New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

I have the original Vs and Vitalogy, both audio beauties. The double LP of Ten from a few years ago was awful.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Originals are the only way to go so far.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That'd be okay too. I just want to put on an LP, get comfy, and enjoy a full side of music before having to get up and flip again. PJ is never going to be audiophile-quality, and judging by the Pearl Jam records I already own, I think for any 45-50 minute PJ album, the benefits of splitting it up over two LP's are minimal, if even noticeable at all. (On a personal note, if you exclude "Stupid Mop" from Vitalogy, the otherwise two longest PJ albums are IMO their two weakest, which I don't think is a coincidence)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. Pieter Kozak

You think Vitalogy is weak?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Have you ever heard the originals for No Code and Binaural? They are very freaking good - whether calling them audiophile is appropriate or not, they will absolutely show off a stereo.

6. Pieter Kozak

The remaster of No Code is superb IMO.

7. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I had the cassette back in '92...but the CD is great, too.
    The vinyl reissue...sucks. I listened to it twice and sold it.

richbdd01 and Pieter Kozak like this.
  8. Pieter Kozak

Did the same thing, sounded like someone had put blankets on my speakers. I even sold the original vinyl because the CD is king, pains me to say.

9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The US original (which came out in 1994 I think, not 1991) beats the original CD... Albeit not by much.
    PJ has yet to put out a reissue that compares to the original. Maybe these new ones might be the exception.... The bar is set low for the ST anyway.

marcfeld69, Vinyl_Blues and Hep Alien like this.
  10. walrus

I wish. I've never even seen one in real life. I never said they couldn't sound good, I just am pointing out there are great Pearl Jam vinyl releases that cram quite a bit of music on each side, and I never really understood why the self-titled album and Binaural came out the way they did. (I've never heard the S/T LP, but apparently it still wasn't a very good pressing)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You're one of the few people who realizes that the US press did not come out until 1994!

marcfeld69 and Hep Alien like this.
  12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Nonsense. They aren't Steely Dan, but their albums up to "Riot Act" have excellent sonics. Unfortunately, for all the vinyl cheerleading they did, they have never properly mastered a vinyl LP. They are always cut from digital as an afterthought...even the originals.

marcfeld69, Lucca90 and Pieter Kozak like this.
  13. Pieter Kozak

Original Vs LP in particular is a beast. When "Go" kicks in, it's killer.

marcfeld69, Hep Alien and benzo like this.
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The recent 'Legacy' edition of VS is very, very good. Interestingly, the 'Legacy' edition of Vitalogy is not. It,sounds similar to the Music on Vinyl reissue...very loud and a little compressed.

marcfeld69 and Efus like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Cut really quiet aswell...just sounds lifeless!

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  16. Pieter Kozak

Exactly, amazed it got pressed like this.

richbdd01 likes this.
  17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

PJ last two albums have been great. I would rather have new music.

marcfeld69 and azjvm05 like this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i don't really care if these are AAA (aren't some of the masters lost?) but i'd love some defect-free vinyl. the entire run has been such a mess so far.

azjvm05 likes this.
  19. Vinyl Socks

Some folks don't care about analog...some do. But those who do (like me) can't seem to fathom why they wouldn't go for the most organic, dynamic mastering for vinyl.
    They can do whatever they want with CDs and HDTracks and iTunes. Give us audiophiles something to love.
    I still love PJ, no matter what they do. But I don't need to get burnt again on their vinyl.

20. walrus

That's my point...the original recordings are fine, but that final step never seemed to be done with much care, whether CD or vinyl. So I never really understood the splitting of those three albums across multi-LP sets. (But also quietly believed none of those albums needed to be longer than 45 minutes...some great PJ songs on each, but also some definite b-side/filler material)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

This is fantastic.

Old Rusty likes this.
  22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've been waiting for about 2,243 days, 16 hours, 38 minutes and 51 seconds for Riot Act to be reissued on vinyl. DEFINITELY looking forward to this one!
    :edthumbs:

23. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

I've been waiting all my adult (and adolescent) life to get Binaural and Riot Act on vinyl for a sub-$200 price.

Old Rusty, Cooly McDuck and ToddH like this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh i definitely do, but i remember reading something on this very forum about master tapes being lost/destroyed or the like. because vinyl is my preferred way to listen to the tunes, i'd take some very high quality vinyl even if it is digital.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  25. Vinyl Socks

True - it's out there. Led Zeppelin's 2014 24/192 vinyl sounds great...so does Neil Young's 24/192 vinyl remaster of Decade from earlier this year. Stunning.

marcfeld69 likes this.