New PIXIES record for 2019!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sans_matty, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

My Newbury Comics exclusive signed edition shipped yesterday! Kinda funny when you think about it! Lol.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

And................ it shipped and should be with me tomorrow.

Been playing some Pixies tonight as a pre-cursor. There must be a few thousand "signed" copies out there. :D

theshape likes this.
  3. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Lol. Possibly! I just found it funny that more than one site was calling it an exclusive item. As for the thousands of signatures... I have to commend Pixies (or any band) who goes to that length. Pretty awesome undertaking! :righton:

4. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Did anyone buy the high-resolution version of this yet? If so, how's the sound quality on this one? HDTracks is selling the @ $19.99 for 38 minutes of music. It wold need to be a pretty substantial improvement, at that rate.

Vaughan likes this.
  5. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Wow! That opening song really hit me hard! Got me kinda misty eyed honestly... great song and great opener! :righton:

DTK likes this.
  6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's the same mastering as the CD, ie. very hot and heavy, not bad but not substantially better either

PhantomStranger and oneway23 like this.
  7. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The last couple songs remind me of Frank’s Honeycomb LP. I like how this record starts out pretty wild and ends on a softer note

8. Warszawa

Warszawa Forum Resident

The first track got my hopes up but on first listen this is another record to add to the long list of interesting Frank Black projects and not a return to the Pixies I adore. That's fine though, I'd be listening to and enjoying this record if it was another band. Kim made the right decision though.

twicks likes this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Can you put your finger on what's missing? Would the Pixies sound like the Pixies of old if they had continued on all these years?

Mind you, I have a bias. I really don't need any more Pixies albums. I do want more Frank Black albums though, since I've enjoyed his solo work more than the Pixies stuff. He's a great writer, imo.

Koabac and stef1205 like this.
  10. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

IMO the pixies have always been primarily a Frank Black project. He’s the main songwriter and guided their aesthetic from the start. He’s going to keep writing as he does regardless of who is playing with him. What usually separates the band from his solo projects to me is Joey’s guitar. And Joey does some great stuff all over this record.

11. Warszawa

Warszawa Forum Resident

Same thing that was missing from the other two I guess, the raw energy of youth, the screaming feral lyrics and wild guitar. If they'd kept going we might have ended up here anyway but that was never going to happen.

You might like this. It's very reminiscent of some of his solo work, particularly the second side.

Jarra Lad likes this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I love "Los Surfers Muertos", best song of the ones Paz co-wrote for sure

DTK and theshape like this.
  13. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

After listening somewhat to the new podcasts (so boring) and some of the released snippets of tracks.... I am just not digging it. Regrettably, this might be the first release I don't buy.

I am very glad I saw the original lineup back in '04.

14. Warszawa

Warszawa Forum Resident

Protip: The download code in the deluxe set sends a link for the mp3's to your email. If you change "mp3" in the link to "flac" you can download the lossless version.

Saved me ripping the CD and might work for other vinyl versions.

15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Don't need to re-live the "glory years." I have those albums & can listen anytime. I know the legacy is insurmountable, and, as fans, we expect so much because of it, but can't we just happy to have an audio document of where they are now, in 2019? I'd rather have these last few records than not.

Koabac, stef1205, Goatboy and 3 others like this.
  16. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I certainly am! I've been playing it over and over all morning! :righton:

punkmusick, oneway23 and DTK like this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I had this exact conversation with a record store clerk. She mentioned the idiotic Pitchfork review of "Indie Cindy" and we just couldn't understand...if ya like Doolittle, ffs listen to Doolittle!

Really excited for the new album after listening to the full podcast series. I thought the podcast was great and it gave me good insight into the process.

Koabac, oneway23, theshape and 2 others like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

There are some fans that will never be happy. Charles said in a recent interview that he was perfectly fine with that and go listen to something else. He still had ti endure endless interview questions about Kim but takes in with good humour.

Also, important to remember that, as already said, Pixies were always Charles' band with the addition of the distinctive playing from Joey and a lesser degree David. And whoever is playing root bass notes with a plectrum and singing the occasional backup vocal, which Paz nails.

For me, it's clear they are putting a lot of energy and grafting into each new record to make it as good as possible, very clear on the podcast. I think there are very few bands who have made such a credible comeback on record. Soundgarden...Peter Perrett...I dunno, it's a very short list.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Koabac, ghoulsurgery and Kevin j like this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'd throw dino j on that list!

Lamus, ghoulsurgery and DTK like this.
  20. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Glad there are still some like-minded fans out there!

Look, think we can all agree that everyone loves Kim (maybe some of us a little too much ;) ), but, let's not forget that it was Kim who didn't want to make another record.

I understand not wanting to risk bringing up those old wounds, I don't blame her at all! That's a big reason why a lot of these older bands are content to just play out live. It's a whole different ball when you have the friction inherent in a creative environment.

What're the rest of the band supposed to do if they all unanimously want to continue? Are they supposed to roll over and die?

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Absolutely, I just forgot to remember them. Excellent comeback. Suede too.

twicks likes this.
  22. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Good choices. The Faith No More record, Sol Invictus, was awesome also, IMO

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes. Again according to a recent interview there was always friction between the three guys and Kim Deal and then for a short while Kim Shattuck, but Paz Lechantin fits in smoothly personality-wise in addition to being a great musician. And that's of course very important when a band slogs it out on the road an especially in a cramped studio (vibes were so bad that Kim was fired but then reinstated before recording Bossanova, and on Trompe Le Monde the members mostly recorded their parts separately).

punkmusick, theshape and oneway23 like this.
  24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Exactly! Some fans like to imagine that these bands exist in some kind of ideal capsule and that they are making music solely for our enjoyment. We, as fans, of course, we're part of the equation, sure, but, these are real people, living their lives, who happen to be musicians.

There's a 60% divorce rate in the US, right? Imagine that, add two or three more personalities into the mix, and go try driving around the world in a bus or sweaty van for 6-8 months out of any given year.

Amazing anyone stays together at all!

DTK likes this.
  25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The Dino Jr reunion records are some of my favorites. I thought MBV and Slowdive made some great reunion music too.

oneway23, youngchoulin and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.