New Record Day Review of Tekton Impacts good thing or bad thing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Manimal, Aug 5, 2019.

1. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

:-popcorn:

macster likes this.
  2. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

You re right, even if it has the exact same name and I believe it costs the same, it does not look the same. This is another problem that I have with Tekton, so many different designs, so many modifications on the designs too often too soon.

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

You're about two pages too late.

timind likes this.
  4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Exactly, I’m getting confused here. I see many reviews etc of the “Impact” but it looks different. The other reviews seem positive Hometheaterreview, Steve Gutenberg etc. who the hell knows what’s up with them.

TheVinylAddict and 5-String like this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

There is a ring of truth here for me from personal experience - last year when I was speaker shopping, I became inquisitive on the Electron series. There were specs that said it had a 6'5" woofer, then I contacted Tekton and they said, no that it had changed to an 8" woofer. (Don't recall the sizes exactly, going off memory and might be incorrect on the numbers, but the story is the same). At that point in time the Electron hadn't been out all that long, and didn't have any real reviews. But OK....

Well - it went even further - when I expressed an interest and contacted Tekton, I was told that the Electron specs were irrelevant, and that if I paid $1000 more I could get a "special" version of the Electrons he was building that was a new and revolutionary design, and the price was a steal. Being someone that struggles to buy without documentation, when I asked for specs, component details, became hesitant / skeptical -- but then I was met with a cold shoulder from Tekton, and then backed out looked elsewhere.

I think these points above are very relevant.

6. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

Yeah, the particular model that Ron reviewed is not on Tekton's website and I cannot find it anywhere :confused: I think it was redesigned and replaced by the one Stereophile reviewed.

7. Fruff76

That’s because Tekton pulled it with the intuition that Ron might potentially make it his “sacrificial lamb”

5-String likes this.
  8. RH67

RH67 Well-Known Member

NRD and ZF are both doing YouTube videos for money. In a video that they did together several months back which by the way was taken off YouTube after only a day or two they explained why not as doing this takes a lot of their time??

As anyone who has been in this hobby for awhile any review should be taken with a grain of salt, the only way to know how a product sounds is to hear it yourself period. There was a reviewer during the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s who worked for a major mag at the time who based his reviews totally on his measurements of the product he was reviewing, most did not know that he had no hearing in one ear and bad hearing in the other, his assumption was that if it measured good it had to sound good. I know this because i was friends with said person.

nosliw and timind like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Forum Resident

I gotta ask - Why would any of your watch this loser? o_O

Monty12 and timind like this.
  10. dennem

dennem Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Reviews only good for short-listing the components you might be interested in and planning to audition yourself. Everyone has different systems, rooms, ears, and music tastes, so it’s no surprise that often a component you brought home sounds very different to what you read in a review.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    RH67 likes this.
  11. Fruff76

It’s the only way to know what’s going on.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

For the same reason people watch that guy over in Singapore (HiFiVinylNews or something like that) --- because it's there, and people watch it!!!

Better yet -- many believe it, and some even take it as gospel. It's a very powerful tool, sometimes unfortunately.

bluemooze, HiFi Guy and timind like this.
  13. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Sorry, but I am not the best communicator. I have been just as critical of Eric's behavior in his handling of all of this, and you can read that in my previous posts. I have lost a little of respect for both involved.

The only thing in the video that can be stated as a fact is the parts, material, and construction. How the speakers sound is his opinion, which can vary depending on the listener.

nosliw, Fruff76 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  14. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

What is the use of a 42 minute paid video review of a product that is no longer on the market?

:confused::confused::confused:

15. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

Tekton has smoothing turned on (which removes the resonance blips). Otherwise it’s exactly the same. He doesn’t know how to use Clio so clearly all his past measurements mean nothing and it looks like NRD was dead on the money with testing.

HiFi Guy and timind like this.
  16. TheVinylAddict

Fair enough, understood, and why I asked the way I did. Even if you would have said "Yes" unequivocally I still would have respected your answer and opinion.

Personally, first off never trying a Tekton speaker personally, and having only one dealing with Eric, I don't have enough experience with the actual product to bash or praise the product. I will say my dealings with Eric were interesting, and did not end on a positive note, and he seemed a tad volatile and defensive without much prodding.

17. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up. I refrained from commenting on these as I wasn't sure if that was the case. Someone pointed that out on the facebook page, and Eric has not responded to it yet.

18. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I haven't read all of the posts in the this thread, so pardon if I am repeating thoughts previously expressed. It seems to me Ron learned a hard lesson, don't take money for reviews. We've all read enough audio mags where reviews were questionable because of the potential for compromise on the reviewers part. As far as Tekton is concerned as a manufacturer, I haven't heard any of their speakers and after this drama I am not sure I'd ever consider them. Eric should never have responded directly and made his thoughts public. It's best to leave that to people skilled in those areas. It doesn't paint a good picture. And, I understand his need to defend his product but if this is the tone he sets publicly, I'm sure internally he is probably a nightmare. Just my thoughts.

nosliw likes this.
  19. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Not sure about that. The Stereophile review was posted over one year ago. My impression is that all of this NRD stuff happened more recently.

Interesting post below. Why have so many models, changing all the time, if you designed a speaker that made all other speakers obsolete? :o

Hilariously innacurrate advertising - Post your examples.

Personally, I wouldn't touch their speakers with a 10 ft pole.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

Hey, where is Mr. Pendragon?

timind likes this.
  21. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

The speaker reviewed in Stereophile is the Impact Monitor, which is a smaller bookshelf version. A different speaker with a different array.

The Impact was pulled from Tekton's website about a week ago. It was a reaction to the review they new was coming.

22. TheVinylAddict

Tekton continues to be a very polarizing speaker........ and company.......... and topic.

I know when I was looking at speakers, it was a big reason I didn't take a chance --- too much uncertainty and too many people with not so high opinions on the matter.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  23. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The speaker reviewed in Stereophile is not this speaker's replacement (and definitely not the speaker that Ron reviewed). But thanks for confirming when the floorstander was pulled. It wasn't all that clear for those of us who have not been following this.

24. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

Yes, thank you, makes sense now!

25. lonelysea

lonelysea Forum Crustacean

Tekton: How many tweeters would you like with your speaker?
    Tekton customer: Yes.

k4rstar, Robert C, cadeallaw and 4 others like this.