New Record Day Review of Tekton Impacts good thing or bad thing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Manimal, Aug 5, 2019.

1. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

I have never heard or owned Tekton speakers so I have no horse in this race. My impression about them from what I have read is that they can be very polarizing. I have an acquaintance who heard them at a show and got overly impressed so he decided to order a pair, don't remember which model exactly.
    When he received the speakers he did not like the way they sounded in his room and tried to return them. The return wasn't as easy as you would think. He had to go emailing and arguing back and forth with Eric. I don't remember all the details but from what I remember Eric did not like my friend's opinion about the speakers, was trying to persuade him to keep them by implying that there was something wrong with his system and room and overall he gave him a very hard time. Ron's review reminded me that story.

Now the review itself was very amateuristic and unprofessional IMO. Things like I showed the graphs to some engineer friends of mine and they agreed that they are bad is not something that shows credibility. Or his reading of the charts, it seemed to me that he had no idea what to do with them. His tone throughout the review being passive aggressive is also something that I did not like.
    I was familiar with his channel previously and had watched some of his videos which I found ok but based on that latest one, I won't be watching any more of this channel.

Fruff76 likes this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, sounds to me he got paid for the review and it went to crap with the manufacturer ( argument) and Ron used it as an “ honest” review.

SirMarc, dennem and Fruff76 like this.
  3. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

Basically the same as dealing with Odyssey - doesn't take any criticism well.

5-String likes this.
  4. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

To me, it seems like Ron was completely pissed off by Eric and made this third episode in an act of revenge. He may have said some positive things about the speakers in this review, but his tone is telling me he is really struggling with finding proper words. I think his actual thoughts are these speakers are total crap, unlistenable, harsh, not worth the money, unless you are a hipster, who prefers design and color to the sound. So his review is strongly negative – at least this was my impression.

displayname likes this.
  5. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

In regards to customer service, I would say they are much better than Odyssey, at least from what I heard of folks having to deal with Odyssey.

I had a couple of issues with the speakers I bought from Tekton, and they always responded promptly to emails and phone calls. But...I never attempted to send back the speakers

Now taking criticism, that’s a whole different story.

Helom and 5-String like this.
  6. Subagent

Subagent All I know is What I Read in the Liner Notes

Gracious, what a kerfuffle! It would be sadly funny, or maybe funnily sad, if it weren't for the fact that livelihoods and reputations are affected. As it is, it is all just very unfortunate.

dennem likes this.
  7. RH67

RH67 Well-Known Member

I was in the industry myself for many decades, designing and manufacturing speakers, amps and turntables. During my time in the industry i had the opportunity to be around many designers and owners of audio products most are very protective and proud of their products and designs i have seen and heard much worse than what Eric has said or done, some of these mad geniuses march to a different drummer and that`s ok with me. Some owners and designers i do not want to be around for more than a couple of minutes or much worse things are said when your back is turned, at least with Eric you know what your getting up front.

Regarding Tekton speakers i own the Double Impacts (upgraded version) and with my background and experience in the speaker industry i find them to be outstanding in sound reproduction and being a speaker designer myself at one time i tip my hat to Eric. My dealings with Tekton have always been up front and promises that were made were kept so my experience with both the product and company have been stellar.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't claim to know much about Tekton, but I know this - if your business model is to sell factory direct with a "60 day risk free trial", you HAVE to take them back no questions asked, that's how that game works, period. Will you inevitably get some non-serious folks who just wanted a toy to play with for 59 days? Maybe a few, that's also part of the game. If the reality is a lot of hemming and hawing and having to justify your decision, the guy deserves to be blasted for it.

freesole, timind, Slimwhit33 and 4 others like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

The review makes both parties look bad. Not a fan of YT gear reviews. Seems like NRD figured out pretty quickly here that asking to be paid by the manufacturer for reviews is getting into murky waters. Plenty of YT reviewers and sites do it I'm sure. 6Moons is one example.

As for the speakers themselves - never heard a pair and I'm not the target market for them. I know that for $2K I would expect some bracing inside the cabinets. I understand that other folks might not care about that.

10. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Tekton posted up their Impact graphs on their Facebook owners group. It’s turned into a bit of a dumpster fire, so I’ll save any interested person here the hassle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

displayname likes this.
  11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of that review. I tried working with the designer at Tekton a few years ago for a pair of speakers, and dealing with him was less than, er, satisfactory. He didn't deliver anything within a year's time, and then I had to become rather a pain in the **** to get him to admit 1. he'd made no progress on my speakers during the time he had my down payment, and 2. then get him to refund said down payment.

patient_ot and displayname like this.
  12. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

He says they’re fine

13. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

If you watch the second video, with the sound clips, you get a better impression of what he really thinks. I can’t imagine that the final video was not somewhat influenced by his interaction with Eric.

14. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

I think Tekton is a good example of the difficulty of running a business when you're the owner/designer/customer service/pr/etc.. How can you be the "mad genius" who believes he created the next best thing since fill-in-the-blank and also believe a customer who believes otherwise? Eric's marketing material makes clear his point of view and his rebuttals to critiques of his speakers around various parts of the internet make clear that he will defend his point of view--for better and for worse.

I own a pair of his speakers and I'm pleased with them. The Lore Reference, to me, are a budget speaker that offer tremendous value. But I went into the transaction ready to wait longer than I'd been told (I did end up having to wait), have a difficult time returning them if I was unhappy with them, and expect them to have very little resale value because at the time (about 5 years ago) Eric's reputation had already taken a hit on the internet. I was willing to take the risk for the amount of money the speakers were. Now, to be fair, Eric was pretty nice on the phone the couple of times I talked to him--before and after ordering and responded to my emails about setup a few months after I'd taken delivery. All this said, I don't think I would buy a pair of speakers from him again because there are too many interesting options for high efficiency speakers once you go up the price ladder.

As for the review, I couldn't get through it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Fruff76, displayname and RH67 like this.
  15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

No one in the Cult of Klaus will ever admit that.

Helom likes this.
  16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I agree, and think he should have just scrapped the last video, given back the money and chalked it up as a learning experience. He then could have explained it to his fans in vague terms if he had to...

17. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

The FR graph looks really nice nothing like that one that Ron showed in the video. You can also compare with John Atkinson's in Stereophile that also looks beautiful.

Tekton Design Impact Monitor loudspeaker Measurements

18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Wow, train wreck is definitely one word for it. Can't believe I sat through all 42 minutes! I think both parties come out looking bad.

Some people here are saying the review actually ended up being not that bad or fairly positive (or fine, just fine!). I didn't think so at all. Yes, he may have surrounded the bad news with good news - that's because he's either a) trying to soften the blow as most audio reviews do, or b) maybe the speaker does have a lot of redeeming characteristics.

But, as an audiophile, am I inclined to buy this speaker after this review? A review that listed the following:

- a hard midrange, audible primarily with electric guitar
    - resonance issues, visible at many different frequencies

It probably won't be at the top of my list. I don't take what reviewers say as gospel, preferring to listen and decide for myself, but you have to narrow down the options at some point.

I would give Ron credit for what he did in some ways:

- I think this was an attempt to be as up front and open as possible about being paid and what happened to the speaker, since it has disappeared off of Tekton's site. That said, if he determined at some point that he shouldn't be paid for his reviews, I think he should have returned Eric's money. But having said that, I think it's irrelevant that the review wasn't glowing. Should Eric expect a rave review because he paid the reviewer? That's where things would have become unethical, not that the review was paid for in the first place.
    - Ron probably shouldn't have shared his email conversations with Eric, but I guess it depends on what you think should happen when you converse with what is essentially the media, and what expectations you were provided/agreed to.
    - I think I'd be more inclined to actually watch NRD videos after this. I like the fact that Ron is doing measurements and that he is going into a lot more detail than many other reviewers are. I mean, he looked inside the speaker for bracing, at the drivers, at the crossover, and he was extremely detailed with what he was hearing. That said, the video should have been much shorter. A lot less babbling and repeating things would have been appreciated. I think the review was definitely influenced by his interactions with Eric, but a lot of what he said can be verified (the measurements, the lack of cabinet bracing, speaker parts used, etc.). And he did give credit for a lot of things. So I think he tried to distance himself from the emotions involved and I don't find myself thinking he is being overly biased with his findings. Though he is definitely upset at everything.

More thoughtful and much more useful info than other popular You Tube reviewers give. But yeah, good luck to him getting review samples going forward! Though I do agree with him, that criticism should be expected and should roll off a manufacturer's back. Most companies would not kill a product because of one or two comments about what it could do better, and had all of that not happened the tone of the review may have been completely different. Certainly all of that drama would have been missing. I think I have to watch the initial impressions video. Seems that's where things went south, as Eric initially didn't mind the hard midrange comment when it was first mentioned in their email exchange.

Lucca90 and HiFi Guy like this.
  19. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

That would have been the smart move for sure.

That's not the same speaker at all though. I think if Ron is going to do measurements he needs to explain how he is doing them (maybe he already has, but if not then he should). He did say he believes that his measurements can be trusted at a certain frequency and above (think it was 750Hz, suggesting to me that he thinks his room may be impacting things below this frequency).

20. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

Agreed.

21. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I watched the whole video when it first came out. Honestly a day later I don’t even remember the high points or low points of the speaker. I do remember all the drama between them. And the reading the emails into the camera... not a fan of that.

I’m sure they’ll both bounce back in no time. Ron does decent interviews, so hopefully we’ll see more of that. I also hope he starts giving GR Research less screen time. Nothing against them, but it’s starting to feel very biased and I doubt it’s encouraging to other manufacturers at this point.

Helom and SirMarc like this.
  22. RH67

RH67 Well-Known Member

I agree customer service and PR should be left to a YES man.

I bought the Double Impacts with the intention to just hear what they sounded like fully intending to send them back. But something happened.... i really liked them they do everything really well, tone and balance are exceptional and they will reveal everything from the source good or bad they will not color or mask the signal being sent to them, they will reveal a systems weakness.

I still had my Devore Gibbon X`s during my first few months of owning the DI`s and they held their own against the X`s at a fraction of the price thus i sold the X`s. The DeVores are great speakers and i have owned several models so no knock against them but at five times the price of the DI`s i could not justify keeping them.

23. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

So NOTHING in the review was true, have we justified it away as total BS now because some own the speaker? :angel::winkgrin: Was there anything true?

Maybe someone objective can take the middle ground and point out what parts were fact and which were fiction............?

Tekton is indeed a polarizing company, and this was again seen here - in the end it just makes it that much more difficult to understand what is true, or the facts.

24. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

If his videos had stuck strictly to his opinion, I would have trusted it. The problem is all of the other unnecessary drama he attached to it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

Trying to understand, please bare with me ---- So you thought it was factual and accurate, yet because of the drama the facts became null and void? I don't understand...... facts are facts, and fiction is fiction......... sometimes we have to look through personality and emotion to glean them.

I think you just said because of his tactics, you discounted what you thought was factual? But open to correction if I misinterpreted.