New Record Day Review of Tekton Impacts good thing or bad thing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Manimal, Aug 5, 2019.

1. RWBadley

RWBadley Forum Resident

Thank you Sir, May I have another?!

beowulf and timind like this.
  2. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Forum Resident

On another forum,tekton has a huge fan boy presence. Literally page after page. Multiple threads. I noticed within the last few days, these threads seem to have lost some steam. Now I know why.
    I have never heard any tekton speakers. After seeing some of the behavior of said fan boys, I have absolutely no interest in hearing them. It amazes me how volatile of a topic this company has become. In part,I think it may be because of the way the owner has chimed in. This is definitely not a person,or company I would choose to do business with. Just my 2 cents.

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

You know things are awry when your wife says "it's fine"...

googlymoogly, 33na3rd and Fruff76 like this.
  4. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

You should see the Tekton Owners Facebook group, they’re eating each other. I’m starting to get embarrassed that I bought these

5. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

This review was more entertaining than the drivel published by Sterephile and TAS.

Robert C, nosliw, F1nut and 1 other person like this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

Parasound P6 (I used to own the P5), then the Parasound A21 (still my power amp), Lounge LCR Tube (I own the prototype still - Robert has mentioned yours) -------- you have great gear taste, and made great choices everywhere else!

I mean how do the Impacts SOUND? Isn't that what it really is about? I already know you are a discerning customer that can recognize and won't deal with something that has a problem?

7. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The only two worse words are “go ahead.

displayname, Fruff76 and RWBadley like this.
  8. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

The flow of events...

Ron had “issues” he brought up to Tekton months ago. Tekton tried to get forceful and controlling, then after filming was almost done, said they made changes to the speaker and implied the “issues” were not issues anymore, but even still were not issues at first... ?! Then refilming happened to address this. Further issues arose and Tekton said they are killing the speaker over the “harsh” upper midrange comment, unless Ron was to change his mind. Then a bunch of “woe is me” drama was laid on Ron as a last ditch effort. So he had a choice....his viewers were waiting forever to get this review, and the owner was trying to strong arm the review. The biggest mistake was sharing the email content. Tekton would have sank their ship on their own had he left it out, but he felt his viewers wanted an explanation as to why the review was taking forever. Also, when buying speakers, you are buying into the company also, and a proper review almost owes it to show the person running the company who will be handling your service if you ever need it in the future. It was a bad idea, but he did it.

Now Tekton is on a war path with false information he knew was coming ahead of time. Nothing was bait and switch. In fact, Tektons owner intentionally turned on smoothing and even change the ohm scale to make Ron’s measurements look wrong, but they were in fact the exact same.

Drama is the best isn’t it?

9. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Forum Resident

Would you spend your hard earned cash from someone that behaves like this??

10. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Hard to know what the truth is, but I would guess this is probably close to it.

While I think the smart move may have been just not doing the review, that would also have been the easy way out. To post it, knowing what was likely to come, is something you'd do if you had a strong conviction that you were doing the right thing. For him to admit that he was wrong about wanting to be paid for his reviews is also a point in his favor.

11. TheVinylAddict

Well, now we've heard a version of the story from a "Ron supporter". :angel::righton::cheers::winkgrin:

I am not sticking up for Tekton (or Ron for that matter) but am a firm believer in accuracy and objectivity if someone wants to recount the chain of events. Which, obviously in a case like this, will be very tough to get at this point. How are you in a position to know the entire story , just curious?

bluemooze and RH67 like this.
  12. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

No

chili555, nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  13. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

42 mins for that? The speakers might not pass but the reviewer needs a review too :thumbsdow

Manimal and bluemooze like this.
  14. mesaboogie

Sure thing. I am one of the people that told him to not read any email content in the video prior to its release. He didn't listen due to the previous stated reasons in my post.

nosliw, Fruff76 and patient_ot like this.
  15. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

It’s more like the seed of doubt has been planted. Can I, or should have I done better?

As you have observed, I really tried to build my system around solid (albeit not uber priced) gear. I have only been into this hobby for a few years, so I have to rely on word of mouth/reviews/forum threads as a foundation for making decisions. What I lack is experience in how gear is “supposed” to sound like, and what it shouldn’t sound like. As Ron so eloquently put it, I fall into the “newbie” category and not “the rest of us”. As I am finding out, this experience usually has to be learned the hard way

So how do the Impacts sound? To me they sound great, but this is with my limited experience. Am I missing something, is something funny going on? According to Ron and others, there is. Eric’s behavior is only reinforcing this possibility.

Kristofa likes this.
  16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The best way to learn is to listen to the good stuff , even if you can’t afford it. Try to find a brick and mortar dealer that knows his stuff and carries some highly respected lines. Vandies , Harbeth, Spendor, Dynaudio etc.
    Try to listen to a 5-10k pair with good electronics. Any of those speakers in that price range are excellent. Learn what sounds right. If you find a flavor you like, then try to find a speaker that you can afford that has a similar balance. You will have to give up bass extension and detail, but you can still get a nice setup

displayname likes this.
  17. TheVinylAddict

18. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Don't worry about it, we all make mistakes even with plenty of experience you still make mistakes and sometimes BIG and expensive mistakes.

As someone else said if feasible try to listen to as much equipment as you can in shops or exhibitions. Don't go overboard asking to audition things as traders will get tired soon unless they see money coming their way.
    There is always something better around the corner but it doesn't mean you have something bad. If you are happy with the speakers just enjoy them until you find something you prefer over them. Sometimes you just need to spend the money and make the comparisons yourself.

19. TheVinylAddict

I get it. At this point on the Impacts it sounds like a few things need to play out further, what is clear there was a collision (even train wreck) between a reviewer and a manufacturer --- you would typically not like to see it manifest it in the way it did, but it does parallel the rocky existence that has been Tekton to date.

I always try to remain objective in the face of adversity --- and on that vane, let your ears be the judge, decide based on performance - you made a decision to buy them at that time and felt it was the right thing to do. If there is something wrong with the product, that's one thing, but if you are unhappy because there is an implosion between a reviewer and manufacturer...........well, you know.......... remain objective.

RH67 likes this.
  20. Fruff76

Get the JBL L100 Classic, it’ll blow your mind:goodie:

21. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

The most important thing is that you like how your stystem sounds, that it triggers an emotional response and that you don't want to stop listening to it. Not measurements, or resonance, or a hard midrange, or even Eric's response to this review. The review may have criticized the speaker but it also handed out a fair bit of praise. Finally, it won't sound the same way in your room as it did in Ron's.

I wouldn't let this cloud your view of the speakers. You may not be inclined to buy Tekton after this but it's too late for that now. You already own them. So judge them based on how they sound in your system and ignore everything else. If you feel you can do better then sure, take that step if it makes sense. But don't rush into a change. That's usually how mistakes are made. This will all blow over soon anyways and people will eventually forget about this.

33na3rd, dennem, RH67 and 2 others like this.
  22. Fruff76

I agree, good advice.

23. mesaboogie

The point of new comers not knowing what they want is real in all fields. Your first or second foray into something has so many unknowns and at some point you just have to bite the bullet and pick. I have heard the Impacts. I agree they are fine for most new comer as the review said. If someone is coming from big box store speakers, there is no comparison, it will be fantastic, and you wouldn’t notice any short comings unless you were well versed at auditioning speakers...which then how new is someone that’s not new lol.... No ones first pair of audiophile speakers is their last pair unless they are just an enthusiast that crossed the line a little. The part of the video nit picking stuff is aimed at those that already have a palate developed, and begs the question are they the best way to spend $2k? That’s a question for a different person, not a new comer, as a new comer will like most anything that is “audiophile” just due to sensory overload. Almost all audiophile speakers will have so much more detail that big box store speakers lack.

If you enjoy it, enjoy it. If you think there might be better, keep your eyes open for a chance to demo and audition things. Looks for a show like Rocky Mountain or a hifi store that isn’t too far and make a trip out of it. Worst that happens is you develop your own taste and find what makes you happy, or realize you have all you need.

For the record, since moving beyond $300 bookshelf’s from high school, I have only heard 3 pairs of speakers I like enough I would want to own...and one is possibly just because it was my first audiophile pair and it probably shaped my view of what sound should sound like and what other future speakers should be...and I have heard a lot of speakers now. In fact I could never buy another set of speakers without demoing in person first just due to the fact i truly enjoy so few, but that doesn’t make all of them bad, just not my preferred bottle of wine.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  24. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Why? Do the actions of other people who buy the same products you buy somehow represent who you are?

I could see an argument if it were a symbol of some kind, but it's, basically, a tool. It does it's job or it doesn't. Other people who own this object are acting goofy on the internet, so now you don't like the object?

I'm asking this honestly. You're free to your opinion, but I see this with a bunch of products, and I honestly don't understand the position.

Kristofa and RH67 like this.
  25. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Some people can't handle seeing less than complimentary remarks about a product they own, whether it be audio, phones, automobiles or a slew of other products.

In a way, I get it. A bad review can make some feel like they've made a mistake. Some need outside affirmation to validate their decisions.

At the end of the day though, all that matters is whether or not the buyer is happy with the product.

Fruff76 likes this.