneyistheman

Although it would be great, I loved NEW's modern touch, I hope he countinues in that vein, solo(with the normal contributions from the band)

If a collaboration appeared a Beck album, that would be cool! :D

theMess likes this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would be very happy with something like 'New 2', and I completely see where you are coming from. I too loved the modern feel of 'New', especially on 'Appreciate'.

I wonder what will happen to the leftover songs from the New sessions? Would Paul include 'Party Girl', produced by Ronson, on this album?

20. MikeVielhaber

I prefer something different than the last album. Always something different.

Jack Sutton, vitorbastos123 and Tord like this.
  21. paulmccartneyistheman

I wonder, after the modest success of NEW, if he'll copy the same multi-producer approach using new producers, but use Party Girl from the NEW sessions under a new producer.

I wonder how he cared for Ronson's approach on that song and would consider using it with someone else. He called Ronson's approach 'everyone's approach' which worked on New and Alligator but I feel like he cared more for the other producers ways.

theMess likes this.
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

As good as this news is, I think we also need to recognize that Paul is usually much later at getting his products on the shelves than he anticipates! And he likes to mention projects that may or may not come to fruition - remember when he said "Bob Dylan would be lovely [to collaborate with], because I admire him, and I was thinking the other day maybe David Byrne, because I like him too.” That was 2008 and nada has emerged.

I also love the quote from 2009, when I Want To Come Home came out, and he said: "I'm writing quite a bit, and I've got a bunch of new songs up my sleeve, so I expect I will make a new album," he says, anticipating a 2010 release under his name, not The Fireman. 2010, 2011, 2012 and the majority of 2013 came and went before New hit the racks.

23. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

It would have to be 100% produced and played by Paul, and one extra voice allowed. :)

Tord and theMess like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about a McCartney sings Lennon album ?

BEEAAATTTLLLZZZAAAAA! likes this.
  25. paulmccartneyistheman

If I was at my computer ready, I would cite these, but he has made comments about making new material for a while and rumors about the producer and comments from Rusty about making a new record. So I think it's coming, the one I don't see happening is the movie!

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.