New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

This. The BG Pulse sounds great until you listen to the 1995 TML and realize how much better it can sound.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  2. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

And even the artwork of the original is better: newer photos in the 2018 book are saturated and the sharpness is excessive.

markmck79 likes this.
  3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

That’s it, I have my 2018 version for sale and will chase a 1995 copy (NOT).

Vinylfindco likes this.
  4. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Fair enough, but I have both and the difference is not subtle.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Choba b CCCP likes this.
  5. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

I didn't have to buy 2018 reissue, but I bought it because I collect the whole remaster 2016~ series, it’s quite good actually.

markmck79 likes this.
  6. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

7. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Me neither. And I was none too bright.

ODShowtime likes this.
  8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

What is the consensus about the EU 2016 Guthrie/Plante/Grundman Wish You Were Here LP?

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I very much like it. It is warmer than the 2011 Sax (which I also enjoy). Alas I still don't have the original UK to compare.

10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I've read somewhere in this thread that it's not exciting

11. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Both are good and I have a preference for the Doug Sax remaster. It sounds similar to a 1970’s Canadian pressing.

Sear and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I buy it anyway because it has the cool package

13. Automatic Changer

Automatic Changer Forum Resident

Re: Animals
    Apologies if replying to a 2016 comment is poor form but a google search got me there as Discogs commentary wasn’t in line with my experience.

picked up DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall this week. (Yet to listen to the latter)

the first 2 needed a clean straight out of the jackets but both play very well. a couple crackles only on each. WYWH in particular very nice.

Animals though… Christ. Marks all over both sides, some crackle and pop on side 1 and side 2 is just a crackle and pop show the whole bloody side. Total distraction.

I don’t like to support Amazon but typically that’s where I make my record purchases in case of something like this (which funnily enough I’ve not had to do) however these PF purchases this week were from an Indie so I guess there’s no return option (assuming they’d have to eat the cost which I wouldn’t in good faith be able to do).

Hoping The Wall is more in line with the first 2.

14. Automatic Changer

Would have been great.

Yes and no.

15. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Good luck.
    Both "Animals" and "The Wall" are the worst pressed of the entire 2016 reissue series. "The Record Industry" in Holland really dropped the ball here.
    I have gone through 3 copies of "The Wall" until I found one that it is acceptable. "Animals" heh. Tried 4 copies and they were all noisy, crackle and pop ridden.

Joti Cover and formu_la like this.
  16. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

There's a version on the Snowy White cd Goldtop (no idea what the mix/mastering/edit is like compared to the 8 track, only ever had/heard that version via a dodgy mp3 )
    Snowy White – Goldtop: Groups & Sessions 1974–1994 (1995, CD)

Slice likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sorry if already posted, but looks like the current BG cut of Animals came just behind the original UK variants in Mike’s shootout. That’s high praise considering this guy is like Fremer normally when rating digital cuts and I feel it influences his opinion sometimes…

Szeppelin75 and hi_watt like this.
  18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

As someone who has both they're not remotely close.

The 2016 is what it is.... It's a very clinical sound, and it does kinda work for what's inherently a cold, dark album. It's also better than the somewhat harsh U.S. press I once had. (A barcode press, not an original.)

But the UK is really something else. I think his rating says more about the lack of other quality Animals pressings than the BG itself. (I will say the BG is quieter than my UK?)

Max Florian, markmck79 and hi_watt like this.
  19. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Perhaps they should remix Animals...

superstar19 and jonnyslb like this.
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah I’m not disputing that…I don’t fancy hunting a quiet UK original though :sigh:

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I got lucky with mine about a year back, really good price, not perfect but the bulk of it plays really quiet. The usual parts at the opening of Sheep get a little noisy. I was ordering other records from a UK store, a few were overgraded but this was a VG+ that cleaned up nicely.

richbdd01 likes this.
  22. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I also got lucky I guess. I bought the 2016 Animals about 6 months ago to replace a mid 90's Canadian reissue. My 2016 is pretty well perfect.

Szeppelin75 and DrZhivago like this.
  23. Automatic Changer

Still haven’t listened to The Wall but Animals cleaned many times and whilst Side 1 acceptable, Side 2 is a lost cause. The indie retailer I purchased from has no problem accepting a return but by their own admission won’t get reimbursed by the distributor and their recovery will be in part by selling it as second-hand.

I find both situations unacceptable. A retailer should be able to return a poor pressing. A poor pressing shouldn’t also be passed off onto the used market knowingly (at hardly a cheap cost) to some other poor bugger.

I’m inclined to keep it for a frisbee over the summer and perhaps try my luck with Amazon, who I won’t care about returning if it’s dodgy. Don’t like to support Amazon as a rule but the dodgy vinyl industry quality makes it hard to blindly support the indies.

JP Christian and DrZhivago like this.
  24. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

I have the 2016 reissue of Animals and The Wall. I believe both are fine (been a while since I listened to them), maybe a few crackles here and there.

For me, Amazon is my preferred place to buy LPs due to the easy return policy if there is a pressing issue. I’m usually buying online anyway. Only have 1 or 2 local stores and don’t get there much.

25. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

You’ve taken me back to a fairly frustrating period of return the record five year ago. It’s no wonder people go all digital!