New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

They’re digital.

2. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

But they do sound good.....

3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

:p

4. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

They do indeed. Honestly, I think I would be hard pressed to identify them as sourced from digital if I didn’t know.

scotth likes this.
  5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

562 pages, huh?

What’s the general consensus on 2011 vs the 2016?
    I have the 2011’s digitally. I heard the 2016 Saucerful version is amazing, specifically Let There Be More Light which I was told was the best sounding thing he had ever heard. Might buy it just for that.

6. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

2016 is the way to go!

7. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

This has probably been answered somewhere, but without having to wade through hundreds of pages: do the recent cd's share the same mastering as the new vinyl, or are they reissues of the 2011 discs?

joshm2286 likes this.
  8. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

the vinyl shares the same mastering with the CDs, but the vinyl sounds better due to the rolled off low end/less congested soundstage/more forgiving EQ...

Sytze likes this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

They are from the same digital source but Bernie tweaks these accordingly before cutting to vinyl.

10. Aaron M Olson

Aaron M Olson Active Member

Hi this is in regards to a previous thread of yours that is now closed for comments...
    Regarding Anthony Moore's album Out, what was the original artwork that you found? I'm trying to track it down myself.
    I spoke with Anthony and he said that the original artwork was by Hipgnosis, but he can't recall what it was exactly.

I'm new to this forum and don't know how to start a private conversation. Apologies for jumping on this one.

bests,
    ao

Sytze likes this.
  11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Hi, the image I found all those years ago has vanished apparently, but the original cover is used in a YouTube clip (see link below).
    So cool that you spoke with Anthony... I'd read in an interview from the 80's that he would be disappointed if 'Out' ever came out... guess he wasn't fond of it. No idea how much input (if at all) he had in the reissue from '97.

Aaron M Olson likes this.
  12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Received Pulse and Relics today. Amazon.ca was right on the nose with this one. I am not a Prime customer and received it on what was advertized as the release date.

Pulse is a massive box, Relics seems a bit on the thin side.

Weekend listening for sure.

Mr_Vinyl and rontoon like this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The back cover of Relics said Made in the US which surprised me as all of the other PF Reissues after the first 4 album reissues(pressed at RTI for US version and Oprimal for EU version) were all pressed by RI in the Netherlands no matter if it was the US or EU versions and none of the prior BG Reissues said 'Made in the US' on the back bottom of the Jacket Cover.

Does is say in the Relics Deadwax where is was pressed, as Discogs does not list this information yet?

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    joshm2286 likes this.
  14. Norco74

Finished Relics side 1, Cirrus minor playing right now. BG did it again! Very enjoyable sonic ride... Quite sure it beats my old Canadian NM copy.

Bring us the BBC on vinyl for Christmas!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  15. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

My copy has the same "Made in the U.S." on the jacket (nice textured jacket, but flimsy like the old UK style) but the vinyl looks to have been pressed at RI. It has 19614 1A/19614 1B in the deadwax, stamped not inscribed as is the RI way.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  16. Norco74

Also has BG and something looking like HZ in the deadwax.

Dead quiet copy, no flaws at all.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I did pick up a copy tonight being a Barnes & Noble Member and Double Discount weekend so 20% off and cost about $22, but did not open it yet until I could get more details on verifying the pressing. I would have been ok, if 'Made and Printed in the USA' meant using RTI like the first 4 reissues, before they switched to RI for the rest of the Reissues, but like I mentioned, seems strange that this has been the only release so far that actually printed 'Made & Printed in the USA' on the bottom of the back cover.

I should have order Pulse from Deep Discount when they had at $67 a few days ago, but but it is $86+ now, so will buy from Amazon.

joshm2286 likes this.
  18. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Wonder if the jacket is a bit different on the European press, slightly different texture or something from being made elsewhere? It looks (and feels) very nice, but it's going to require careful storage to keep it that way. Gonna throw it on...

joshm2286 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

So, if I have the 2011 remasters on digital, is it worth the money to buy all of the '16's on vinyl?
    In particular, how does each version of Saucerful compare?

joshm2286 likes this.
  20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Like many folk I get increasingly confused. I have the 2011 cd box. Are the cds the same as the more recent versions on the Pink Floyd label (cds have different artwork on the disc). The recent cds also include Relics but I believe it is the same as the 94/95 cd - correct?

Re the recent vinyl releases (which I think are excellent and beautifully pressed with great artwork) are they from same/similar sources as the cds but just tweaked a bit for vinyl by BG?

joshm2286 and rontoon like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have a near mint UK Starline pressing of Relics. Does anybody here have this and the new version to compare? I love Relics and like the pressing I have, but if there is a substantial improvement I'd buy the new one. Also, does the new have the vintage Starline labels?

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. Norco74

Same souce as the 2011 CD but as you mentioned, tweaked by BG for vinyl. To my ears, there’s enough sonic differences to get them on vinyl.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

European pressing states "Made and Printed by Optimal".

Rekkerds likes this.
  24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I’ve answered you on the other thread about the label but as to your first question I have an original and now this new one. New one leaves it for dust. I can see it being played at least twice more today. Outstanding is the word I’m reaching for.

joshm2286 and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I’m interested if the new Relics beats in sound quality the tracks it shares with The Masters of Rock LP. Anyone have both. I’d like to hear those early singles in top SQ.

joshm2286 likes this.