New Prince Album: ORIGINALS [June 7th streaming on Tidal; June 21st CD]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

What it is is a reason to buy the CD there instead of my local.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yeah. We will know soon enough if the bonus track is worth looking out for :)

Right now, I will go for the deluxe version. Mainly because of the 24 page booklet.
    That set will be released in a month, so I have plenty of time to read the first reviews for the bonus track...

Jmac1979 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Yeah, that’s rubbish, for real

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Is there a link for the deluxe set that mentions the 24-page booklet? I’m thinking of changing to the deluxe.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

It will be nice if the booklet comes with an albums and 12”s artwork poster. That would be a classy touch

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i would guess the reason would be if you want a different version than the one on the regular CD.

mBen989 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. CBackley

Never mind. Looks like we can’t cancel or modify pre-orders anyway. I’ll be sticking with the white vinyl.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Given this release's stupid staggered release dates across platforms and formats, it will be hard to find anyone who hasn't already ripped this off so far

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

For this type of archive release it feels plain wrong to have to shell out for a deluxe vinyl + CD package to get a booklet?

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just sampled the tracks on ITunes. Wow this is fantastic! Fully fleshed out songs with full instrumentation. Some mirror the originals if Prince played everything (or most everything) like Jungle Love and Glamorous Life. I assume they just bumped up his background/demo vocals to lead vocals for tracks like that as he was on those songs to begin with. I will be running out to try and find the Target version today. This is no Piano / Vocal Part 2 for sure!

11. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

»Dear Michelangelo »is a keeper.
    Made me immediately think of David Bowie « Blackstar » album’s mood, particularly near the end.
    That good

turnersmemo and CBackley like this.
  12. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Amazon has not shipped my CD yet. New arrival date 06/28-07/01 ??????

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

CBackley likes this.
  14. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I don't have a physical version yet, but are there any significant liner notes? I'm interested in the details of these performances/mixes, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they withhold a lot of that info. "Wouldn't You Love to Love Me" is supposedly from its '81 studio session, according to PrinceVault, but I'm not convinced. To me, it sounds a few years earlier than that, due to the overall audio quality and a few stylistic choices in the playing. If this is from '81, he was definitely re-creating certain earlier aspects of his style. There's a '76 version and a '78 version -- I would have assumed this is the '78 one, but I've been wrong before.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. CBackley

It’s totally wrong. Especially when I don’t recall seeing anything about a booklet or lack of booklet when the pre-orders first went up AND the official Prince store doesn’t let you modify or cancel per-orders. I would have purchased the deluxe set to get the booklet in the off chance that it was something worth having. Now I’ll get the white vinyl but basic packaging. Yes, I’ll live. But it’s just annoying and unnecessary.

Mr Olsen and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Have any of you fine gentlemen and ladies listened to the CD version yet? Any thoughts on the sound quality?

I am holding out for the vinyl, but I might be persuaded to jump for the CD if it sounds really good.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Does the deluxe set have the bonus track, that's on the Target CD
    Thanks

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

19. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

It’s from June 1981
    [​IMG]

Willie McTell, mjb, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  20. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I don’t think it is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I haven't listened to any streams yet (apart from the one near our village), so I'm really looking forward the grabbing the CD of this release.

22. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Thanks

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I've just finished listening to the Target version. Very happy with it, although for what it's worth there's not really much different between the regular version of Nothing Compares 2 U and the Cinematic Mix bonus track. My first impression is that the vocal track seems to be identical. The Cinematic Mix starts out a cappella until some synthesized strings come in and then it seems to be the regular version with the strings overdubbed. I'm glad to have both although I'd objectively say it's for completists only.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

A “Manic Monday” video is available to view on Apple Music (sorry no link, I don’t have a subscription).

Apparently it’s just rehearsal footage again, just like NC2U.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.