New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Or that mooted collaboration with Bob Dylan?

2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

McCartney and Beck could be interesting. They both treat pop music as art. Beck collaborated with Dight Yoakam on Yoakam's "3 Pears" (2012) and I love it. It's something as rare as psychedelic country music.

905 and theMess like this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Am I the only one out here that thinks Party Girl didn't get released because it's probably ... lousy? We know of multiple outtakes from, say, Driving Rain that his band were quoted as really liking and Paul said "next album", but those never surfaced. Why do we attach such import to a song with a decidedly odd-sounding title (especially in the lengthier incarnation as Secret Life Of A Party Girl)? It always struck me as sounding like one that didn't hold much promise, like Watching My Fish Drown, which - deservedly? - folks don't seem too distressed about remaining unreleased.

Granted, I'd like to hear both of 'em, and all the other unreleased stuff, too. But I figure if Paul vetoed the song from the basic New tracklisting, the deluxe tracklisting AND the collector's edition tracklisting, there's probably a good for that!

4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Or a tribute album to the Eurovision Song Contest with his interpretations of Djengis Kahn and Bobbysocks. All the #1s. It should be enough material for a box set.

Yorick likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Oh, I know about the comments from the band members. I don't doubt he's been recording sporadically, but I think that's probably pretty typical for him. Having followed the guy's career very closely since the early 80s, I just know that it's common for Paul to say he's working on new material and he'll probably have it out "next year". However, the number of times that's actually occurred, as compared to the number of times he's said that don't exactly compare favorably...

6. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

That's probably it, it did by pass the deluxe and collectors edition!

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You could easily be right, it may be a fairly poor song, and I was only using it as an example because it is the only unreleased song from those sessions that I know the title of, and I am interested to see whether he would release a song produced by Ronson on the next album, or whether he might re-record it.

The only reason why I want to hear the song 'Party Girl' is because either Ronson or the Rolling Stone reporter mentioned it in a positive light.

8. paulmccartneyistheman

Someone mentioned it once on the forum that it could be the center piece to the next album, we shall see

Yorick and theMess like this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I agree that the album is probably still quite some way away, I was just pleased to finally have confirmation that he is working with Kurstin, and that he is putting time aside after October to work on the next album. That doesn't mean that it will be out soon, but at least he mentioned 2017 as a potential release date.

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'd be perfectly happy with a new 'New'. I freely admit I bought the album as a matter of course and ended up being astounded how good it was. Even now, almost 3 years later it still feels fresh to me and I've never tired of any of the songs.

11. paulmccartneyistheman

That's my favorite quality of New, it hasn't lost its freshness

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

A bit sad he's still chasing mass acceptance by hiring contemporary hit producers.

Yorick and klaatuhf like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

To me the songs were a reminder of why we fell in love with his music in the 60s and 70s. Those of us who were around, that is.:D The album was something of a masterclass in song writing and construction.

14. Bobby Morrow

I think he already has 'mass acceptance'. :D

It's probably more that he wants to work with new people and pick their brains a bit. I'm sure they feel the same about him.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It's a bit sad that you are pretending to know why Paul does what he does. As Bobby pointed out, he already has mass acceptance, and he simply likes collaborating with new and exciting people.

Seltarb, 905, pablorkcz and 9 others like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, but then they could fit "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" onto it... :hide:

17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Oh Hosanna, don't start that up again. :D

18. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

This is great news! Thanks for posting this @theMess !

rstamberg, linclink and theMess like this.
  19. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

He might finally score a big hit one day. ONE DAY... *sigh*...

JDeanB likes this.
  20. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I think this is the case. Paul follows his muse much like Neil Young, and sometimes to the frustration of his fans. Of course, at this stage in the speculation, who knows what he'll come up with? My wish, for years, has been that Paul get off the road, and spend his time writing and recording. Maybe he'll outdo himself in his old age. But it's doubtful if he's touring so much. Still, good for him that he does what he wants.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

I hope the next album continues the same quality of his releases since Flaming Pie.

NEW is definitely my favorite album ever made, it has everything I love about Paul. And I believe it's the most consistent McCartney album, lyrically and musically, that he's ever put out. He has set the bar high for himself.

22. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Actually, I will take whatever Paul releases.. It can be a 'NEW Vol2', or a new Fireman project, or an entirely acoustic album, or a fully produced and played like McCartney, I dont care!! Everything Paul released so far is (at least) enjoyable or amazing!

23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Put your wet blanket in a dryer please...

rstamberg and theMess like this.
  24. paulmccartneyistheman

I would take anything at this point myself, whatever he wants to release. I'm not too picky :D

25. Bobby Morrow

What about an album of duets with Miley Cyrus?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.