New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Nice one, but rather unlikely this'll get a vinyl reissue (IMO).

2. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Strictly speaking, Works isn't part of the Pink Floyd catalogue. It belongs to Capitol. So it's extremely unlikely we will ever see a reissue of this album, on any format.

zinan, andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Interesting, but why? It was reissued in 88 and then again on CD in 94... Did anything changed since?

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Nothing has changed. It's just that Capitol has the rights to this album, and they consider this album to be obsolete. Or so it seems.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  5. Old Zorki II

I see. Perhaps you are correct. But I suspect that Capitol can sell a sizable number of those records, considering it can serve like a fairly perfect "addition" to Foot at the Door. But who knows...

6. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I tried searching around but failed to find an answer, so:

Are there any discernible difference between the 2011 and 2016 masterings of Wish You Were Here? Or are they the same mastering?

pexie and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes and no. The very first run of the 2016 in the US re-used the 2011 stampers, which was the Doug Sax Mastering. (The EU got the new Bermie Grundman cut). But now the US issue has caught up and the version currently in print is the BG as well.

They definitely sound different. The 2011 was more clinical, while the BG is warmer. Both are fantastic.

8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Are you saying that the BG cut partially folds in the stereo image?

9. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I reluctantly picked up new Relics last fall. I already had an original UK and a Harvest US. I am SO glad I picked it up. The sound is fantastic and much better than the formers.

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I was told that the 1994 cd reissue used, for the first time, a stereo version of one track.
    And the original had a mono version. Bike?
    Maybe it was fake stereo?
    Anyone know about this?

11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

No. On my system and to this ears, the soundstage is not as wide as with D.S. cut (both CD and 2011 vinyl). As others pointed out, B.G cut sounds more 3D and bit more "organic".

Regards

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Original had fake stereo for both pre-Piper tracks, 1996 remaster restored the true mono mixes

tug_of_war and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Aha! I knew there was something special about the Sax remaster.
    Thank you.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's not unique to the Sax CD; this is also true of the 2018 vinyl cut by Bernie Grundman

BrentB and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  15. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Read through a good bit of the beginning and tail end of the thread and found a few answers but I still have a few as well on the 2016 reissues. Does anyone know the WYWH release cut by Bellman all have cardboard inner sleeves as a standard?

I was close to pulling the trigger after reading the varying reviews and just going to gamble with QC but it says "printed inner sleeve." I don't want that crap but have no way of knowing how it comes packaged; whether printed inner sleeve necessarily indicates a cardboard liner as I had previously heard about further back in this thread regarding the 2016 reissues.
    Much appreciated, all!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't think it was reissued in 1994. I have seen that on discogs, but there was no remaster, the packaging is the same, and it was the same catalog number and barcode as the 1987 release. (assuming you are talking about Works)

Old Zorki II likes this.
  17. Old Zorki II

Yes, that is were I was looking for. While catalog numbers are the same, CD matrix is different. EAC is different too, but it is probably of little significance.

18. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I didn't know it has alternate mixes. Never cared for it as I thought I had all the tracks on other albums.
    Now I definitely have to check it out.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  19. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It is exactly as it should be: Black poly outer with sticker, 'main sleeve' with man on fire, 'scarf' inner sleeve and postcard.

pexie, mr.dave and tug_of_war like this.
  20. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Thanks! And I meant to say "cut by Bernie Grundman" - not Bellman. :shh:

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

22. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

You couldn't have had all the other tracks on other albums. Embryo exists only on Works, doesn't it?

tug_of_war likes this.
  23. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Yes, but I have it on my own CD-r compilation :D

24. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

You will also find it on CD on the 3rd Volume of EARLY YEARS (1969 - Dramatisation).

(Originally it was first published on a compilation double LP called PICNIC - A breathe of fresh air in 1970).

BrentB and aphexj like this.
  25. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Between the ReRelease of Momentary Lapse of Reason & Final Cut and Sound of Thunder & Dance Songs were round about six months. Another six month passed before we got Pulse & Relics. Foot in the door came a bit earlier with 4 months but I kind of hope that we will get a new Vinyl Release in March.

I really, really wish for a Reissue of Is There Anybody Out There. I mean, Come On its part of the official catalog and there is no version availabe in stores at the moment.

Szeppelin75 likes this.