New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh, that is just perfect! :laughup::laughup::laughup:

robtodd, Tensilversaxes and hi_watt like this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Same as mine - no rumble but waaaay too much noise.
    I have no problem with tics and pops, but these pops were major - and throughout many quite parts.

The Sax 2011 will get more play - dead silent.

3. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

What I hear is the hiss (which is normal) and the the constant cut-off-like sounds (which aren't). Granted, since you recorded it live with your cell phone, the hiss might be louder than usual, but the cut-offs are what worries me. If that's the case, then indeed, there is a defect.

4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've bought records made in the USA, from Amazon in Japan.
    so they've been around the world to be shipped back to Canada!

5. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Just playing my copy of Dark Side now. Yes, the cover has a lovely velvety feel to it and it's a beautiful package. The pyramid poster is purple. I've had purple, blue and green ones in the past. I'll give some SQ feedback later. I wanted to show a picture but photoslopbucket is down.

struttincool and Kyhl like this.
  6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Re-listened to Side 2 of the BG WYWH last night.
    Sounds great to me.
    Got a bit into this album around the mid 90's when the Gilmour led PF was touring, sound was a bit similar in my mind.
    Listening to it last night, maybe a bit long to wrap it up after the jammy part of the second SOYCD, but amazing sonics, as well as the performances by the band.

DS looks like 2 weeks out.
    Like hearing that they dialed the echo/reverb back a bit on U&T, a bit drier.
    I like the Parsons version better than the finished one, but it should benefit the choruses I'd hope.

The "hologram dot" on the back of my WYWH is like the size of a thumb print, has SIAE in the design, vend ita, and other things.
    On the outside hype wrap.....and man do they wrap this thing up, oooof, little easier taking the vinyl out of the sleeve the second time, pinched in from the sides.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Where I work, some of our purchase orders have the initials "BG", because of this thread anytime is see the letters B and G beside each other I automatically think Bernie has something to do with it, even if it has nothing whatsoever to do with audio or recording.

8. Boyan

Boyan Forum Resident

No pops on mine, but I do hear the rumble fo awhile then it's ok again.
    Hmmm, after listening this again it actually sounds great, but can't decide if I like it more than the Sax. I think both are great!

9. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Not in the one I visited this morning that had a selection of the other Floyd reissues ...

10. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Awesome, thank you.

11. NeilL

NeilL Active Member

Wasn't any of today's releases in the Sainsbury's I was in earlier.

12. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

I have first uk and a first Italian and both of them trounce the repress. It's all about the energy. Yes the reissue is nice and clean but the first presses bristle with coiled energy. That's what gets me up in the morning.

13. SibilanceSegs

The 2016 sounds very analogue. If I didn't know these were digitally sourced, my ears would have told me they were directly cut from the master. Whatever was tweaked in the digital realm, seems to be kept to a minimum. As I said before I believe these records were cut with the clarity of the Harvest/Capital originals in mind, and not made to sound like an enhanced analogue version of the CD. Obviously the master has aged so these new releases aren't going to have the 'UMPH" as the Harvest/Capital originals did 40 or so years ago. Now I'm starting to sound like a broken record lol.

14. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

There was 2 copies in London Colney earlier today… 1 left now that I've picked one up – £18

15. SibilanceSegs

Second listen.... on 'Money'... very clear.... good punch on Mason's bass drums. Love Rick's wah wah Wurlitzer, sounds very clear. The separation is amazing on this pressing. Good dynamics coming up to the 3rd solo. Air guitaring will be done at a later time.

808_state, DrZhivago and Pancat like this.
  16. SibilanceSegs

....and I am not frighten of buying....any reissue will, do I don't mind......why should I be frighten of buying, see no reason for it you gotta upgrade sometime

GowG, chrischerm, Bolero and 7 others like this.
  17. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

None in Harlow, Essex at lunchtime. They had *tons* of other good stuff, though.

18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I picked up the new US pressing of DSOTM at lunch today, complete with BG on the hype sticker. I listened to side 2 of my 30th Anniversary pressing (which I love) last night so I'll try to compare the new one to it after work.

SibilanceSegs and Dr. Funk like this.
  19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Thanks MM. I'll check back in later on this evening for your comparison.

20. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I've just received, clean and spun my 2016 DSOTM. Impressions:

BG pressing. A little bit warped but I have a VinylFlat so no biggie. What is a biggie, however, is the crispy surface noise during the quiet intro The Great Gig In The Sky! Very frustrating. I guess this is non-fill? It's the same noise that plagued all those copies of Bowie's Blackstar, particularly on the "Lazarus" track.

Soundwise, this is a fine mastering by Mr. Grundman, but if you have a clean copy of this that you're happy with, this pressing reveals little that's new. These tapes are what they are and that's that. I compared this with my UK A9/B10 HTM and tonally they are nearly identical. As others have said, this new issue is very warm sounding and there is nothing here that screams "digital source! run for the hills!" Soundstage is wide, bass is nice, highs are clean without being bright. EQ is nice and faithful to the classic original US/UK pressings. The things I didn't like about the 30th are not here, which makes me happy. No goosed EQ, no excessive sibilance (there's a hot "S" here and there but they don't grate like on the 30th) and a clean midrange that's not hollowed out like on the 30th (IMHO of course).

I have to say that the drums and vocals really jump out nicely on The Great Gig In The Sky. The vocals really pop pretty much everywhere, which is in line with the other BG masterings of this series (except possibly WYWH).

Sorry folks, Us & Them still has the congestion in the choruses. There's no real revelation on that track. The loud climax to Eclipse still struggles to hang together at the end of the side, as well. Interestingly, the ladies' vocals towards the end of Eclipse (behind Roger during "all that you give and all that you deal...") are nearly inaudible compared to other pressings, which is odd.

So, if you need a clean copy that sounds great this is a total no-brainer but don't expect another side of the moon to be revealed.

Kyhl, FashionBoy, mrgroove01 and 8 others like this.
  21. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

"The lunatic is in my thread..........the lunatic is in my thread"

drum_cas, Bolero, Dr Jackson and 2 others like this.
  22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The worthwhile comparisons would be obviously a first UK issue, the Japanese Pro Use series, MFSL and the KG/DS 2003 reissues. Its easy to say something sounds nice but we need some perspective here. Many people on the forum already have multiple copies so it would be useful to see how the new one stacks up.

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Since we haven't had someone from the USA confirm this,
    can you check your matrix code in the deadwax to see if it matches the EU version:

5099902987613-A BG 16690 2A
    5099902987613-B BG 16690 1B

24. SibilanceSegs

I would love to hear at least one song edited together switching back and forth between each copy.

mike catucci and richbdd01 like this.
  25. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

Just got it today. Indeed, BG is inscribed in the dead wax for the US version, so no problem here like with WYWH. I have a Japanese Pro-Use to compare with...needle dropping the first run right now for an A/B comparison later. Cleaned it with the ol' Okki Nokki first which gave it a bucket of static that I had to fix.

Impressions soon, but so far from the very first track..a little lead in tick that seemed to be bound to a specific part of the record for 3 or 4 revolutions. Vocals ARE forward, bright stuff is bright, bass is full. Initial impressions though, I literally just dropped it on the table minutes ago.

SibilanceSegs likes this.