New Record Day Review of Tekton Impacts good thing or bad thing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Manimal, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident Thread Starter

A train wreck of a review I think. Would love opinions on this.

displayname likes this.
  2. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

This was a rough one for me, as I own a pair myself. I've always liked Ron's videos. I respect his observations, and the measurements speak for themselves. However, the first 15 minutes of it were completely unnecessary. I found it a bit tacky to be discussing emails between himself and Tekton. I do agree that the owner jumped the gun on pulling the speakers, and it makes me wonder if there really is something wrong with the speakers, even if I can't hear it.

Some things to note:
    - He stated he couldn't find the floor spikes, and they didn't come with speakers. For me, they were stashed in a piece of styrofoam at the top of the box, very easy to miss, and i bet they are in there.
    - I do not have the same problem with electric guitars as he states, in fact, they sound awesome.
    - The bracing issue is a fair complaint. To be honest, I have never noticed any issues with resonance in the low frequencies. I ended up making a set of outriggers and using Herbies feet to help keep the speaker stable since I have kids running around, an unexpected side effect was that its significantly cleaned up the low end and made the mid-bass come alive. Maybe it helped to hamper that effect.
    - My impacts came with Cardas binding posts as standard, not the parts express specials he has.
    - You can still get a pair if you call and ask.

3. Manimal

I think the owner was in damage control. He paid Ron for the interview by the way, and was in OS mode. Anyway, yea.

4. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Yea, it’s not a good look, esp. by NRD.

Manimal and SirMarc like this.
  5. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Ouch! That was painful to watch. I think he seriously shot himself in the foot with this one. I cant imagine too many manufacturers will want to send him any review samples after that train wreck of a review.

I generally like his reviews, but I must say that I like his old reviews better. He's trying to cater to too many audiences with the sound clips, which are stupid in my book, measurements and subjective impressions. Yikes!

6. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Yep.... Ask a manufacturer to pay for a review, then throw it back in their face. If he was that remorseful about it, he could have just given the money back. Not to mention that he has been sitting on these speakers for almost a year

DonnyMe, displayname and Manimal like this.
  7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yeah man, not cool. I will say, it was the first passive aggressive review I've ever seen lol.

8. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

An all around hot mess

9. Manimal

Train Wreck for sure.

DonnyMe, displayname and bluesaddict like this.
  10. lonelysea

lonelysea Forum Crustacean

Couldn’t watch more than five minutes of that guy talking.

Manimal, bluesaddict and macster like this.
  11. Fruff76

Honestly, I’ve never heard of his site, so I find it baffling that a speaker manufacturer would scrap a product based on one reviewer. It’s not even like it’s Stereophile or the absolute sound.

12. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Yep, and his response in the comments section of the video isn’t doing him any favors. I enjoy his product, but this has me shaking my head.

13. Fruff76

I’ll have to go back and read those.

14. Fruff76

Oh boy, that’s bad.

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I prefer the written word for anything remotely technical or detailed- it allows me to re-read and think about it, focus on critical passages or flip back and forth. Perhaps I'm dating myself because I know a lot of instruction manuals and 'help'/support is done through video.
    But, 42 minutes of a guy talking?
    I tried to fast forward through it to get the gist (something I can do easily with written prose), but it was impossible.
    Question: is there an audience for such long 'talking head' (singular as far I could tell) videos? I thought nobody had an attention span anymore. I certainly don't. And I apologize for what may appear to be a thread crap, since i'm not addressing the content or substance, but I'm actually more interested in whether people find such long videos of someone talking-- in an offhand way- (not exactly a Shakespearean actor treading the boards)- to be of interest. In short, too long (for me).

sfoclt likes this.
  16. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

His older videos were not nearly as drawn out, they did have a candid feel which I did like. This is his first attempt at reinventing the reviewing wheel, and it came up a bit short. He could have achieved the same thing in half of the time if he wanted to

DonnyMe likes this.
  17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Thanks, and for not scorching me for my comments. Never heard the speaker, know of it, and its reputation as a 'bang for the buck' product.

18. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

It’s a valid point. NRD is generally not loved around here for exactly the points you indicated.

If anything positive comes from this, I hope it’s that Tekton starts publishing measurements. It’s been a common complaint amongst many of the naysayers over the past handful of years

displayname likes this.
  19. Fruff76

And also stop yanking product due to potentially semi negative comments. Actually, as with almost all reviews, it wasn’t that bad. I kind of thought the whole part about them being great for newcomers and maybe not the best for advanced audiophiles more or the same. If you find a fault, quickly make sure it’s all going to be ok. Most reviews are absolutely useless.

The designer throwing a tantrum over that is just weird. I’d probably stay away from those speakers after seeing that. Also, I won’t go out of my way to watch any reviews on that channel.

Could you imagine Klipsch pulling the Forte 3 over the possibility of a “sacrificial lamb” review? Seriously, how much time, effort, testing, and development goes into these things. What it tells me is not much from Tekton when you can just scrap the whole thing over some semi amateur reviewer.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That was just fine. Really. It's fine.

SirMarc and Fruff76 like this.
  21. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I also came away thinking it was mostly positive. You just have to sift through the junk to get there.

Hopefully this just goes away and doesn’t get dragged out by either party. Every time I see a comment, I can hear the resale value of my speakers dropping

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    displayname, Manimal and Fruff76 like this.
  22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

High efficiency and full range at that price? Of course there are going to be some compromises.

This needed some context.

23. Fruff76

45 min review and we get, “it’s fine”:blah:

displayname likes this.
  24. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

His review is amateurish and inept. I've never seen so much back pedalling and CYA in a review. He demands to be paid? I can't believe the owner of Tekton agreed to any of this.

displayname and KT88 like this.
  25. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

A refreshingly honest review. Bravo!!!