New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I would be interested if there were some outtakes/alternates from No Code, Yield and Binaural on CD. Remixed vinyl has little appeal to me.

2. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Personally, I'm not that excited for these upcoming remasters mainly because how poor the previous ones have been. Except for 'No Code', the rest have been mediocre at best. The whole experience leaves me shaking my head is disbelief really. Not sure how they got it so wrong. Shame too because Riot Act and Binaural are two of my favorite. Hoping for the best... the reception of these will need to overwhelmingly positive to jump back in at this point.

3. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

From PJ email: Correction:

Our previous email indicated that Binaural, Riot Act and Pearl Jam (Avocado) had been remixed by Brendan O'Brien and remastered.

In fact, only Pearl Jam (Avocado) has been remixed. All three titles have been remastered.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Wasn't that Lost Dogs?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

Why did Avocado need remixing? I totally understand a repress, as the album is very rare and reached a level of cost that is not within most peoples budget, but what about the original was bad from a mix/master standpoint?
    I cant even come close to forgiving O'Brien for the horrible Ten remix....now is he going to screw up Avocado too?

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It was about $15 in 2006, right off the band's website. Eeeze Peeze.

JasonA likes this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I can't imagine it being better, but the original version certainly was one of the worst sounding CD's I ever bought. But it was more the mastering than the mix, so I'm not super optimistic about this.

Johnny Wong and SludgeFactory like this.
  8. SludgeFactory

SludgeFactory Well-Known Member

The bass is really not all that present on Avocado. I read some interviews after the fact where the band kind of acknowledged this and they were a bit disappointed about it, (I'm guessing especially Jeff Ament). My hope is that the remix is to fix this. I have the original Avocado on vinyl and it is god awful, but so is the CD. Hopefully, this will be better but leaving it up to Brendan O'Brien quite honestly doesn't have me too thrilled.

9. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

yes in 2006, try finding one now!

10. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I wish they took as much care with mastering/pressing as they do with the packaging... all of the reissues so far are excellent when it comes to artwork and packaging reproduction, sometimes bettering the originals. Mastering and pressing quality not so much. A shame.

SludgeFactory likes this.
  11. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

He rescued Ten for me from the reverb drenching. Loved the remix.

12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

What I'm saying is - people had their chance, and it wasn't something that sold out instantly.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yes, for a handful of outtakes. I was referring to reissues of these albums; I would be interested if they were reissued/remastered augmented with session outtakes/alternates, and on CD. I find it unlikely that the session reels were exhausted for Lost Dogs.

14. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Plus, Lost Dogs used a lot of re-recorded versions in place of the original b-sides ("Alone" being one of the most significantly altered).

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

For the love of God, just repress the original 90's vinyl of TEN at least. Hell, it will save you some money and you can go and have a big fat corporate lunch. Its really not that hard.

Joe Spivey and JasonA like this.
  16. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

isn't that what they did? I just pre ordered it. It says Ten original mix with the original album cover.

I also preordered Riot Act and Binaural.

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I dont think "original mix" means the original master used to do the first pressings, just that its the original mix as opposed to.....the redux remix of a few years back for example. Of course, Id be stoked to be completely incorrect on that !!

18. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The original Avocado vinyl wasn't very good either.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's what I've heard. It's a bummer, since I really like some of the songs on that album. Although at least i've got live versions of most of them.

20. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I guess.

So its the original mix from the previous reissue that most of us already have in the original cover?

21. Ditto.

22. Cooly McDuck

Cooly McDuck Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's main beef, specifically, with the Redux? I've been finding I enjoy it more and more over the last year or whatever since it came out.

23. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Brick. Wall.

SludgeFactory likes this.
  24. Ya man, I don't get it either. The remix of 'Ten' on vinyl is killer. If it doesn't sound great on your stereo then something is wrong with your stereo. IMHO...

Johnny Wong likes this.
  25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Uh...it's a solid brick wall in any format. If it sounds great to you then there is something wrong with your ears. IMHO.

benzo and JasonA like this.