New Photo of Robert Johnson - Authentic

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, May 20, 2020.

1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Roosevelt Sykes

Roosevelt Sykes Forum Resident

3. Roosevelt Sykes

Roosevelt Sykes Forum Resident

Missed your thread by a minute or so

longdist01 likes this.
  4. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Wow. He looks more human now. Before he seemed like a ‘trademark’ or some sort of a character from a very distant historical era, but in this portrait, he seems like an average humble guy who loves his guitar and making music.

5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Unbelievable.

It's a striking image just for the stark contrast to the other iconic image. It only adds to his complicated legend.

And who woulda thunk we would've gotten a new image of Robert after all this time?

6. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, it's a great photo of him.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a beauty of a photo. It looks like it could be a record sleeve. It's not far off Dylan's first album.

8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I posted a thread about this about a minute after Tone...I'll delete it in favor of consolidation here.

I wrote:

There have been several highly dubious so-called "3rd photos" of Robert Johnson publicized in the last decade, but now the real thing has surfaced, as the cover of a brand new book written by his now 94-year old stepsister, who knew RJ when she was a child.

This is the real deal. Annye C. Anderson was a friend of Muddy Waters in the 1970s, and showed him the picture and other RJ memorabilia in documented meetings 40+ years ago. She is NOT part of the formal Robert Johnson Estate, having lost a legal claim to the Estate years ago. But the provenance of who she is, what she knows and tells, and what she has for documentation is substantive enough that blues researchers like Elijah Wald, Preston Lauterbach and John Tefteller are convinced this is genuine.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Such a nice photo.

10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Absolutely incredible.

SMRobinson, Cousin It and longdist01 like this.
  11. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

This is a photo of young Robert with his 1983 Frankenstrat :

[​IMG]

12. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Now that is one amazing find. :)

13. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Glad to see that there are still treasures like this one out there to be found. Amazing.

agundy, tug_of_war, supermd and 2 others like this.
  14. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

A ladies man for sure

15. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I love to see history being reclaimed! Imagine how many unidentified photos of famous people are floating out there among all the discarded photos at antique shops.

16. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'll get the book just to have that new picture!

longdist01, ConnieGuitar and The Sage like this.
  17. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Just to be clear: while this photo is newly-released to the public, it was seen by a few people decades ago, including no less than Muddy Waters himself, when he met with Annye C. Anderson (Johnson's stepsister) back in the 1970s. It is NOT "newly-discovered".

The meetings with Muddy are documented by other eyewitness accounts. She owned the photo and other RJ memorabilia that she showed to Muddy, and as the Vanity Fair excerpt points out, she was with RJ when he had the famous dime-store photos taken...of which this latest photo is one from that series.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

WOW!

longdist01 likes this.
  19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That photo looks familiar .....

20. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

WOWIE!!

longdist01 and Scope J like this.
  21. Goddam!

22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Saw his docu on Netflix. It was interesting.

Devil at the Crossroads

EdwinM and longdist01 like this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Incredible.
    As the short article states this was possibly taken at the same time as that somewhat eerie picture of him with the cigarette in his mouth. That 's my favourite of him. An amazing ' self portrait ' as it were.
    I'm sure many have seen that short clip which was bandied about as being of Robert Johnson. It's not though. That guy isn't this guy in this picture or the dandy playing his guitar or the don't -f*** -with-me guy with that cigarette and those dead eyes.
    As for this 'new' photo , Johnson sure looks happy for a guy who's met the devil at the crossroads and is no longer owner of his own soul.

24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

In the ciggie pic he's got a 14 fret Gibson with capo 2. Looks like same in the new pic but are they really? The ciggie pic looks like a dark or black finish and the new one is lighter but it could just be washed out from glare or flash. In the hat pic he's got an early L style Gibson 12 fret. Just sayin'...for the gear heads.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I think I know the one you mean. Some animation in it ?
    It was ok.
    I'd love to see a real nitty -gritty movie about his life. But , please , not some reimagination of facts but the true story without enhancement. No filter. No chaser.